Faithful Place: A Novel (Dublin Murder…

Faithful Place: A Novel (Dublin Murder Squad, #3) (edition 2011)

by Tana French

Member:lasvegasbookie
Title:Faithful Place: A Novel (Dublin Murder Squad, #3)
Authors:Tana French
Info:Penguin Books (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 400 pages
Tags:Fiction, Mystery, Police, Ireland, Dublin, Missing persons

Faithful Place by Tana French

English (142)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (144)
This was an excellent read, and don't let the fact that it is number three in a series, as it is completely readable on its own. Best one in the series in my opinion. ( )
  sunqueen | Oct 3, 2014 |
This may be my favorite of the three Tana French Dublin Murder Squad novels I've read. ( )
  keithostertag | Sep 30, 2014 |
I was instantly swept up into the story and the mind of Frank Mackey. The first-person narrative that French employs is unique and effective. The family dynamics are authentic and captivating. The humor dry and sardonic. The author demonstrates amazing psychological insight into her characters and creates mysteries that are clever with unexpected twists. She throws emotional, gut-wrenching punches and maintains tension and drama throughout. I became a fan with Into the Woods where she blew my mind, and she just gets better and better with each novel. If you haven’t experienced the Dublin Murder Squad, I highly recommend that you check it out. ( )
  TheLoopyLibrarian | Sep 28, 2014 |
A novel posing as a mystery, very absorbing, dark, haunting. Sad, sad, sad, about broken people, broken families, what might have been. Disturbing for me because of horrible, horrible family stuff that I was lucky to miss but can barely stand to read about. I guessed the killer right away but had no understanding of the nuances of motivation until the very end when they were horribly made clear.
One of the best books of my reading year, although I wish I could stop thinking about the characters and their fates. I read a lot of mysteries and true crime and almost never am touched by them. Perhaps because for me the saddest thing is the haunted feeling of what might have been, and if only. This one hit me hard. ( )
  piemouth | Sep 23, 2014 |
French really knows how to draw you in to the story and get you engaged with the characters. This is the third in her Dublin Murder Squad series (although that designation is increasingly inapt), and it features Frank Mackey, who we met as the head of an undercover squad in The Likeness. He was an iffey sort of character in that novel (as you might expect of anyone involved in undercover police work), and now we learn some of the reasons why. Faithful Place is the street where Mackey grew up, in a family so dysfunctional it's a little hard to imagine how they all lived long enough to become adults. And although there are mysterious deaths to be puzzled out and solved, this is not about Mackey as policeman, but more about Mackey as flawed human being and the various complex relationships (first love, ex-wife, daughter, Mammy, Da, sibs, colleagues) in his life. A few thought-provoking moments, but mainly just a good story to get lost in. 4 stars
Review written in October 2012 ( )
  laytonwoman3rd | Sep 6, 2014 |
The past haunts in Tana French novels. That which was buried is brought to light and wreaks hell--on no one moreso than Frank Mackey, beloved undercover guru and burly hero first mentioned in French's second book about the Undercover Squad, The Likeness. Faithful Place is Frank's old neighborhood, the town he fled twenty-two years ago, abandoning an abusive alcoholic father, harpy mother, and two brothers and sisters who never made it out. They say going home is never easy, but for Frank, investigating the cold case of the just-discovered body of his teenage girlfriend, it is a tangled, dangerous journey, fraught with mean motivations, black secrets, and tenuous alliances. Because he is too close to the case, and because the Place (including his family) harbors a deep-rooted distrust of cops, Frank must undergo his investigation furtively, using all the skills picked up from years of undercover work to trace the killer and the events of the night that changed his life. Faithful Place is Tana French's best book yet (readers familiar with In the Woods and The Likeness will recognize this as an incredible feat), a compelling and cutting mystery with the hardscrabble, savage Mackey clan at its heart.

Tana Frenchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Reynolds, Tim GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Alex
In all your life, only a few moments matter.

As her third novel featuring the Dublin Murder Squad opens, 19-year-old Frank Mackey is waiting in vain for Rosie, who he’s supposed to run away to London with. But when she doesn’t show, Frank leaves the Liberties area of Dublin and ends up in Ranelagh (another Dublin area) without her—thinking she had run off without him. He vows never to return to his dysfunctional family or the street he grew up on with Rosie, Faithful Place. Years later, though, Rosie’s suitcase is found in an abandoned house, and Frank, now a detective, returns to his old neighborhood to learn the truth of that long-ago night.

Detective Frank Mackey finds himself straight back in the dark tangle of relationships he left behind twenty-two years ago when the suitcase belonging to his first love, Rosie Daly, shows up behind a fireplace in a derelict house on Faithful Place. The hotly anticipated third novel of the Dublin murder squad.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,307,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible