Looking for Alaska by John Green

Looking for Alaska (original 2005; edition 2006)

by John Green

Member:AutumnBlazee
Title:Looking for Alaska
Authors:John Green
Info:Speak (2006), Paperback, 256 pages

Looking for Alaska by John Green (2005)

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (HatsForMice)
    On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta (thesundaybookreport)
    Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More average-boy-meets-life-changing-girl.
    An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (mad.)
    mad.: this his john green's first book and although it has a completely different plot and characters it has the same style as an Abundance of Katherines
    Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen (wegc)
    wegc: Both are about a teen leaving home, trying to broaden their horizons, trying new things.
    Can't Get There from Here by Todd Strasser (Dainichi-Goddess)
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (kaledrina)
    The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (Cecilturtle)
    Cracked up to Be by Courtney Summers (kissthestarsxx)
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (bluenotebookonline)
    White Noise by Don DeLillo (rickyrickyricky)
    rickyrickyricky: The place to start with one of the American literary monoliths of the 20th century. Green takes a lot of influence--good influence--from DeLillo's stylistic uniquities and adapts it for a YA audience, leaving him arguably with a catalogue as intellectually important and influential for future generations.… (more)
    Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King (kaledrina)
    Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde (yummyfishmeister)
    Undone by Brooke Taylor (kissthestarsxx)
    Everybody Sees the Ants by A.S. King (kaledrina)
    To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Paper Covers Rock by Jenny Hubbard (kaledrina)
    A Separate Peace by John Knowles (themephi)

English (451)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (458)
I can't wait to see what Sarah Polley does with this book as she transforms it into a movie! ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
John Green definitely hit it out of the park with this one, especially for a first book. I love looking for Alaska. It grabs you from the very first moment you start it, and doesn't let you go, even after it ends. This was my first John Green novel, and I was not disappointed. Originally, I was steering clear of his books. I had heard about The Fault in Our Stars, and found the idea of it kind of gimmicky. (Though now I've read it, I love that one too. Don't doubt it like me, just read it. There's a pretty good chance that you will like it.) However, I was introduced to him through his YouTube channel, the vlogbrothers, and enjoyed his personality so much that I decided I just had to read this book.
This book comes in two parts, and I've decided to review each part independently of the other.The two parts are so completely different that I feel it hard to lump them into one description.
Before
The first part of the book was my favorite. It was absolutely hilarious, and I loved the antics of Alaska, Pudge, The Fox, and The Colonial. I can't say they make great role models, but I wasn't reading this book to find people to model my life after. I thought they were the funniest group of people, and I loved reading about their pranks and various escapades. I laughed pretty much the entire way through, absolutely loving the book. I couldn't put it down, not because it was suspenseful or anything, but because I was so entertained that I didn't want to. It was enjoyable all the way to the last page.
After
This part of the book was not absolutely hilarious. I'm not going to spoil (or, at least, I hope I won't), but I am going to say that it is really sad. I was on the brink of tears pretty much the whole time. It was moving, heartwarming, and meaningful, and a great, but sad way to end the story. I never saw it coming, and was completely blindsided, just like Pudge. Despite the fact that most of it was somber, it still had its entertaining moments. This second part really pulled at your heartstrings, and while I usual don't go for that kind of stuff, I still loved it.
This book was fantastic. You should read it ASAP. Literally, as soon as possible. Trust me.
Four Point Five out of Five Stars
See it on: http://themessengerreviews.blogspot.com/2013/12/looking-for-alaska.html ( )
  TheMessengerReviews | Nov 23, 2014 |
This book was fantastic. The essay at the end almost made me cry. Almost. The only reason it didn't was that I have a heart of ice.

I may post a more comprehensive review at some point soon, but give me at least a week or so to recover. ( )
  ellsie98 | Nov 16, 2014 |
Looking for Alaska
Bryan O'Keeffe

I really enjoyed this book. I always enjoy everything that John Green writes. He is a really great young adult writer and is able to connect with young adults. The one hardest thing about reading this book from the rest is the lack of pictures. This book is a chapter book and all of the imagery was needed to be done in the mind. I feel that John Green was able to write well enough to where the reader could imagine the story in their head. Everything seemed to flow extremely well which was why I had an easy time seeing the book play out in my head. All of the characters were believable as well. I did imagine myself as a high schooler who was sent off to this boarding school. I had been the new kid several times as a child and knew what it felt like to want to fit in. As well as having a crush on the best looking girl in the school. I didn't like how some chapters were extremely longer than others, or that they were even a lot shorter than others. It was really hard at times to find a stopping point in the book because of the chapters. However I did really like the fact that the chapters were named in decreasing order of when Alaska disappeared. For example one chapter is "one hundred twenty-two days before" or "fifty-six days after". I thought that was really helpful in establishing some sort of time line or passage of time in the book. The other thing I really liked was the fact that Pudge was into famous last words of people. I had never heard of something so cool to be fascinated about. After I read the book, in a section on the last few pages, John Green revealed that he was essentially writing about himself, and that he was fascinated about famous last words. The message of this book was pretty clear towards the end, don't blame yourself for other's mistakes. ( )
  bokeef2 | Nov 10, 2014 |
There aren't enough words in the human language to use to describe how amazing this book is. It's so well written, and a must read for those in high school. I'm not a big advocate for highlighting in books but there were moments when I had to grab my highlighter and mark some very powerful lines. ( )
  rabidmunkee | Nov 7, 2014 |
Miles Halter is a teenager from Florida who likes to read bibliographies and collect last words of famous people. He decided to go to Alabama to finish last two years of his high school education. Miles chooses Culver Creek Preparatory School. His parents are questioning if he decide to go to preparatory school to meet new people and change his boring life style.
Miles instantly became a friend with his roommate Colonel who gave him a nick name Pudge. The Colonel is clever, proud, and financially poor. He is a born leader. Miles got introduced to Alaska Young. She gave his life a new dimension. Alaska is a beautiful, funny, intelligent, and rebellious. Miles falls for Alaska. She became a center of Miles universe.
This book is made using a before and after counting element to build up a grand climax of events. It is an unusual, but effective way of presenting a story. It is a great read. Many teen topics are addressed here: smoking, alcohol consumption and consequences, meaning of life, friendship, belonging, religion, death and dying, grief, and healing.
The author of Looking for Alaska, John Green, made me think about life and our attitude about it. A topic of depression got brought in with Alaska’s behavior. She gave out many times signs that she is suicidal. Her attitude about dying and her struggle with her mother’s passing away was never addressed in a productive way. Her depression was not taken seriously. Consequences are tragic and unbearable.
added by sla3 | editschool review, sla3

Miles's narration is alive with sweet, self-deprecating humor, and his obvious struggle to tell the story truthfully adds to his believability.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Johanna Lewis

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCarthy, LindaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my family: Sydney Green, Mike Green, and Hank Green
"I have tried so hard to do right."
(last words of President Grover Cleveland)
The week before I left my family and Florida and the rest of my minor life to go to boarding school in Alabama, my mother insisted on throwing me a going-away party.
How will I ever get out of this labyrinth!
If only we could see the string of consequences that result from our smallest actions. But we can’t know better until knowing is useless.
When adults say, "Teenagers think they are invincible" with that sly, stupid smile on their faces, they don’t know how right they are. We need never be hopeless, because we are never irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible because we are. We cannot be born, and we cannot die. Like all energy, we can only change shapes and sizes and manifestations. They forget that when they are old. They get scared of losing and failing.
You spend your whole life stuck in the labyrinth, thinking about how you’ll escape it one day, and how awesome it will be, and imagining that future keeps you going, but you never do it. You just use the future to escape the present.
When you're walking at night, do you ever get creeped out and even though it's silly and embarrassing you just want to run home?

New York Times Bestseller

Winner of the Michael L. Printz Award

An ALA Best Book for Young Adults

An ALA Quick Pick

A Los Angeles Times 2005 Book Prize Finalist

A New York Public Library Book for the Teen Age

A 2005 Booklist Editor’s Choice

A 2005 School Library Journal Best Book of the Year

Before. Miles “Pudge” Halter is done with his safe life at home. His whole life has been one big non-event, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave “the Great Perhaps” even more (Francois Rabelais, poet). He heads off to the sometimes crazy and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young. She is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart. Then. . . . After. Nothing is ever the same.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:48 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Miles' first year at Culver Creek Preparatory School in Alabama includes good friends and great pranks, but is defined by the search for answers about life and death after a fatal car crash.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,390,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible