Looking for Alaska by John Green

Looking for Alaska (2005)

by John Green

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (HatsForMice)
    On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta (thesundaybookreport)
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (kaledrina)
    An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (mad.)
    mad.: this his john green's first book and although it has a completely different plot and characters it has the same style as an Abundance of Katherines
    Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More average-boy-meets-life-changing-girl.
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (Cecilturtle)
    Can't Get There from Here by Todd Strasser (Dainichi-Goddess)
    The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen (wegc)
    wegc: Both are about a teen leaving home, trying to broaden their horizons, trying new things.
    White Noise by Don DeLillo (alaskayo)
    alaskayo: The place to start with one of the American literary monoliths of the 20th century. Green takes a lot of influence--good influence--from DeLillo's stylistic uniquities and adapts it for a YA audience, leaving him arguably with a catalogue as intellectually important and influential for future generations.… (more)
    Cracked up to Be by Courtney Summers (kissthestarsxx)
    Paper Towns by John Green (chwiggy)
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (bluenotebookonline)
    Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A. S. King (kaledrina)
    Undone by Brooke Taylor (kissthestarsxx)
    To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Everybody Sees the Ants by A. S. King (kaledrina)
    Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde (curioussquared)
    Paper Covers Rock by Jenny Hubbard (kaledrina)
    A Separate Peace by John Knowles (themephi)

English (569)  Spanish (4)  Swedish (3)  French (2)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (583)
Follow young miles a shy biography obsessed high schooler as he travels from his Florida town to and Alabama boarding school. Watch him pine of Alaska the girl just out of his reach, before she disappears. This book is great for showing students about friendship and young love. perfect for high schoolers. ( )
  augustaspors | May 8, 2017 |
This book is so insightful. I took many life lessons from it that I feel I shouldn't have to live out on my own. I recommend for teenagers in high school. ( )
  maddiesullivan223 | Apr 28, 2017 |
Good thing I did not do John Green books marathon because he has the same pattern or formula. And I think I would get bored and uninterested if I read much like the same over and over. This is my third book of him. I noticed that he uses 1. a nerdy guy main character that was 2. going after an unattainable girl who is out of his league with 3. a bestfriend he can count on together with 4. some more friends 5. removing the shroud mysteries of life and 6. John Green has a way of numbering like this haha

At first, the story does not really appeal to me except the last words enthusiast character of Miles or Pudge.
Miles was a straight edge guy who transferred in Culver Creek Boarding School where he learned to take risk and try things he normally wouldn't do. He met new friends, fell in love and learned about his experience.

The book got me in its second part. If you read it, you will know why. Aside from learning some famous last words, I also like how John Green did not restrain on using words and instances that can be banned (i.e.pranks, drinking, etc.).

more thoughts, some spoilers
How will we ever get out of this labyrinth of suffering? If Alaska would choose straight and fast, I would be like Pudge, labyrinth blows but I choose it.

I agree with their theory of Alaska's impulsive suicide because that was how her character seems like. She can't contain her feelings and I think she really see her state as suffering. And now that she has the opportunity to end it, she did it.

I pitied her father because first he lost his wife and now his daughter.
I also sympathize Pudge because he was left distraught. Just when he thought his unrequited love would be reciprocated, she was gone in a flash. 3 It was hard to move on because there was no closure, whether she choose him over Jake or it was just fun time. More importantly, she left him with a phrase to be continued.
The to be continued part would be in heaven, I guess. haha (see, that's what I believe in)
  phoibee | Apr 23, 2017 |
John Green is a great writer who makes great statements about life. The stories them self are okay, but his one liners are what really make me enjoy his writing.

I love that you dont know what the twist is until it happens. ( )
  Kenzer24123 | Mar 25, 2017 |
Summary: Miles “Pudge” Halter leaves his hometown and begins his life at the boarding school, the Culver Creek Preparatory School. He is nervous about making friends but is taken in by his roommate Chip also known as the Colonel. The Colonel introduces him to his group of friends including Takumi, Lara and the beautiful Alaska Young. Through the story the group experience teenage dilemmas of love, friendship, enemies, drinking, and smoking. After a successful prank, Pudge, Alaska and the Colonel drink while playing True or Dare. Drunk and exhausted they all fall asleep in the room, but Alaska awakens in the middle of the night to answer the phone ringing in the hallway. When she returns she is distressed and begs Pudge and the Colonel to distract the teacher while she drives off campus. The following morning, the school reveals that Alaska has died in a car accident the night before. And with many unanswered questions that surround her death, Pudge and the Colonel begin to investigate. They eventually discover where Alaska was going from the help of Takumi. Together they pull off a prank in Alaska’s honor. In the end, Pudge, the Colonel, and the others are at peace with Alaska’s death, knowing that they will never understand her, but that her memory will continue to the people she influenced.

Personal Response: A story that hits close to me personal as I have experienced a death of one of my friends in high school. This is a beautifully written book about the mischief that occurs in high school, the friendship that can be developed and the battle to understand the reason for one’s death. Through the struggles each of the characters face in the book, they eventually understand and are able to accept the death of their friend through living a life for her.

Curriculum Connections: This book could be utilized in a middle school or high school classroom to teach students the dangers of drinking and driving. The effects of one's actions and being conscious of the life we choose to live. It can also be used to ponder the religious aspects of the meaning of life and the meaning of death. ( )
  ftakahashi | Mar 25, 2017 |
Miles Halter is a teenager from Florida who likes to read bibliographies and collect last words of famous people. He decided to go to Alabama to finish last two years of his high school education. Miles chooses Culver Creek Preparatory School. His parents are questioning if he decide to go to preparatory school to meet new people and change his boring life style.
Miles instantly became a friend with his roommate Colonel who gave him a nick name Pudge. The Colonel is clever, proud, and financially poor. He is a born leader. Miles got introduced to Alaska Young. She gave his life a new dimension. Alaska is a beautiful, funny, intelligent, and rebellious. Miles falls for Alaska. She became a center of Miles universe.
This book is made using a before and after counting element to build up a grand climax of events. It is an unusual, but effective way of presenting a story. It is a great read. Many teen topics are addressed here: smoking, alcohol consumption and consequences, meaning of life, friendship, belonging, religion, death and dying, grief, and healing.
The author of Looking for Alaska, John Green, made me think about life and our attitude about it. A topic of depression got brought in with Alaska’s behavior. She gave out many times signs that she is suicidal. Her attitude about dying and her struggle with her mother’s passing away was never addressed in a productive way. Her depression was not taken seriously. Consequences are tragic and unbearable.
added by sla3 | editschool review, sla3

Miles's narration is alive with sweet, self-deprecating humor, and his obvious struggle to tell the story truthfully adds to his believability.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Johanna Lewis

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
McCarthy, LindaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my family: Sydney Green, Mike Green, and Hank Green
"I have tried so hard to do right."
(last words of President Grover Cleveland)
The week before I left my family and Florida and the rest of my minor life to go to boarding school in Alabama, my mother insisted on throwing me a going-away party.
How will I ever get out of this labyrinth!
If only we could see the string of consequences that result from our smallest actions. But we can’t know better until knowing is useless.
When adults say, "Teenagers think they are invincible" with that sly, stupid smile on their faces, they don’t know how right they are. We need never be hopeless, because we are never irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible because we are. We cannot be born, and we cannot die. Like all energy, we can only change shapes and sizes and manifestations. They forget that when they are old. They get scared of losing and failing.
You spend your whole life stuck in the labyrinth, thinking about how you’ll escape it one day, and how awesome it will be, and imagining that future keeps you going, but you never do it. You just use the future to escape the present.
When you're walking at night, do you ever get creeped out and even though it's silly and embarrassing you just want to run home?

New York Times Bestseller

Winner of the Michael L. Printz Award

An ALA Best Book for Young Adults

An ALA Quick Pick

A Los Angeles Times 2005 Book Prize Finalist

A New York Public Library Book for the Teen Age

A 2005 Booklist Editor’s Choice

A 2005 School Library Journal Best Book of the Year

Before. Miles “Pudge” Halter is done with his safe life at home. His whole life has been one big non-event, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave “the Great Perhaps” even more (Francois Rabelais, poet). He heads off to the sometimes crazy and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young. She is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart. Then. . . . After. Nothing is ever the same.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:01 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Miles' first year at Culver Creek Preparatory School in Alabama includes good friends and great pranks, but is defined by the search for answers about life and death after a fatal car crash.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,471,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible