Looking for Alaska by John Green

Looking for Alaska (original 2005; edition 2006)

by John Green

Member:mashiox
Title:Looking for Alaska
Authors:John Green
Info:Speak (2006), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 221 pages
Rating:***

Looking for Alaska by John Green (2005)

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (HatsForMice)
    On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta (thesundaybookreport)
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (kaledrina)
    An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (mad.)
    mad.: this his john green's first book and although it has a completely different plot and characters it has the same style as an Abundance of Katherines
    Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More average-boy-meets-life-changing-girl.
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (Cecilturtle)
    Can't Get There from Here by Todd Strasser (Dainichi-Goddess)
    The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen (wegc)
    wegc: Both are about a teen leaving home, trying to broaden their horizons, trying new things.
    White Noise by Don DeLillo (alaskayo)
    alaskayo: The place to start with one of the American literary monoliths of the 20th century. Green takes a lot of influence--good influence--from DeLillo's stylistic uniquities and adapts it for a YA audience, leaving him arguably with a catalogue as intellectually important and influential for future generations.… (more)
    Cracked up to Be by Courtney Summers (kissthestarsxx)
    Paper Towns by John Green (chwiggy)
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (bluenotebookonline)
    Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A. S. King (kaledrina)
    Undone by Brooke Taylor (kissthestarsxx)
    To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Everybody Sees the Ants by A. S. King (kaledrina)
    Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde (curioussquared)
    Paper Covers Rock by Jenny Hubbard (kaledrina)
    A Separate Peace by John Knowles (themephi)

English (612)  Spanish (5)  Swedish (3)  French (3)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Hungarian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (629)
A few years ago John Green and several of his books were very popular. I remember this one being one of them, however, I never got around to reading it until now. I am so glad I got the chance to read this book now. It is about a boy who is kind of boring. He then goes off to boarding school where he meets a girl that is not boring. Then unfortunately the girl, Alaska dies in a car accident. Miles "Pudge" is never the same. Overall, I enjoyed this book very much. I love a lot of John Green's other novels so I was intrigued by this one. Even though it was very sad and somber at times it still was a great read and I would recommend it to anyone especially teens and young adults. ( )
  cconsolian | Sep 3, 2018 |
There really is nothing I hate, and love, more, than crying, over a good book.

This one ruined me. It made me go from careless to sobbing in a matter of seconds. It made me think. It made me realize things I never realized about death. And sure I can cry when someone dies, but this was real. It was so real, so real, and I can't get over it.
I hate you John Green
Oh but I love you all at the same time.

I hope it's beautiful over there too ( )
  marie2830 | Sep 2, 2018 |
August 26, 2018

John Green
C/O Penguin Group
345 Hudson Street
NY, NY 10014

Re: Looking for Alaska

Dear Mr. Green

I read The Fault in Our Stars, then I saw the movie and then, I saw Paper Towns so I had an inkling about how this one would go. I really enjoyed it and finished it in two days.

The whole, knowing someone’s last words is the kind of quirk I wish I had. Even though we’re all so similar, we want to be different; we want to know something everyone else doesn’t know. What do we know about life and death? The afterlife or the lack there of?

The mystery we think we are pursuing in this novel is accident v. design and surely on the surface that was the case. The others though are life’s mysteries, the 1. Why 2. Where and 3. When.

Looking for Alaska is a great read for anyone that’s interested in life, love and mystery.

Best,

ANS
Instagram handle: experiencesarelike
librarything ID: experiencesarelike ( )
  experiencesarelike | Aug 26, 2018 |
It was a good book, but I read Paper Towns first and preferred that. The characters were similar in both books, and so were the overall themes. ( )
  lrquinn | Jul 6, 2018 |
John Green’s 2006 Printz award winner is a page turner that tackles the emotional challenges of adolescence. Set against the backdrop of a southern boarding school, a group of high school friends struggle to build their identities within a framework of friendship, family, romance and death. From the perspective of new student Miles, the other characters come to light in vivid detail. Miles, who has struggled to make friends his entire life, is on a journey to uncover the Great Perhaps. His roommate Chip, aka the Colonel, re-educates Miles on the finer points of rule breaking and introduces him to Alaska, the beautiful and mysterious girl on whom the title is based. With a unique chronological format that evokes anticipation for an event to come, the story is divided into two parts: Before and After. Rather than separate the story into distinct chapters, Green has chosen to retell the events as one continuous experience punctuated by entries that mark the countdown of days preceding and following a tragedy.

At times funny and other times dramatic, teens will identify with the characters as they carry out their antics and night-time jaunts into the woods. Though teens will be most captured by the adolescent experiences described in the first half of the book, it is the message found in the second half that will resonate long after the book is read. Green has mastered his audience by using language that both speaks to teens and evokes emotion.

Due to profanity, smoking, drinking and sexual encounters, this story is best reserved for older teens. ( )
  valorrmac | May 15, 2018 |
Miles Halter is a teenager from Florida who likes to read bibliographies and collect last words of famous people. He decided to go to Alabama to finish last two years of his high school education. Miles chooses Culver Creek Preparatory School. His parents are questioning if he decide to go to preparatory school to meet new people and change his boring life style.
Miles instantly became a friend with his roommate Colonel who gave him a nick name Pudge. The Colonel is clever, proud, and financially poor. He is a born leader. Miles got introduced to Alaska Young. She gave his life a new dimension. Alaska is a beautiful, funny, intelligent, and rebellious. Miles falls for Alaska. She became a center of Miles universe.
This book is made using a before and after counting element to build up a grand climax of events. It is an unusual, but effective way of presenting a story. It is a great read. Many teen topics are addressed here: smoking, alcohol consumption and consequences, meaning of life, friendship, belonging, religion, death and dying, grief, and healing.
The author of Looking for Alaska, John Green, made me think about life and our attitude about it. A topic of depression got brought in with Alaska’s behavior. She gave out many times signs that she is suicidal. Her attitude about dying and her struggle with her mother’s passing away was never addressed in a productive way. Her depression was not taken seriously. Consequences are tragic and unbearable.
added by sla3 | editschool review, sla3

Miles's narration is alive with sweet, self-deprecating humor, and his obvious struggle to tell the story truthfully adds to his believability.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Johanna Lewis

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
McCarthy, LindaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my family: Sydney Green, Mike Green, and Hank Green
"I have tried so hard to do right."
(last words of President Grover Cleveland)
The week before I left my family and Florida and the rest of my minor life to go to boarding school in Alabama, my mother insisted on throwing me a going-away party.
How will I ever get out of this labyrinth!
If only we could see the string of consequences that result from our smallest actions. But we can’t know better until knowing is useless.
When adults say, "Teenagers think they are invincible" with that sly, stupid smile on their faces, they don’t know how right they are. We need never be hopeless, because we are never irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible because we are. We cannot be born, and we cannot die. Like all energy, we can only change shapes and sizes and manifestations. They forget that when they are old. They get scared of losing and failing.
You spend your whole life stuck in the labyrinth, thinking about how you’ll escape it one day, and how awesome it will be, and imagining that future keeps you going, but you never do it. You just use the future to escape the present.
When you're walking at night, do you ever get creeped out and even though it's silly and embarrassing you just want to run home?

New York Times Bestseller

Winner of the Michael L. Printz Award

An ALA Best Book for Young Adults

An ALA Quick Pick

A Los Angeles Times 2005 Book Prize Finalist

A New York Public Library Book for the Teen Age

A 2005 Booklist Editor’s Choice

A 2005 School Library Journal Best Book of the Year

Before. Miles “Pudge” Halter is done with his safe life at home. His whole life has been one big non-event, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave “the Great Perhaps” even more (Francois Rabelais, poet). He heads off to the sometimes crazy and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young. She is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart. Then. . . . After. Nothing is ever the same.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:01 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Miles' first year at Culver Creek Preparatory School in Alabama includes good friends and great pranks, but is defined by the search for answers about life and death after a fatal car crash.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,832,317 books! | Top bar: Always visible