Mistwood by Leah Cypess

Mistwood

by Leah Cypess

Series: Mistwood (1)

349None31,285 (3.56)6
2010 (5) 2011 (4) ARC (3) conspiracy (3) ebook (4) fantasy (47) fiction (11) Galley10 (3) magic (9) mistwood (3) own (2) paranormal (2) politics (2) read (2) read in 2010 (4) romance (8) royalty (6) series (3) sff (2) shapeshifters (8) shapeshifting (4) shifters (4) signed (4) teen (5) Teen Fantasy (2) to-read (16) unread (3) wishlist (3) YA (19) young adult (25)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (foggidawn)
    The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner (cattwing)
    cattwing: This is the third in the series, so I would recommend reading the preceding two first, but King of Attolia and Mistwood besides both being fantastic stories, are full of the same kind of clever intrigue and plot twists.

I can't even remember what made me pick this book up. Possibly it was the faintly purple cover art. I am glad that I did though, because Isabel (the shifter) was such an interesting character. It reminded me a bit of Cashore's books, in a good way. I love when monsters turn out to be people! Over the past year I have been enjoying fantasy fiction so much more, and books like Mistwood are one of the reasons. I would definitely recommend this if a reader is looking for a little adventure, a kick*** female protag, and a bit of weird sci-fi mixed in. ( )
  bladechik99 | Feb 28, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this story, especially all of the twists and turns that kept me questioning what I thought who was doing what to whom.

For some reason, this book feels like a 4-star book. The writing is fine, but it didn't strike me as stellar. Also, the dynamic between Isabel and Rokan didn't feel as natural or smooth as it should have been. I'm not sure what it was, but something was slightly off. Otherwise, it's an excellent book. If someone can point out what may have been missing, I'd love to hear it. I'm still confused as to why I wasn't completely drawn in. ( )
  shellwitte | Dec 11, 2013 |
I've re-read this book more times than I count and it's still amazing every time I read it.

The tricky unreliable narrator is written beautifully. Honestly, how hard must it be to write a character with no memory of who she was, with a less than stellar personality and a stunning lack of empathy but still make the reader want her to succeed? How hard must it be to write a character with enough powers to deem her a Mary-Sue but always avoid her becoming a Mary-Sue? I'd say near impossible, and for the life of me I can't figure out how the author did it - hence to various re-readings. Well done, [a:Leah Cypess|2915782|Leah Cypess|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1271641014p2/2915782.jpg].

The political subplot was entertaining and unexpected at turns, I guess [a:Megan Whalen Turner|22542|Megan Whalen Turner|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1241223424p2/22542.jpg] has spoiled me, but I kept wishing for more. As it is, it's perfectly adequate for the plot and genre and a definitive plus.

I honestly hope we'll get a glimpse of these characters in future books. ( )
  Isa_Lavinia | Sep 10, 2013 |
As a Shape-shifter, Isabels' duty is to protect the king from any and all danger. But confusion has hung over her head since Rokan, the (then) prince, came into her woods, the enchanted Mistwoods, in order to bind her to him as his bodyguard. While she knows her sole purpose is to protect and defend the king, why can't she remember how to shift and, more importantly, why does she think and question less like the Shape-shifters of legend and more like the humans she has to protect?

I liked Mistwood. It wasn't completely what I expected it to be, but was full of likable, defined characters and had a good mix of action and plot development. While the basic story about a superhuman girl who defends the king is similar to Kristin Cashore's Graceling, the rest of the story was very different. Isabel's journey to find out her past caught my attention right away and held on to it till the last page turn.

The secondary characters were nicely fleshed out. I admit, I would have liked to see a little more of Rokan, the prince/king, and Ven, the sorcerer's apprentice, but what can you do? All the characters acted and spoke naturally, which is always a delight. The story became slightly predictable toward the end, but by the time it happens, you'll be so involved in the novel, you won't really care.

Mistwood has a good mix of fantastical elements, action, and even a bit of romance intricately woven together, making a story that I happily recommend to YA readers. Mistwood hits bookstore shelves May 2010, but is available for pre-order now.

MORE REVIEWS at my BOOK BLOG: http://brookesboxofbooks.blogspot.com ( )
  Kewpie83 | Apr 3, 2013 |
From School Library Journal
Grade 7 Up—For centuries, the kings of Samorna have depended upon the immortal Shifter for protection. When the Crown Prince Rokan ventures into the Mistwood to find the Shifter, she again allows herself to be caught, to be tamed, and to be tangled into the deception and danger of the human court. The Shifter is uneasy, though. First she woke with no distinct memory of the past and now she finds that she is unable to change shape. As she adapts to palace life and painstakingly hides her inability to embrace her past abilities fully, she seems to become more the Lady Isabel as she is known in court, unwittingly displaying human emotions and hesitating in her bound duties to the crown. As Rokan becomes king, he is thrust into danger, seemingly from all sides. Isabel learns much more than she bargained for as she hunts among courtiers for conspirators and finds her loyalties divided. This story unfolds gracefully, mirroring the slow path Isabel must travel to begin understanding herself and her place in the world. Her journey in self-acceptance takes place within a country in turmoil. Fans of Megan Whalen Turner's "Attolia" books (HarperCollins) will be drawn to similar hidden political currents within the court, and fans of Kristin Cashore's Graceling (Harcourt, 2008) will wholeheartedly embrace Isabel as a reluctant warrior heroine treading in unfamiliar waters of the heart. An excellent addition for all collections with a strong fantasy following.— ( )
  EBurggraf | Mar 14, 2012 |

Brought back from the Mistwood to protect the royal family, a girl who has no memory of being a shape-shifter encounters political and magical intrigue as she struggles with her growing feelings for the prince.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,446,053 books! | Top bar: Always visible