Looking for Alaska by John Green

Looking for Alaska (original 2005; edition 2006)

by John Green

Member:AutumnBlazee
Title:Looking for Alaska
Authors:John Green
Info:Speak (2006), Paperback, 256 pages

Looking for Alaska by John Green (2005)

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (HatsForMice)
    On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta (thesundaybookreport)
    Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More average-boy-meets-life-changing-girl.
    An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (mad.)
    mad.: this his john green's first book and although it has a completely different plot and characters it has the same style as an Abundance of Katherines
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (kaledrina)
    Can't Get There from Here by Todd Strasser (Dainichi-Goddess)
    The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (Cecilturtle)
    Cracked up to Be by Courtney Summers (kissthestarsxx)
    Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen (wegc)
    wegc: Both are about a teen leaving home, trying to broaden their horizons, trying new things.
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (bluenotebookonline)
    White Noise by Don DeLillo (rickyrickyricky)
    rickyrickyricky: The place to start with one of the American literary monoliths of the 20th century. Green takes a lot of influence--good influence--from DeLillo's stylistic uniquities and adapts it for a YA audience, leaving him arguably with a catalogue as intellectually important and influential for future generations.… (more)
    Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King (kaledrina)
    Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde (curioussquared)
    Undone by Brooke Taylor (kissthestarsxx)
    Everybody Sees the Ants by A.S. King (kaledrina)
    To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    A Separate Peace by John Knowles (themephi)
    Paper Covers Rock by Jenny Hubbard (kaledrina)

English (486)  Swedish (3)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (495)
I haven't been a huge fan of John Green's writing, and for majority of this book I didn't think my opinion would change. It wasn't until I read the Readers Guide from the Collectors Edition of this book. There were many questions that I had concerning the writing style of Mr. Green, and his answers definitely gave me a new perspective on his method of writing.

Let me share with you one of the questions from the Readers Guide.

Alaska wasn't introduced as fully as the other characters even though the book largely centers around the effect she had on people (like the Colonel). Is that intentional?
I found this to be quite odd the whole time I was reading the book, and I wrongly assumed it was written unintentionally, making me think wrongly on the author. His answer is exactly what I needed to make me look at the book in a whole new light. I appreciate the intent he has in his writing style, and I actually enjoy the book much more after this specific question.

After reading Looking for Alaska, I am probably going to go back and re-read his other books, and give them another try. As for this book, I give it a 4/5. Since the collectors edition with the readers guide was a last minute purchase I realize that the questions I enjoyed so much, were not part of the book, and if it weren't for the questions, I would have a different opinion on this book. I'll probably re-read the book and see if my rating changes from there. ( )
  lizasarusrex | Jul 29, 2015 |
I've read quite a few novels by John Green. They were all wonderful stories. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
A wonderful book. Here I am in my 50s, and I am regularly finding that I truly love books categorized as "YA." Honestly, I am not the least bit certain what this "YA" category is meant to encompass. In John Green's books, it seems to mean dealing with the big issues life presents, particularly including dying as viewed by teenagers.

When I finished this book, I wanted to begin it all over again. ( )
  Phyllis.Mann | Jul 13, 2015 |
More reviews can be seen on Boricuan Bookworms.

Fair warning, it’s been a while since I’ve read this one, so I may be a little rusty.

Looking for Alaska is a wonderful story. From the very beginning, we realize it’s not your typical Young Adult book.

This book is split into two parts: Before & After.

Before introduces us to Miles Halter and his insatiable urge to search for a “Great Perhaps”. This leads him to go to Culver Creek Boarding School, where he meets Alaska Young. She’s like no girl he’s ever met before; she takes him under her wing and steals his heart in the process.

After gives us a heartbreaking plot twist that transforms Miles’s life completely.

