Looking for Alaska by John Green

Looking for Alaska (2005)

by John Green

Recently added byAlexaDudley, private library, akwael, kdm14, luxamasio, mfabriz, xholocene, tlpaul7, sophiaripley, casianne
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (HatsForMice)
    On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta (thesundaybookreport)
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (kaledrina)
    An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (mad.)
    mad.: this his john green's first book and although it has a completely different plot and characters it has the same style as an Abundance of Katherines
    Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More average-boy-meets-life-changing-girl.
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (Cecilturtle)
    Can't Get There from Here by Todd Strasser (Dainichi-Goddess)
    The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen (wegc)
    wegc: Both are about a teen leaving home, trying to broaden their horizons, trying new things.
    White Noise by Don DeLillo (alaskayo)
    alaskayo: The place to start with one of the American literary monoliths of the 20th century. Green takes a lot of influence--good influence--from DeLillo's stylistic uniquities and adapts it for a YA audience, leaving him arguably with a catalogue as intellectually important and influential for future generations.… (more)
    Cracked up to Be by Courtney Summers (kissthestarsxx)
    Paper Towns by John Green (chwiggy)
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (bluenotebookonline)
    Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A. S. King (kaledrina)
    Undone by Brooke Taylor (kissthestarsxx)
    To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Everybody Sees the Ants by A. S. King (kaledrina)
    Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde (curioussquared)
    Paper Covers Rock by Jenny Hubbard (kaledrina)
    A Separate Peace by John Knowles (themephi)

English (574)  Spanish (4)  Swedish (3)  German (2)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Hungarian (1)  Catalan (1)  All (589)
I'm a John Green believer. wonderful book and not just a wonderful YA book. his writing is easy but beautiful, as are his characters. this is an outstanding exploration of the meaning of life by teens who are both normal and extraordinary. ( )
  mfabriz | Jun 26, 2017 |
Well, it has some brilliant quotes, but I think I'll have to write in detail about the effects of this book later. This book was a turning point, and it is good, but there are some things that I do get when it come to the criticism of it. ( )
  anagabymtz08 | Jun 25, 2017 |
The first John Green book I read, and I fell in love.

Part one and two were great. There is always a before and after and it was perfect.

Thomas Edison's last words were, "It's very beautiful over there." I don't care where there is, but I believe it's somewhere, and I hope it's beautiful.

Alaska reminded me a lot of me. Her carefree spirit, her love of wine and books. Her recklessness. She's a brillent character. I was attached to her right from the start. I love the idea of her.

Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
returned this to my sister's bookcase about three chapters in, after realizing alaska is basically the same character as margo in 'paper towns'.. & i loved 'paper towns', so why go there? ( )
  sortafairytales | Jun 19, 2017 |
there are some people who love this one more than TFIOS and i just don't understand it?? the most i can say about this book is that it was nice. i kind of enjoyed it but it was very predictable and i never got attached to any characters. but maybe it was just me. i don't know. though i would be interested in watching a movie based on it because those seem to be good. ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
Miles Halter is a teenager from Florida who likes to read bibliographies and collect last words of famous people. He decided to go to Alabama to finish last two years of his high school education. Miles chooses Culver Creek Preparatory School. His parents are questioning if he decide to go to preparatory school to meet new people and change his boring life style.
Miles instantly became a friend with his roommate Colonel who gave him a nick name Pudge. The Colonel is clever, proud, and financially poor. He is a born leader. Miles got introduced to Alaska Young. She gave his life a new dimension. Alaska is a beautiful, funny, intelligent, and rebellious. Miles falls for Alaska. She became a center of Miles universe.
This book is made using a before and after counting element to build up a grand climax of events. It is an unusual, but effective way of presenting a story. It is a great read. Many teen topics are addressed here: smoking, alcohol consumption and consequences, meaning of life, friendship, belonging, religion, death and dying, grief, and healing.
The author of Looking for Alaska, John Green, made me think about life and our attitude about it. A topic of depression got brought in with Alaska’s behavior. She gave out many times signs that she is suicidal. Her attitude about dying and her struggle with her mother’s passing away was never addressed in a productive way. Her depression was not taken seriously. Consequences are tragic and unbearable.
added by sla3 | editschool review, sla3

Miles's narration is alive with sweet, self-deprecating humor, and his obvious struggle to tell the story truthfully adds to his believability.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Johanna Lewis

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
McCarthy, LindaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my family: Sydney Green, Mike Green, and Hank Green
"I have tried so hard to do right."
(last words of President Grover Cleveland)
The week before I left my family and Florida and the rest of my minor life to go to boarding school in Alabama, my mother insisted on throwing me a going-away party.
How will I ever get out of this labyrinth!
If only we could see the string of consequences that result from our smallest actions. But we can’t know better until knowing is useless.
When adults say, "Teenagers think they are invincible" with that sly, stupid smile on their faces, they don’t know how right they are. We need never be hopeless, because we are never irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible because we are. We cannot be born, and we cannot die. Like all energy, we can only change shapes and sizes and manifestations. They forget that when they are old. They get scared of losing and failing.
You spend your whole life stuck in the labyrinth, thinking about how you’ll escape it one day, and how awesome it will be, and imagining that future keeps you going, but you never do it. You just use the future to escape the present.
When you're walking at night, do you ever get creeped out and even though it's silly and embarrassing you just want to run home?

New York Times Bestseller

Winner of the Michael L. Printz Award

An ALA Best Book for Young Adults

An ALA Quick Pick

A Los Angeles Times 2005 Book Prize Finalist

A New York Public Library Book for the Teen Age

A 2005 Booklist Editor’s Choice

A 2005 School Library Journal Best Book of the Year

Before. Miles “Pudge” Halter is done with his safe life at home. His whole life has been one big non-event, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave “the Great Perhaps” even more (Francois Rabelais, poet). He heads off to the sometimes crazy and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young. She is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart. Then. . . . After. Nothing is ever the same.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:01 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Miles' first year at Culver Creek Preparatory School in Alabama includes good friends and great pranks, but is defined by the search for answers about life and death after a fatal car crash.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,182,639 books! | Top bar: Always visible