Looking for Alaska by John Green

Looking for Alaska (2005)

by John Green

8,047None396 (4.27)365
Alabama (92) alcohol (32) boarding school (336) boarding schools (50) coming of age (180) contemporary (40) death (330) fiction (481) friendship (188) grief (35) high school (86) John Green (46) last words (43) love (98) own (34) pranks (99) Printz (57) Printz Award (91) read (89) realistic fiction (97) relationships (61) romance (51) school (52) signed (42) suicide (171) teen (140) to-read (158) YA (408) young adult (479) young adult fiction (104)
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (HatsForMice)
    On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta (thesundaybookreport)
    An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (mad.)
    mad.: this his john green's first book and although it has a completely different plot and characters it has the same style as an Abundance of Katherines
    Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen (wegc)
    wegc: Both are about a teen leaving home, trying to broaden their horizons, trying new things.
    Can't Get There from Here by Todd Strasser (Dainichi-Goddess)
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (kaledrina)
    Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More average-boy-meets-life-changing-girl.
    The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Cracked up to Be by Courtney Summers (kissthestarsxx)
    Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King (kaledrina)
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (bluenotebookonline)
    White Noise by Don DeLillo (rickybutler)
    rickybutler: The place to start with one of the American literary monoliths of the 20th century. Green takes a lot of influence--good influence--from DeLillo's stylistic uniquities and adapts it for a YA audience, leaving him arguably with a catalogue as intellectually important and influential for future generations.… (more)
    To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde (yummyfishmeister)
    Undone by Brooke Taylor (kissthestarsxx)
    Everybody Sees the Ants by A.S. King (kaledrina)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (Cecilturtle)
    Paper Covers Rock by Jenny Hubbard (kaledrina)
    A Separate Peace by John Knowles (themephi)

English (404)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (407)
In the book, Looking for Alaska by John Green I read about sadness, greif and the lives of messed up teenagers. Pudge, the main character, loves collecting last words of people. He moves to a boarding school and meets Alaska and her group of freinds. The Colonel is Pudge's room mate. The three smoke and drink often. Pudge immediately takes great liking toward Alaska. She already has a boyfriend whom she loves and he soon starts dating Lora . The characters go through several problems and happy times before Alaska runs out on them and dies in a car crash. She was very drunk and ran the car into a police car. Pudge is devestated and so are all the other friends. They go on an investigation to figure out why she had ran into the car. Turns out she missed her mother's death aniversary and she decided to find the quick and easy way out of the Laberinth.

MY REVIEW--
First of all i love the title of the book. I will also admit i cried during the time Alaska died. I did not think she would but that's what made the book so amazing. This book is great to read for someone who is depressed or going through a hard time. It has a lot of sadness and touches almost every topic of greif that it makes your life seem wonderful. Alaska is a very sad character. She was the a type of person where she took the saying, 'Life is too short' close to heart. Alaska had no worries and did rebellious, dangerous things. This book is amazing and i really enjoyed it. ( )
  YuliaS.B1 | Apr 14, 2014 |
I think my expectations were too high because I read this right after The Fault in Our Stars which I fell completely in love with. That said, I still like this author's writing style and character development and this was a good book. I love the idea around the Great Perhaps and the final essay in the last chapter. I will keep thinking about this book for a few days - a sign of a good read. ( )
  sbenne3 | Mar 30, 2014 |
A novel about personal growth and development. Pudge goes to a boarding school to "seek for a greater perhaps". There he will experience things he had dreamt for all his life. Acompanied by particular friends, he will have the time of his life until things get messed up. Drama makes its triumphal appearance in the novel in the way John Green always includes it. Brilliant, dramatic, a novel that marks you forever. ( )
  Monmp | Mar 24, 2014 |
I don't know why, but I went into this book expecting there to be nothing that would make me sad. How wrong I was. Let me just say I nearly cried when I got to After. I didn't see it coming until just before it happened, and like Pudge, I was in denial, still hoping until the end that it wasn't true. But it was, and like any tragedy in real life, it takes time to heal. Although, I think a lot of my sadness came from me looking back on my own life and my tragedies, and the way I handled my own real situations like this, and I couldn't help wishing I had people like Pudge and the Captain and Takumi and Lara in my life to feel sad and question life with.

But really, this book was spectacular and I definitely see myself reading it again one day. ( )
  lilysreads | Mar 23, 2014 |
I had read [The Fault in our Stars] and while I had found it fresh and unique, it hadn't appealed to me the way this novel did. The friendship between the characters felt true and strong, with its ups, downs, little fights and unbreakable bonds. The crack in the middle of the book shows how transient all things are, but it also make's Dr Hyde's religion and philosophy class suddenly real: how do we deal with the unspeakable, the suffering and the mystery of life. A beautiful novel. ( )
  Cecilturtle | Mar 21, 2014 |
Miles Halter is a teenager from Florida who likes to read bibliographies and collect last words of famous people. He decided to go to Alabama to finish last two years of his high school education. Miles chooses Culver Creek Preparatory School. His parents are questioning if he decide to go to preparatory school to meet new people and change his boring life style.
Miles instantly became a friend with his roommate Colonel who gave him a nick name Pudge. The Colonel is clever, proud, and financially poor. He is a born leader. Miles got introduced to Alaska Young. She gave his life a new dimension. Alaska is a beautiful, funny, intelligent, and rebellious. Miles falls for Alaska. She became a center of Miles universe.
This book is made using a before and after counting element to build up a grand climax of events. It is an unusual, but effective way of presenting a story. It is a great read. Many teen topics are addressed here: smoking, alcohol consumption and consequences, meaning of life, friendship, belonging, religion, death and dying, grief, and healing.
The author of Looking for Alaska, John Green, made me think about life and our attitude about it. A topic of depression got brought in with Alaska’s behavior. She gave out many times signs that she is suicidal. Her attitude about dying and her struggle with her mother’s passing away was never addressed in a productive way. Her depression was not taken seriously. Consequences are tragic and unbearable.
added by sla3 | editschool review, sla3

Miles's narration is alive with sweet, self-deprecating humor, and his obvious struggle to tell the story truthfully adds to his believability.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Johanna Lewis

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCarthy, LindaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my family: Sydney Green, Mike Green, and Hank Green
"I have tried so hard to do right."
(last words of President Grover Cleveland)
The week before I left my family and Florida and the rest of my minor life to go to boarding school in Alabama, my mother insisted on throwing me a going-away party.
How will I ever get out of this labyrinth!
If only we could see the string of consequences that result from our smallest actions. But we can’t know better until knowing is useless.
When adults say, "Teenagers think they are invincible" with that sly, stupid smile on their faces, they don’t know how right they are. We need never be hopeless, because we are never irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible because we are. We cannot be born, and we cannot die. Like all energy, we can only change shapes and sizes and manifestations. They forget that when they are old. They get scared of losing and failing.
You spend your whole life stuck in the labyrinth, thinking about how you’ll escape it one day, and how awesome it will be, and imagining that future keeps you going, but you never do it. You just use the future to escape the present.
When you're walking at night, do you ever get creeped out and even though it's silly and embarrassing you just want to run home?

New York Times Bestseller

Winner of the Michael L. Printz Award

An ALA Best Book for Young Adults

An ALA Quick Pick

A Los Angeles Times 2005 Book Prize Finalist

A New York Public Library Book for the Teen Age

A 2005 Booklist Editor’s Choice

A 2005 School Library Journal Best Book of the Year

Before. Miles “Pudge” Halter is done with his safe life at home. His whole life has been one big non-event, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave “the Great Perhaps” even more (Francois Rabelais, poet). He heads off to the sometimes crazy and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young. She is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart. Then. . . . After. Nothing is ever the same.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:48 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Miles' first year at Culver Creek Preparatory School in Alabama includes good friends and great pranks, but is defined by the search for answers about life and death after a fatal car crash.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,437,251 books! | Top bar: Always visible