Looking for Alaska by John Green

Looking for Alaska (original 2005; edition 2006)

by John Green

Member:AutumnBlazee
Title:Looking for Alaska
Authors:John Green
Info:Speak (2006), Paperback, 256 pages

Looking for Alaska by John Green (2005)

Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (HatsForMice)
    On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta (thesundaybookreport)
    Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More average-boy-meets-life-changing-girl.
    An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (mad.)
    mad.: this his john green's first book and although it has a completely different plot and characters it has the same style as an Abundance of Katherines
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (kaledrina)
    Can't Get There from Here by Todd Strasser (Dainichi-Goddess)
    The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (Cecilturtle)
    Cracked up to Be by Courtney Summers (kissthestarsxx)
    Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen (wegc)
    wegc: Both are about a teen leaving home, trying to broaden their horizons, trying new things.
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (bluenotebookonline)
    White Noise by Don DeLillo (rickyrickyricky)
    rickyrickyricky: The place to start with one of the American literary monoliths of the 20th century. Green takes a lot of influence--good influence--from DeLillo's stylistic uniquities and adapts it for a YA audience, leaving him arguably with a catalogue as intellectually important and influential for future generations.… (more)
    Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King (kaledrina)
    Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde (curioussquared)
    Undone by Brooke Taylor (kissthestarsxx)
    Everybody Sees the Ants by A.S. King (kaledrina)
    To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Paper Covers Rock by Jenny Hubbard (kaledrina)
    A Separate Peace by John Knowles (themephi)

English (475)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (483)
Beautiful book, made me laugh out loud at parts and cry in others. Great story about growing up and the choices you make and the friends you love. ( )
  Verkruissen | Mar 25, 2015 |
I love this book. The main reason I read it is because it takes place in my home state of Alabama. I truly loved all of the characters in the book. ( )
  harleyqgrayson02 | Mar 25, 2015 |
The book Looking For Alaska was a wonderfull book.I loved all the drama and action that was there throughout the book.I hated the middle of the book when Alaska died because she was one of my favorite characters in the book.Overall i loved the book and all the detail,drama,and action that was in it and i would definatly read this book again.
  Abch14 | Mar 19, 2015 |
The book Looking for Alaska begins with introducing you to Miles Halter, a friendless boy looking for a more meaningful life. To find this life or opportunity, which he refers to as "the great perhaps", Miles parents let him go to Culver Creak Boarding School. When he arrives at the school he develops a friendship with his roommate, who's known as "Colonel". While showing him around school, Colonel introduces Miles to his good friend Alaska. Miles falls in to an almost trance over her and feels a true connection, she however, has a boyfriend. The Colonel also introduces him to his friend Takumi, and the four of them quickly become friends. Alaska and Miles continue to become closer, but Alaska seems to distance herself from everybody, and at sometimes bleeds emotions that no one around her can understand. Then one night, Miles, Alaska, and the Colonel are sitting in their room, and are admittedly drunk, when Alaska gets a phone call and runs out and drives away in a fit of anger and sadness. The next morning, Miles and Colonel find out that Alaska died in a car accident. The rest of the book is filled with the boys trying to find the answer to the questions, why was she so upset, and was it a suicide? Throughout the book they learn how to cope with death and discover more about who they are as people, and about who Alaska was. Eventually, they come to the conclusion that Alaska was upset because she forgot the anniversary of her mother's death, which was the day before, and was going to visit her grave. It is unknown if it was a suicide or not, but with the experience Miles comes to grasp with what death is, and the unknown possibilities of what happens to us after we die.

I enjoyed this book tremendously. I found that it showed a whole different perspective on what life and death is, and brought a different perspective to our world. The author writes with elegant and beautiful words, that intrigue the reader. I truly couldn't stop reading the book, and found it very enjoyable. I found that the metaphors in the book were also very interesting. The story was enjoyable from start to end. I personally believe that it is most definitely worthy of four stars. ( )
  Sydneyp.b1 | Mar 15, 2015 |
Looking for Alaska is a very insightful look into the lives of teenagers. I enjoyed reading it, as have many others.
It is risky to assign it as reading because of its use of profanity and sexual content; however, it is a fantastic introduction into the world of YA literature. ( )
  LFerda | Mar 12, 2015 |
Miles Halter is a teenager from Florida who likes to read bibliographies and collect last words of famous people. He decided to go to Alabama to finish last two years of his high school education. Miles chooses Culver Creek Preparatory School. His parents are questioning if he decide to go to preparatory school to meet new people and change his boring life style.
Miles instantly became a friend with his roommate Colonel who gave him a nick name Pudge. The Colonel is clever, proud, and financially poor. He is a born leader. Miles got introduced to Alaska Young. She gave his life a new dimension. Alaska is a beautiful, funny, intelligent, and rebellious. Miles falls for Alaska. She became a center of Miles universe.
This book is made using a before and after counting element to build up a grand climax of events. It is an unusual, but effective way of presenting a story. It is a great read. Many teen topics are addressed here: smoking, alcohol consumption and consequences, meaning of life, friendship, belonging, religion, death and dying, grief, and healing.
The author of Looking for Alaska, John Green, made me think about life and our attitude about it. A topic of depression got brought in with Alaska’s behavior. She gave out many times signs that she is suicidal. Her attitude about dying and her struggle with her mother’s passing away was never addressed in a productive way. Her depression was not taken seriously. Consequences are tragic and unbearable.
added by sla3 | editschool review, sla3

Miles's narration is alive with sweet, self-deprecating humor, and his obvious struggle to tell the story truthfully adds to his believability.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Johanna Lewis

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCarthy, LindaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my family: Sydney Green, Mike Green, and Hank Green
"I have tried so hard to do right."
(last words of President Grover Cleveland)
The week before I left my family and Florida and the rest of my minor life to go to boarding school in Alabama, my mother insisted on throwing me a going-away party.
How will I ever get out of this labyrinth!
If only we could see the string of consequences that result from our smallest actions. But we can’t know better until knowing is useless.
When adults say, "Teenagers think they are invincible" with that sly, stupid smile on their faces, they don’t know how right they are. We need never be hopeless, because we are never irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible because we are. We cannot be born, and we cannot die. Like all energy, we can only change shapes and sizes and manifestations. They forget that when they are old. They get scared of losing and failing.
You spend your whole life stuck in the labyrinth, thinking about how you’ll escape it one day, and how awesome it will be, and imagining that future keeps you going, but you never do it. You just use the future to escape the present.
When you're walking at night, do you ever get creeped out and even though it's silly and embarrassing you just want to run home?

New York Times Bestseller

Winner of the Michael L. Printz Award

An ALA Best Book for Young Adults

An ALA Quick Pick

A Los Angeles Times 2005 Book Prize Finalist

A New York Public Library Book for the Teen Age

A 2005 Booklist Editor’s Choice

A 2005 School Library Journal Best Book of the Year

Before. Miles “Pudge” Halter is done with his safe life at home. His whole life has been one big non-event, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave “the Great Perhaps” even more (Francois Rabelais, poet). He heads off to the sometimes crazy and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young. She is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart. Then. . . . After. Nothing is ever the same.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:48 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Miles' first year at Culver Creek Preparatory School in Alabama includes good friends and great pranks, but is defined by the search for answers about life and death after a fatal car crash.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,177,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible