Looking for Alaska by John Green

Looking for Alaska (original 2005; edition 2006)

by John Green

Member:AutumnBlazee
Title:Looking for Alaska
Authors:John Green
Info:Speak (2006), Paperback, 256 pages

Looking for Alaska by John Green (2005)

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (HatsForMice)
    On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta (thesundaybookreport)
    Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More average-boy-meets-life-changing-girl.
    An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (mad.)
    mad.: this his john green's first book and although it has a completely different plot and characters it has the same style as an Abundance of Katherines
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (kaledrina)
    Can't Get There from Here by Todd Strasser (Dainichi-Goddess)
    The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (Cecilturtle)
    Cracked up to Be by Courtney Summers (kissthestarsxx)
    Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen (wegc)
    wegc: Both are about a teen leaving home, trying to broaden their horizons, trying new things.
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (bluenotebookonline)
    White Noise by Don DeLillo (rickyrickyricky)
    rickyrickyricky: The place to start with one of the American literary monoliths of the 20th century. Green takes a lot of influence--good influence--from DeLillo's stylistic uniquities and adapts it for a YA audience, leaving him arguably with a catalogue as intellectually important and influential for future generations.… (more)
    Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King (kaledrina)
    Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde (curioussquared)
    Undone by Brooke Taylor (kissthestarsxx)
    Everybody Sees the Ants by A.S. King (kaledrina)
    To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Paper Covers Rock by Jenny Hubbard (kaledrina)
    A Separate Peace by John Knowles (themephi)

English (458)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (465)
Looking for Alaska is a very dramatic book, that captivated me a lot, and even encouraged me to read it more than once. The two main characters share many experiences together, during the course of which, the guy falls head over heels for the girl. For one reason or another, the girl is dating another guy which adds a component of drama to the book. Their friendship is interesting to read about. Tragedy strikes in the book, adding dynamic to it while saddening the reader. This can teach a valuable life lesson: to always appreciate and thank whoever sticks with you as a friend. The ending to the story was a complete plot twist, and I didn't expect it to end that way at all. ( )
  katietuv | Jan 22, 2015 |
Looking for Alaska i think touches on a lot of the issues faced by teenagers in a realistic fashion. It touches on class barriers, fitting in, peer pressure, death, and school. Those are, mainly, the stereotypical issues that we associate with teenagers are they not? Any book can create a story and incorporate these but the thing i loved about this is the characters. In reading this book you wanted to join the main friend group so badly it hurt. It is set at a boarding school which isolates the kids from their parents which i personally think is perfect for a young adult book. It shows how much kids can grow up. ( )
  Mollyb123456 | Jan 22, 2015 |
Looking for Alaska by John Green was an emotional touching book about death and how much one person can really influence and impact another persons life. It shows that just one friendly and nice person can really change a person's life for the better. This was a very candid book on the realities of what people go through and are forced to deal with in high school to some extent. One of the reasons this book appealed to me a lot was that I found myself relating to the characters and the problems they faced. Additionally, I thought it was interesting and different from others books in the way that it was broken up half and half into a before and after. This is an unusual however a prominent way to portray this story. One of the reasons I love John Green books is that they are normally unpredictable, and going into one of his stories I typically do not know how its gonna turn out. The tragedy that occurred halfway through the book was both shocking and in a way necessary to get the whole purpose of the book across. It made the book all the more able to relate too. Although not ever teenager is forced to deal with what happened to the main character, Miles, and his friends, many teenagers are effected in events similar to this. I do not want to give away what happens because it would ruin the whole book for someone who has not yet read it, but I can say the tragedy that happened in this book was very similar to a tragedy that happened to someone I am very close to, so this book meant a lot to me. ( )
  kristinjaspers | Jan 22, 2015 |
Powerful story of how lives are changed by knowing one person. This is a thought-provoking novel of the impact one person has on so many others. I liked how it the story is set up by days before and days after. I loved the characters. They were believable. Having the religion class take a prominent place in the story was creative. The class and its teacher brought many thoughts and ideas to mind. I especially loved how the final for that class made Pudge think. A modern YA classic. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Jan 20, 2015 |
I didn't like or hate this book, l'm more in the middle. It's an interesting book about life, death, how when you're a teenager and you're trying to find your path.

John Green is a great author, I adored [bc:The Fault in Our Stars|11870085|The Fault in Our Stars|John Green|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1360206420s/11870085.jpg|16827462], I even cried but this one I felt it was very slow and I didn't feel any connections to the characters. Maybe l'm not a teenager anymore but they all seem to be a bunch of alcholics and not caring about consequences.

It's a fast read, the message in the book is good but felt something was lacking.

I give this book a 3 stars ( )
  dom76 | Jan 7, 2015 |
Miles Halter is a teenager from Florida who likes to read bibliographies and collect last words of famous people. He decided to go to Alabama to finish last two years of his high school education. Miles chooses Culver Creek Preparatory School. His parents are questioning if he decide to go to preparatory school to meet new people and change his boring life style.
Miles instantly became a friend with his roommate Colonel who gave him a nick name Pudge. The Colonel is clever, proud, and financially poor. He is a born leader. Miles got introduced to Alaska Young. She gave his life a new dimension. Alaska is a beautiful, funny, intelligent, and rebellious. Miles falls for Alaska. She became a center of Miles universe.
This book is made using a before and after counting element to build up a grand climax of events. It is an unusual, but effective way of presenting a story. It is a great read. Many teen topics are addressed here: smoking, alcohol consumption and consequences, meaning of life, friendship, belonging, religion, death and dying, grief, and healing.
The author of Looking for Alaska, John Green, made me think about life and our attitude about it. A topic of depression got brought in with Alaska’s behavior. She gave out many times signs that she is suicidal. Her attitude about dying and her struggle with her mother’s passing away was never addressed in a productive way. Her depression was not taken seriously. Consequences are tragic and unbearable.
added by sla3 | editschool review, sla3

Miles's narration is alive with sweet, self-deprecating humor, and his obvious struggle to tell the story truthfully adds to his believability.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Johanna Lewis

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCarthy, LindaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my family: Sydney Green, Mike Green, and Hank Green
"I have tried so hard to do right."
(last words of President Grover Cleveland)
The week before I left my family and Florida and the rest of my minor life to go to boarding school in Alabama, my mother insisted on throwing me a going-away party.
How will I ever get out of this labyrinth!
If only we could see the string of consequences that result from our smallest actions. But we can’t know better until knowing is useless.
When adults say, "Teenagers think they are invincible" with that sly, stupid smile on their faces, they don’t know how right they are. We need never be hopeless, because we are never irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible because we are. We cannot be born, and we cannot die. Like all energy, we can only change shapes and sizes and manifestations. They forget that when they are old. They get scared of losing and failing.
You spend your whole life stuck in the labyrinth, thinking about how you’ll escape it one day, and how awesome it will be, and imagining that future keeps you going, but you never do it. You just use the future to escape the present.
When you're walking at night, do you ever get creeped out and even though it's silly and embarrassing you just want to run home?

New York Times Bestseller

Winner of the Michael L. Printz Award

An ALA Best Book for Young Adults

An ALA Quick Pick

A Los Angeles Times 2005 Book Prize Finalist

A New York Public Library Book for the Teen Age

A 2005 Booklist Editor’s Choice

A 2005 School Library Journal Best Book of the Year

Before. Miles “Pudge” Halter is done with his safe life at home. His whole life has been one big non-event, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave “the Great Perhaps” even more (Francois Rabelais, poet). He heads off to the sometimes crazy and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young. She is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart. Then. . . . After. Nothing is ever the same.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:48 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Miles' first year at Culver Creek Preparatory School in Alabama includes good friends and great pranks, but is defined by the search for answers about life and death after a fatal car crash.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,076,530 books! | Top bar: Always visible