Faithful Place: A Novel by Tana French

Faithful Place: A Novel (edition 2011)

by Tana French

2,6541952,251 (3.94)364
Member:BBleil
Title:Faithful Place: A Novel
Authors:Tana French
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 416 pages
Tags:Fiction, Mystery

Faithful Place by Tana French

English (193)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All (195)
3.5 ( )
  tifhayes | May 22, 2017 |
4.25 stars

When undercover detective Frank was 19, he’d planned to leave his family, and leave Dublin to head to London with his girlfriend, Rosie. When Rosie doesn’t show up at their planned meeting spot, he finds a note and continues on, on his own. 22 years pass, and a frantic phone message from his younger sister, Jackie (the only family member he kept in touch with), brings him back “home” to Faithful Place, and his dysfunctional family to find out exactly what did happen to Rosie.

I really liked this one. It pulled me in right away! I also “enjoyed” the interactions between Frank’s family members (well, enjoyed at first, I suppose; as we learn more about his family, they are not so enjoyable, after all!). Have to admit that I wasn’t shocked by the outcome, though. ( )
  LibraryCin | May 8, 2017 |
Teenage lovers Frank Mackey and Rosie Daly's thwarted attempt of escape from Dublin's poorest neighbourhood develops into a grim story, revealed over twenty years later. French's characters and setting are so authentic that it seems they are real people, dealing with issues that might happen to real people. French, a recent addition to the list of elite mystery authors, is a fantastic writer who can portray tenderness just as naturally as unsparing grimness. Highly recommended. ( )
1 vote VivienneR | May 3, 2017 |
My absolute favorite book so far in the Dublin Murder Squad series. Frank Mackey was a captivating narrator with a fascinating story of the past coming back to haunt you. This is exactly what I've been wanting in Tana French's series. While I loved In The Woods and The Likeness, there were times when I was disappointed by the direction of the story or the lack of details. I can't wait to check out Broken Harbor! ( )
  jess_reads_books | Apr 17, 2017 |
By her third, everyone has figured out how Ms French writes a mystery. Yes, of course, "who done it" is important, but the relationships of the detective with the other characters are just as important, perhaps even more so. And in this case, our hero is having to deal with his old childhood neighborhood, and - as distasteful as it is to him - his family with which he is long estranged.

Because of her method, I'm of two minds, and I can only give this volume 4 stars. I prefer an author who gives the plot a bit more weight. In contrast, the Jack Reacher novels, for example, are a smidge too much the other way - we find out very little about Reacher or the other characters while chasing down the plot.

For my tastes, James T. Burke and Michael Connely have a better balance, BUT don't pass up French, she's brilliant, and this is an excellent read! ( )
  KyCharlie | Apr 3, 2017 |
The past haunts in Tana French novels. That which was buried is brought to light and wreaks hell--on no one moreso than Frank Mackey, beloved undercover guru and burly hero first mentioned in French's second book about the Undercover Squad, The Likeness. Faithful Place is Frank's old neighborhood, the town he fled twenty-two years ago, abandoning an abusive alcoholic father, harpy mother, and two brothers and sisters who never made it out. They say going home is never easy, but for Frank, investigating the cold case of the just-discovered body of his teenage girlfriend, it is a tangled, dangerous journey, fraught with mean motivations, black secrets, and tenuous alliances. Because he is too close to the case, and because the Place (including his family) harbors a deep-rooted distrust of cops, Frank must undergo his investigation furtively, using all the skills picked up from years of undercover work to trace the killer and the events of the night that changed his life. Faithful Place is Tana French's best book yet (readers familiar with In the Woods and The Likeness will recognize this as an incredible feat), a compelling and cutting mystery with the hardscrabble, savage Mackey clan at its heart.

Tana Frenchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Reynolds, Tim GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Alex
In all your life, only a few moments matter.

As her third novel featuring the Dublin Murder Squad opens, 19-year-old Frank Mackey is waiting in vain for Rosie, who he’s supposed to run away to London with. But when she doesn’t show, Frank leaves the Liberties area of Dublin and ends up in Ranelagh (another Dublin area) without her—thinking she had run off without him. He vows never to return to his dysfunctional family or the street he grew up on with Rosie, Faithful Place. Years later, though, Rosie’s suitcase is found in an abandoned house, and Frank, now a detective, returns to his old neighborhood to learn the truth of that long-ago night.

Detective Frank Mackey finds himself straight back in the dark tangle of relationships he left behind twenty-two years ago when the suitcase belonging to his first love, Rosie Daly, shows up behind a fireplace in a derelict house on Faithful Place. The hotly anticipated third novel of the Dublin murder squad.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,089,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible