Looking for Alaska by John Green

Looking for Alaska (original 2005; edition 2006)

by John Green

Member:AutumnBlazee
Title:Looking for Alaska
Authors:John Green
Info:Speak (2006), Paperback, 256 pages

Looking for Alaska by John Green (2005)

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (HatsForMice)
    On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta (thesundaybookreport)
    An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (mad.)
    mad.: this his john green's first book and although it has a completely different plot and characters it has the same style as an Abundance of Katherines
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (kaledrina)
    Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More average-boy-meets-life-changing-girl.
    Can't Get There from Here by Todd Strasser (Dainichi-Goddess)
    The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Cracked up to Be by Courtney Summers (kissthestarsxx)
    Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen (wegc)
    wegc: Both are about a teen leaving home, trying to broaden their horizons, trying new things.
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (Cecilturtle)
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (bluenotebookonline)
    Paper Towns by John Green (chwiggy)
    Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King (kaledrina)
    White Noise by Don DeLillo (rickyrickyricky)
    rickyrickyricky: The place to start with one of the American literary monoliths of the 20th century. Green takes a lot of influence--good influence--from DeLillo's stylistic uniquities and adapts it for a YA audience, leaving him arguably with a catalogue as intellectually important and influential for future generations.… (more)
    Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde (curioussquared)
    Undone by Brooke Taylor (kissthestarsxx)
    Everybody Sees the Ants by A.S. King (kaledrina)
    To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Paper Covers Rock by Jenny Hubbard (kaledrina)
    A Separate Peace by John Knowles (themephi)

English (538)  Swedish (3)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (547)
Not a Katherine in sight!! Woo hoo! ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Looking for Alaska is a great novel for Young Adults. It is about a boy named Miles Halter who moves from Florida to a boarding school in Alabama. While at Culver Creek Boarding school, Miles falls into a group of friends led by the beautiful and crazy Alaska Young. Alaska transforms Miles boring life and gives him a new perspective. He falls for her even though she is clearly damaged from events in her past and is not the best influence. The number one thing i loved about this book was the characters. I loved miles AKA Pudge and his fascination with famous last words. I also loved the adventurous Alaska and was sympathetic to what she was going through. This a sad and humorous story that is compelling and sure to capture your attention. It is a great coming of age story about characters who are searching for life's meaning. This book was short but i didn't necessarily think it was fast paced. It took me a little while to get into the book but once i did i couldn't put it down. ( )
  brookelmartin | Jun 9, 2016 |
I've very much enjoyed other YA, and other works by Green, but this is ridiculous. Fans of Nicholas Sparks might like it, if they want something a little edgier. But it's just as cliched, just as manipulative. I got through one disc of six because I was kinda trapped, but I will not pick it up again (not even for the Challenge that asks us to finish a book we'd earlier put down, which is gonna be a tough one for me).

The narration, by Green, made it worse. At least, so far, the voices are consistent... amateurs often forget who sounds like what when reading aloud. But the girls, Alaska and Sara(h?) sound consistently ugly: shrill and stupid. Most sound stupid, actually - and through voices and descriptions it seems like Green is determined to make Alabama seem like an even more miserable place than the stereotypes he's using would indicate.

Anyway, I took the time to search out summaries that include spoilers, to make sure I wasn't missing some wonderful developments by not sticking with this, and, well, nope. Not believable in many ways, trivial in others, and done so much better by so many other writers in yet others.

Do yourself a favor, skip this and read a real book. Or at least a better Green. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
Green's debut YA novel follows a year in the life of high school junior Miles Halter, a friendless Floridian who begged his parents to enroll him in the Culver Creek boarding school. Miles dreams of starting anew at his elite Alabama prep school, of finding Francois Rabelais's "The Great Perhaps." At school, he falls in with a prankster of a roommate, the Colonel, and the sassy, sexy, messed-up Alaska Young. For an unforgettable 128 days, Miles learns life lessons in love, loyalty, friendship, literature, and poetry, as well as experiences the thrill of a first girlfriend. When tragedy strikes Culver Creek, Miles is forced to undertake an even closer examination of his own character and relationship with his friends.

This is an outstanding coming-of-age novel that has already proved to be a favorite teen read. It doesn't resort to a cop out of a "happily ever after" ending, but the characters each seek closure on their own terms. The characters are well-drawn, witty, and full of individual quirks and spunk.

Even though it's a YA novel it hs a great message as well s being a good story. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Well this wasn't bad, but the whole "mysterious" female who's worshipped by every teenage boy she encounters wears a bit thin. Alaska is like a queen presiding over her kingdom, favouring one, manipulating another. Talk about toxic friendships! ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
Miles Halter is a teenager from Florida who likes to read bibliographies and collect last words of famous people. He decided to go to Alabama to finish last two years of his high school education. Miles chooses Culver Creek Preparatory School. His parents are questioning if he decide to go to preparatory school to meet new people and change his boring life style.
Miles instantly became a friend with his roommate Colonel who gave him a nick name Pudge. The Colonel is clever, proud, and financially poor. He is a born leader. Miles got introduced to Alaska Young. She gave his life a new dimension. Alaska is a beautiful, funny, intelligent, and rebellious. Miles falls for Alaska. She became a center of Miles universe.
This book is made using a before and after counting element to build up a grand climax of events. It is an unusual, but effective way of presenting a story. It is a great read. Many teen topics are addressed here: smoking, alcohol consumption and consequences, meaning of life, friendship, belonging, religion, death and dying, grief, and healing.
The author of Looking for Alaska, John Green, made me think about life and our attitude about it. A topic of depression got brought in with Alaska’s behavior. She gave out many times signs that she is suicidal. Her attitude about dying and her struggle with her mother’s passing away was never addressed in a productive way. Her depression was not taken seriously. Consequences are tragic and unbearable.
added by sla3 | editschool review, sla3

Miles's narration is alive with sweet, self-deprecating humor, and his obvious struggle to tell the story truthfully adds to his believability.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Johanna Lewis

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCarthy, LindaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my family: Sydney Green, Mike Green, and Hank Green
"I have tried so hard to do right."
(last words of President Grover Cleveland)
The week before I left my family and Florida and the rest of my minor life to go to boarding school in Alabama, my mother insisted on throwing me a going-away party.
How will I ever get out of this labyrinth!
If only we could see the string of consequences that result from our smallest actions. But we can’t know better until knowing is useless.
When adults say, "Teenagers think they are invincible" with that sly, stupid smile on their faces, they don’t know how right they are. We need never be hopeless, because we are never irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible because we are. We cannot be born, and we cannot die. Like all energy, we can only change shapes and sizes and manifestations. They forget that when they are old. They get scared of losing and failing.
You spend your whole life stuck in the labyrinth, thinking about how you’ll escape it one day, and how awesome it will be, and imagining that future keeps you going, but you never do it. You just use the future to escape the present.
When you're walking at night, do you ever get creeped out and even though it's silly and embarrassing you just want to run home?

New York Times Bestseller

Winner of the Michael L. Printz Award

An ALA Best Book for Young Adults

An ALA Quick Pick

A Los Angeles Times 2005 Book Prize Finalist

A New York Public Library Book for the Teen Age

A 2005 Booklist Editor’s Choice

A 2005 School Library Journal Best Book of the Year

Before. Miles “Pudge” Halter is done with his safe life at home. His whole life has been one big non-event, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave “the Great Perhaps” even more (Francois Rabelais, poet). He heads off to the sometimes crazy and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young. She is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart. Then. . . . After. Nothing is ever the same.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:01 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Miles' first year at Culver Creek Preparatory School in Alabama includes good friends and great pranks, but is defined by the search for answers about life and death after a fatal car crash.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,868,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible