Faithful Place: A Novel by Tana French

Faithful Place: A Novel (edition 2011)

by Tana French

1,925None3,539 (3.94)248
Member:BBleil
Title:Faithful Place: A Novel
Authors:Tana French
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 416 pages
Tags:Fiction, Mystery

Faithful Place by Tana French

2010 (25) 2011 (15) 2012 (15) audio (14) audiobook (12) cold case (19) crime (42) crime fiction (29) detective (17) Dublin (79) Dublin Murder Squad (12) ebook (15) family (33) fiction (173) Ireland (152) Irish (21) Kindle (19) missing persons (19) murder (44) mystery (280) novel (21) own (12) police (12) read (22) read in 2010 (18) read in 2011 (15) series (19) suspense (25) thriller (12) to-read (41)

English (132)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (134)
Oh, how I love the Dublin Murder Squad. I don’t think I’ve ever loved such a group of screwed up detective quite as much as I love Tana French’s group of characters. Well, maybe I love Chelsea Cain’s, Archie Sheridan, as much but that’s about it.

One unique aspect of French’s Dublin Murder Squad series is that each book focuses on different main character that was introduced in the prior book. It’s unique but also frustrating. I say frustrating because French leaves you wanting so much more from each of her main characters. Faithful Place is the third book in the series and stars Detective Frank Mackey. Growing up on the wrong side of the tracks in Dublin with an abusive alcoholic father Mackey is as screwed up as they come…Perhaps because of this, I found him to be such a compelling character. I think Mackey is French’s most complex character yet.

I listened to this book as an Audible download and just LOVED it! The narrator of Faithful Place is Tim Gerard Reynolds and he was incredible. His Irish accent, inflections, and voice changes truly brought the book to life for me. He just might be my new favorite narrator.

Once again, I recommend Tana French for anyone who enjoys a good suspense novel and can handle more than your average number of f-words. I will say that the plethora of f-words made listening to the audiobook impossible with my kids in the car. But it was so worth the listening challenges. ;) ( )
  jsamaha | Mar 14, 2014 |
I think this is the best Tana French novel of the three I've read. One thing I especially liked about it was that it seemed more Irish than the other two -- which is not to insist on some kind of nationalist agenda or essential identity for French as an Irish writer, but the intensity of attention here to a specific place and to how its economic and social conditions affected people's lives was really engrossing. It's also in many ways a tragic novel about precisely those same conditions and their consequences. You can't forgive the murderer, but by the end you can really understand what drove him, partly because French has spent so much time immersing us in the very situation that he wants so much to escape.
  rmaitzen | Feb 7, 2014 |
Much more subtly awesome than the first two. It did keep me up reading and I didn't want to put it down when I finally had to, so yay that. The thing is, each of her novels is about a different Dublin detective, and each one is more or less the same bittersweet, morally dubious, victory at a terrible price-style story. Which works pretty well, given the genre. But it makes it hard to rate a book based on how much I "liked" it.

I did find Frank's family backstory to be horrifying in a good way. Not over the top, just realistic epic alcoholism and domestic abuse that never quit and never allowed anyone to escape. I thought it was well done.

Anyway, four stars because it succeeds at what it's doing very, very well -- even if what it's doing is achingly sad and alienating to the protagonist. As so often happens, the rating system falls down before the question of "how good was the book" and "how much did you like it?"

I would like to see TF do something very different with tone and major themes, but she has a great sense of setting and community-building. ( )
  sageness | Feb 7, 2014 |
I have mixed feelings on this book. I didn't think it was all that great. I haven't read her other books but this one was dubbed the 3rd novel in the Dublin Murder Squad and I felt they had little presence in the book. I figured out who the killer was within the first hundred pages but kept reading just to make sure I was right. When I had to put the book down, I was thinking about what was going on in it. So its not all that great but it keeps your attention. ( )
1 vote Tara714 | Jan 12, 2014 |
Long ago, a young man waited all night for his girlfriend so they could run away together from the rough Dublin slum in which they were raised. She never showed up. Almost thirty years later, the young man is a police detective, and he discovers the body of his first love, murdered the night he was waiting for her. This is the first in a series of detective novels about an Irish murder squad. I previously read and enjoyed the second book in the series, which focused on the lone woman detective. This book was a more typical detective novel and significantly less gripping, since it seemed to lack the psychological acuity and moral tension of the other novel.
  Lynnkc | Dec 7, 2013 |
The past haunts in Tana French novels. That which was buried is brought to light and wreaks hell--on no one moreso than Frank Mackey, beloved undercover guru and burly hero first mentioned in French's second book about the Undercover Squad, The Likeness. Faithful Place is Frank's old neighborhood, the town he fled twenty-two years ago, abandoning an abusive alcoholic father, harpy mother, and two brothers and sisters who never made it out. They say going home is never easy, but for Frank, investigating the cold case of the just-discovered body of his teenage girlfriend, it is a tangled, dangerous journey, fraught with mean motivations, black secrets, and tenuous alliances. Because he is too close to the case, and because the Place (including his family) harbors a deep-rooted distrust of cops, Frank must undergo his investigation furtively, using all the skills picked up from years of undercover work to trace the killer and the events of the night that changed his life. Faithful Place is Tana French's best book yet (readers familiar with In the Woods and The Likeness will recognize this as an incredible feat), a compelling and cutting mystery with the hardscrabble, savage Mackey clan at its heart.

Tana Frenchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Reynolds, Tim GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Alex
In all your life, only a few moments matter.

As her third novel featuring the Dublin Murder Squad opens, 19-year-old Frank Mackey is waiting in vain for Rosie, who he’s supposed to run away to London with. But when she doesn’t show, Frank leaves the Liberties area of Dublin and ends up in Ranelagh (another Dublin area) without her—thinking she had run off without him. He vows never to return to his dysfunctional family or the street he grew up on with Rosie, Faithful Place. Years later, though, Rosie’s suitcase is found in an abandoned house, and Frank, now a detective, returns to his old neighborhood to learn the truth of that long-ago night.

Detective Frank Mackey finds himself straight back in the dark tangle of relationships he left behind twenty-two years ago when the suitcase belonging to his first love, Rosie Daly, shows up behind a fireplace in a derelict house on Faithful Place. The hotly anticipated third novel of the Dublin murder squad.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,482,255 books! | Top bar: Always visible