Micah (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, Book 13)…

Micah (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, Book 13) (edition 2006)

by Laurell K. Hamilton

Member:stephanie.spiher
Title:Micah (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, Book 13)
Authors:Laurell K. Hamilton
Info:Jove (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages

Micah by Laurell K. Hamilton

Although this installment in the series is more focused on character and relationship than any of the fuller mystery plots that you find in most of the series, it's still got a better balance than the similarly focused Jason, and Hamilton's descriptions of magic are so lush that the plot actually feels heftier than it is. The first portion of the book is far more focused on relationship and character, while the second half takes a turn toward plot, magic, and furthering the series itself.

I don't see this ending up as a favorite in the series for Hamilton fans who've been reading from the beginning, but it was a fast and satisfying read, worth the time.

I'd certainly recommend the series, and while it doesn't necessarily need to be read in order at all points (though that certainly helps), I definitely wouldn't start with this one since it's not particularly representative. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Mar 8, 2019 |
I really loved this book. I think Micah is just amazing. I wish the book was longer. It just seemed to end so quickly. ( )
  LVStrongPuff | Nov 29, 2018 |
The latest in the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series. The premise is interesting; in an alternate universe, vampires, werewolves, fairies and various other fantasy beings exist and (in the United States, at least) have civil rights. Our heroine is a professional necromancer; with appropriate magic, she can bring the dead back (temporarily). There are all sorts of reasons for this; you can ask Uncle Henry where he stashed the family silver, you can get clarification of the provision of a will, etc., etc. As a sideline, Ms. Blake is also a professional vampire executioner. It seems that while vampires have civil rights, there are certain problems associated with criminal law as it applies to beings that are supernaturally fast, strong, and able to control the minds of others. Thus once a vampire has been convicted of a crime, nobody takes any chances with appeals, etc.; you kill them right there before they get a chance to do the various fancy eldritch maneuvers.

So far, so good. The earlier novels in the series established various facts about the alternate world (which sometimes looks a lot like the World of Darkness game series; I surprised there hasn’t be a lawsuit, as there was over the Underworld movies.) Every major city has a vampire prince that is in charge of (and has a certain degree of supernatural power over) the other vampires in the city. There are various wereanimal “clans”; so far werewolves are the most important, but there are also wereleopards, wererats, werebears, and a rather nervous wereswan. These also have leaders (the leader of a werewolf pack is the Ulfric). Nagas, fairies, and zombies put in an appearance. And, since these are Gothic with a capital G romances, the heroine has extracurricular interests in all of them.

At first, these were relatively straightforward Vampire gets Girl, Vampire loses Girl, Vampire gets Girl or Vampire-Werewolf-Girl love triangle type stories. While riding home on the bus one day reading one, I explained the setup to the person in the next seat. When I saw her again a few weeks later, she was hooked. She set up a book reading circle where she and her friends debated whether Anita should go for the sensitive and caring junior-high-school science teacher and werewolf Richard or let the devastating sexy Vampire Prince of St. Louis, Jean-Claude, bite her in the neck. This is fun in a trashy and escapist sort of way. I’ve always found myself a little curious about romance novels as a psychological insight into what the opposing sex finds romantic. One thing that’s interesting is the attention to detail in the clothing of the men in these stories; apparently, it’s actually necessary for vampires to wear sexy clothes - something to do with their powers - and thus Jean-Claude and Asher and the rest of the coterie are always wearing ruffled silk shirts and tight leather pants and velvet jackets and the like. Perhaps “Vampire Eye for the Live Guy” would be a success.

There are, alas, some flaws. One is Anita’s extraordinarily casual use of firearms. Admittedly if you are dealing with the undead, it’s probably best to shoot first and ask questions later, but Anita Blake has a penchant for whipping out her Browning High-Power (enough gun for vampires?) and sticking it up somebody’s nose every time there’s a minor disagreement. Further, the author, at least in the early novels, is stunningly ignorant on firearm mechanics; in an egregious example, she gives Anita a handgun that “can be loaded with .22s, .38s or .44s”, apparently confusing three firearm models with a single weapon that can chamber any cartridge. (In a later book, she acknowledges the assistance of firearms and self-defense author Massad Ayoub in setting her straight on this). Anita Blake has a constant chip on her shoulder with authority; any encounter with a police officer, FBI agent, etc., always provokes a scene in which Ms. Blake has to prove herself to “the boys” yet again. You would think that since she has the highest kill list of any vampire executioner, word would get around among the law enforcement community. Further, Ms. Hamiliton has a problem not unusual in successful fantasy and science fiction series; the temptation to keep adding stuff to the world as you go along. Thus, the various vampires, werecreatures, necromancers, etc. keep acquiring new powers whenever necessary to help the plot along or get them out of a tight spot. The fantasy and science fiction that appeals to me the most is the most internally consistent; The Lord of the Rings and (to a lesser extent) Harry Potter are some of the best examples. In Anita Blake’s world, on the other hand, we are continuously finding new facts about the supernatural that we were apparently supposed to know all along.

This leads to the most recent novels, including Micah. Ms. Hamilton’s audience apparently indicated a desire for more sex scenes and Ms. Hamilton accommodated with unsettling enthusiasm. Her heroine, as the result of close encounters – extremely close encounters - with the undead, has acquired something described as ardeur, which has turned her into a polyandrous nymphomaniac. She’s currently involved with three vampires, a werewolf, and two wereleopards (I think; I may have lost track). I suppose there’s some chauvinistic sour grapes here; if the novels featured a male protagonist with a harem of exotic lovers; I probably would be snickering rather than being creeped out. As it is, I’m amazed the poor woman has time and energy for her day - um, night - job.

The plot of Micah is relatively thin. Anita is called in at the last minute to fly to Pittsburgh and raise a dead witness to testify in a Federal case. She has to bring one of her men (Micah) along so in case the ardeur strikes at the wrong moment she doesn’t have to tackle a stranger on the street. There is the usual confrontation with law enforcement - in this case the FBI - at the airport. She and Micah adjourn for an elaborate and anatomically detailed tryst which takes up the middle third of the book, and then show up for work in a cemetery at midnight. Raising the dead goes badly, a Browning High-Power is Not Enough Gun for a zombie, and Anita ends up in a hospital for about the twentieth time. She turns out to have a few more new powers and we’re left with some teasers for the next book.

Overall, three stars for the series, two for this book - unless you are particularly interested in wereleopard sex; then bump it up a star. ( )
  setnahkt | Dec 15, 2017 |
Novella in the Anita Blake series. OK for such a short book. The action part was excellent. I liked the plot, what there was of it. Skipped the sex scene as I usually do (TMI). ( )
  phyllis2779 | Aug 18, 2017 |
Che delusione! Questa non è la Hamilton che conosciamo!
Anche se, per una volta, non si è fatta l'intero entourage a sua disposizione, devo dire che Micah è un personaggio che merita molto, molto di più!

Il racconto è inutilmente corto, pieno di falle e poco introspettivo.

Nono, non ci siamo. Peccato.
  Nasreen44 | Jun 8, 2017 |

Laurell K. Hamiltonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Murello, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My idea of love is not everyone's ideal. Some have broken under the strain of it. This one's for Jon, who sees love not as a burden, but as a gift.
It was half past dawn when the phone rang.

There are lots of reasons to raise the dead - some private, some public. In this case, the feds have a witness who died before he could speak on the record. They want him raised so his testimony can be taken. So here I am, on a plane to Philadelphia, flying off to do my job.

But I’m not alone. Micah is with me. Micah, head of the St. Louis wereleopard pard. King to my Queen. The only one of my lovers who can stir my blood with just a glance from his chartreuse cat’s eyes. I was happy to have him at my side.

Until he mentioned that this will be our first time alone together. No Master Vampire. No Alpha Werewolf. Just me and Micah. And all my fears and doubts…

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515140872, Mass Market Paperback)

Vampire hunter Anita Blake is called on to raise the dead-while trying to suppress her ever-growing feelings for a certain wereleopard.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:11 -0400)

Vampire hunter extraordinaire Anita Blake arrives in Philadelphia to raise a witness from the dead so that his testimony can be taken with the help of Micah, the king of the wereleopards, but she is more fearful of spending time alone with Micah, her former lover, than dealing with a zombie.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,448,309 books! | Top bar: Always visible