I loved this book because of the fact that it gives us such a poignant view as to what being a teenager is about. Being a teenager means screwing up, it means partying, enjoying your life, and feeling invincible. This book was basically an anthem for teenagers everywhere, in my honest opinion.
We need never be hopeless, because we can never be irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible because we are. We cannot be born, and we cannot die.
-Looking for Alaska by John Green

The countdown to “after” was really stressful for me. I knew something was going to happen, but I wasn’t sure what. This countdown added to a kind of build-up that you couldn’t help but dread. I was thinking “do I really want to know what happens? I’m pretty happy right now, I don’t want this to end”, and guess what? I was right. Out of nowhere we’re hit with this plot twist that we didn’t know how to grasp correctly. That’s John Green for you, ladies and gentlemen. Curveball master, extraordinaire.

Anyways, what I also loved about this book was the fact that it dared break the norm. It dared to have “crude” language and “racy” scenes in order to deliver a more honest view of what being a teenager is like. This book was challenged a lot because it dared to break the social views about what is “adequate” in our society. This is why I love this book.

Rating: 5 stars. ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |
A decent read but the ending is predictable, and there's too much smoking and drinking. ( )
  DL_Orton | Jun 29, 2015 |
Miles Halter is a teenager from Florida who likes to read bibliographies and collect last words of famous people. He decided to go to Alabama to finish last two years of his high school education. Miles chooses Culver Creek Preparatory School. His parents are questioning if he decide to go to preparatory school to meet new people and change his boring life style.
Miles instantly became a friend with his roommate Colonel who gave him a nick name Pudge. The Colonel is clever, proud, and financially poor. He is a born leader. Miles got introduced to Alaska Young. She gave his life a new dimension. Alaska is a beautiful, funny, intelligent, and rebellious. Miles falls for Alaska. She became a center of Miles universe.
This book is made using a before and after counting element to build up a grand climax of events. It is an unusual, but effective way of presenting a story. It is a great read. Many teen topics are addressed here: smoking, alcohol consumption and consequences, meaning of life, friendship, belonging, religion, death and dying, grief, and healing.
The author of Looking for Alaska, John Green, made me think about life and our attitude about it. A topic of depression got brought in with Alaska’s behavior. She gave out many times signs that she is suicidal. Her attitude about dying and her struggle with her mother’s passing away was never addressed in a productive way. Her depression was not taken seriously. Consequences are tragic and unbearable.
added by sla3 | editschool review, sla3

Miles's narration is alive with sweet, self-deprecating humor, and his obvious struggle to tell the story truthfully adds to his believability.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Johanna Lewis

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCarthy, LindaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my family: Sydney Green, Mike Green, and Hank Green
"I have tried so hard to do right."
(last words of President Grover Cleveland)
The week before I left my family and Florida and the rest of my minor life to go to boarding school in Alabama, my mother insisted on throwing me a going-away party.
How will I ever get out of this labyrinth!
If only we could see the string of consequences that result from our smallest actions. But we can’t know better until knowing is useless.
When adults say, "Teenagers think they are invincible" with that sly, stupid smile on their faces, they don’t know how right they are. We need never be hopeless, because we are never irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible because we are. We cannot be born, and we cannot die. Like all energy, we can only change shapes and sizes and manifestations. They forget that when they are old. They get scared of losing and failing.
You spend your whole life stuck in the labyrinth, thinking about how you’ll escape it one day, and how awesome it will be, and imagining that future keeps you going, but you never do it. You just use the future to escape the present.
When you're walking at night, do you ever get creeped out and even though it's silly and embarrassing you just want to run home?

New York Times Bestseller

Winner of the Michael L. Printz Award

An ALA Best Book for Young Adults

An ALA Quick Pick

A Los Angeles Times 2005 Book Prize Finalist

A New York Public Library Book for the Teen Age

A 2005 Booklist Editor’s Choice

A 2005 School Library Journal Best Book of the Year

Before. Miles “Pudge” Halter is done with his safe life at home. His whole life has been one big non-event, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave “the Great Perhaps” even more (Francois Rabelais, poet). He heads off to the sometimes crazy and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young. She is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart. Then. . . . After. Nothing is ever the same.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:01 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Miles' first year at Culver Creek Preparatory School in Alabama includes good friends and great pranks, but is defined by the search for answers about life and death after a fatal car crash.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,461,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible