Gaea by Robina Williams

I was very interested to see what this book had to offer. It is a fun, easy read with a very strong environmental theme ~ that doesn't beat you over the head. I like the detailed descriptions of some of the things that Man is doing to the planet for which there are other, less damaging options ~ if only we humans would take heed of them.
The characters were very personable and fun to follow along with. The Earth Goddess, Gaea (Mother Earth) is quite outspoken in her need to make humans sit up and take notice of what they're doing to HER. She is quite funny at times with her temper and sarcastic wit. My favorites were the poor Friars who were being teased mercilessly by Quant - a seraph who masqueraded as their pet cat Leo. The Friars are trying to become more green and are learning to care for a garden and be self-sufficient where possible. (While trying to explain the strange sightings of a disappearing/re-appearing cat..)
I applaud the explanations and interweaving tales of the gods and goddesses, the Titans, the Christians, and the Lord. The author plyed her words in such away that anyone can receive the important message of this book while still enjoying a truly lovely story. It is a very readable book that covers the issues of ecology, faith, spirituality, myths, and history all at once.
Gaea's discussions with legends such as Poseidon and Triton were humourous and informational. The friendship between her and the seraph Quant is very warm, especially since she knows the Lord has sent him to keep an eye on her. When she and Quant had a "meeting" with the Almighty Creator, he shows her his love for all of his creations, including the pesky humans and admonishes her that HE is the only one who owns and dispences vengeance.
This is the 3rd book in Ms. Williams' Quantam Cat series. I'm looking forward to reading the others: Jerome and the Seraph and Angelos (Quantum Cat) as soon as I can. I'm happy to have discovered this wonderful author.
I HIGHLY recommend this book to all. I do believe there is a message for everyone residing in its pages. ( )
  onebookshy | Aug 12, 2010 |
Third in a series, this fantasy novel is about Quant, a house cat who can cross between physical dimensions (and do a lot more than that).

Gaea (Mother Earth) has had it with mankind’s wanton destruction of her resources, including plants and animals. After being physically attacked by a man, and left in a ditch, Gaea is ready to wipe mankind off the map. Quant, now in the form of a humanoid seraph, takes Gaea to visit God, the Lord of All (the Big Boss). God allows Gaea to warn mankind, or otherwise kick him in the rear end, but if there is any vengeance or smiting to be done, He will do it (and no one else). The pair gather a few friends, including Briareos (with fifty heads and one hundred arms), Cerberus, the three-headed Hell Hound, Demeter, Zeus and Triton, to see if they can change mankind’s thinking.

Meantime, the brothers at a rural friary are entering the world of green living on the orders of their leader, Brother Polycarp. Their initial reaction is reluctant, at best, but they soon get into the spirit of starting a vegetable garden, baking with fruit from their own orchard, and occasionally walking instead of always taking the car. Quant uses them as an example to Gaea that some humans are trying to live the right way.

When those giant factory fishing vessels, with the nets that destroy the ocean floor, are at sea and about to deploy their nets, they are suddenly best by huge storms that come out of nowhere. They speed back to port to try again tomorrow. The same thing happens time after time; clear skies instantly turn stormy. The sonar systems on all submarines suddenly and permanently malfunction, for no apparent reason. Large parts of the world experience bizarre weather patterns, like dust storms and snow in summer, while those that are living in harmony with nature, like the friary, experience beautiful weather. Does mankind start to get the idea? Does he realize that using the resources of Earth in moderation is actually a good idea?

This is a really well-done novel with a strong, but not overdone, environmental message. The next time you litter or waste resources, just think, Gaea is watching. ( )
  plappen | Jul 30, 2010 |
Robina Williams has provided an amazing tale combining mythology, religion and the society as a whole. Gaea, classified as a 'fantasy' novel, is much more than a work of fiction as it eerily hits close to home with the truth on how man treats the planet. This combination is perfect for those that enjoy mythology, and the religious tones are not offensive by any means. Symbolism is strong throughout this powerful story of man abusing Mother Earth.

Gaea pleads her case to the Almighty Lord, creator of all. With her is Quant, a seraph that is special in his many ways and quite the character. The Almighty Source decides that Gaea may teach man a lesson, as long as she does not harm him, reminding her that man is his own creation and only he may punish. He acknowledges that man had his faults at the time of creation, and that man's time will pass.

Quant asks Gaea to have an open mind as the two stop at a friary. Here, the residents are busy working the land, growing flowers, planting vegetables and making as many efforts to be as earth-friendly as they can be. This improves Gaea's mood, but to her she worries as it is only a small unit, not enough for a positive change. She journeys with Quant at her side to see her family and ask of their help in teaching man to treat her better. Her relatives of course come to her aid and do their part in teaching man a lesson. Man learns that Mother Earth has her own voice by as she says "Look at what you are doing to me, but look at what I can do to you."

The reader is reminded that anything provided by Mother Nature can easily be taken away in her wrath at man. In this current state in our time, I personally can relate to the messages given as I too, am fearful for what can become of our home. So many changes have occurred in the world and environment, and from just when I was a child.

I love how we are reminded that all things... animals, trees, rocks and blades of grass have a voice to tell us what is going on, if we just quiet down and listen to the messages by slowing down and tuning into our surroundings. This is something I do often as I find solace in Nature and I for one am doing all I can to preserve it, especially for my young son. ( )
  AHauer | Apr 7, 2010 |
Gaea
Robina Williams
ISBN 978160619; 160619137

Gaea (Mother Earth) patience with man has finally run out. Her lands, waters have been drastically changed and damaged. Gaea’s creatures cry out to her in distress. Man has taken away their habitats, reduced the available resources and has killed their relatives. Gaea is now on the warpath she has decided that man has to be destroyed before the cause anymore damage. Her wish is not granted so she has to do the next best thing. She needs to help man realize they need to change their ways but how? She enlists the help of the Lord, his angels and her children (Titans, Olympians and other mythical creatures) to figure out what to do. Robina Williams did a great job giving the Earth and her non-human inhabitants a voice. I imagine that if animals could talk they’d probably tell humans how selfish we’ve been. We treat our natural resources like they are disposable and they will replenish themselves immediately. Nature does have the ability to replenish itself but the process is very slow and requires it be completely left alone. If we gave our lands are break now and then to rest. We wouldn’t have to worry about poor soil nutrients. If we treated nature with respect we would have fewer problems than we have now. Humans take more than their fair share of resources. When we ruin one area we just move on to another. Now we are running out of places to ruin. We are killing our animals and plants. We are polluting our water and air for what? The book is classified as be a fantasy but the problems it deals with is all too real. I would recommend this book anyone who enjoys mythology and/or environmental issues. The book would be acceptable for anyone from twelve up to adult. I think the environmental portion might just be too much from a younger audience to comprehend. I believe younger audiences would benefit from certain selections from the book.
I found Gaea to both very entertaining and well written. As an avid church attendant and a lover of classical mythology I was in “heaven”. I loved how both influence the story so well. Robina did a fantastic job of getting the point across that we cannot ignore the problems we have caused. We need someone to give us a wake up call like Gaea’s children in the book did. I had a really hard time putting the book down. I wonder if the other books in the Quantum Cat series are just as good! Gaea was a delight to read that helped reignite my passion for nature!

Author’s web site: www.robinawilliams.com
Author’s email: robina.williams@btopenworld.com
Publisher: Twilight Times Books
Publisher’s web site: www.twilighttimesbooks.com
Publication date: September 15, 2009
Retail Price: US $18.95
Format: Paperback
Genre: Fantasy
Gaea is available on Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Gaea-Robina-Williams/dp/1606191837/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_2
  teaching2learn | Feb 22, 2010 |
After a less-than-pleasant experience on earth, Gaea announces that she's had enough with humans. Enlisting help from her fellow gods and goddesses, from the underworld to the heavens, Gaea constructs an elaborate plan to annihilate the species. But will she succeed, or will divine powers (acting through Quant, Schrodinger's quantum cat and seraph) intervene?

Speaking as an agnostic, the strong Christian themes were initially a bit off-putting, but once I got over that, it was so interesting to see how Williams incorporated the Christianity with the Greek mythology, and even a little bit of Egyptian mythology. Williams painted a nice little picture of heaven, and I really got a kick out of the image of saints sitting up there, designing new animals for new planets and falling over themselves like crazed fans whenever they met a god or goddess. Gaea herself presented a spunky and (though she'd hate to hear this) completely relatable heroine, with Quant as her mysterious and powerful companion. For the most part, however, characterization is one of the weaker points. There was no real climax to the story, either, but because of the lighthearted writing style, I couldn't help but enjoy it anyway. Overall, I would give it three out of five stars. ( )
  Fluffybookfaerie | Feb 17, 2010 |

Gaea, the earth goddess, is hopping mad with Man because of the damage he's doing - Finalist in the Next Generation Indie Book Awards in Fantasy."With beautiful wordplay and a wonderful story, Gaea is an enriching addition to bookshelves anywhere. Utilizing Gaea; Mother of the Earth as a main character, provided the book with an interesting perspective with regards to the environmental crisis that we on Earth are now facing. I hope to be reading more from Robina Williams very soon. Gaea is highly recommended." ~ Kirsten Bussiere, AllBooks Review.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,365,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible