Living Oprah: My One-Year Experiment to Walk…

Living Oprah: My One-Year Experiment to Walk the Walk of the Queen of Talk (edition 2010)

by Robyn Okrant

Member:sandykaypax
Title:Living Oprah: My One-Year Experiment to Walk the Walk of the Queen of Talk
Authors:Robyn Okrant
Info:Center Street (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 272 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:memoir, entertainment, television

Living Oprah: My One-Year Experiment to Walk the Walk of the Queen of Talk by Robyn Okrant

I am a sucker for books that chronicle the authors thoughts throughout an unusual project. The first several months were entertaining, but the last few months I had to slog through. I'm sure that experience mimics what the author felt on her slog through her last few months of Living Oprah.

It is an interesting and quick read. The author is trying to derive some meaning from her experience for herself, but does pretty well not pushing an agenda on readers. It reads simply as a non-preachy re-telling of her year. Thank you! I hate the preachy gotta-learn-a-lesson memoirs that tell me what I ought to think.

I really loved the month-end wrap ups. The charts of money and time spent satisfied the voyeur in me. ( )
  dyeabolical | Jul 4, 2013 |
I like books about people doing things, & thought that would override the fact I am neither a TV watcher nor a particular Oprah fan. Was surprised at how much living according to the Word (of Oprah) involves buying stuff, and more surprised at an author who records her dismay and concern over what she is not only spending, but spending on stuff she doesn't even like or want. ( )
  JeanetteSkwor | Jan 22, 2012 |
I enjoyed this book as I love to indulge in self help conversations and books. Okrant has some good insights into what drives people to continually try to improve themselves and some apt warnings in regards to the perpetual nature of trying to live up to other people's ideals. It's a good read. ( )
  natarsha | Dec 9, 2010 |
for some reason I just couldn't get through this. It just kind of drove me crazy. Too much Oprah.
  mochap | Nov 2, 2010 |
Fun and insightful, but a little repetitive. ( )
  aemartin32 | Aug 19, 2010 |

"On January 1, 2008, a 35-year-old average woman embarked on a year-long journey with Oprah as her guide. Robyn Okrant decided to follow every piece of advice offered in Oprah's show, magazine, and website. Living Oprah is the account of what it's like to 'live Oprah'"--Provided by the publisher.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,510,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible