Looking for Alaska by John Green

Looking for Alaska (original 2005; edition 2006)

by John Green

Member:AutumnBlazee
Title:Looking for Alaska
Authors:John Green
Info:

Looking for Alaska by John Green (2005)

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (HatsForMice)
    On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta (thesundaybookreport)
    Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More average-boy-meets-life-changing-girl.
    An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (mad.)
    mad.: this his john green's first book and although it has a completely different plot and characters it has the same style as an Abundance of Katherines
    Can't Get There from Here by Todd Strasser (Dainichi-Goddess)
    Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen (wegc)
    wegc: Both are about a teen leaving home, trying to broaden their horizons, trying new things.
    The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Cracked up to Be by Courtney Summers (kissthestarsxx)
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (kaledrina)
    Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King (kaledrina)
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (bluenotebookonline)
    White Noise by Don DeLillo (rickyrickyricky)
    rickyrickyricky: The place to start with one of the American literary monoliths of the 20th century. Green takes a lot of influence--good influence--from DeLillo's stylistic uniquities and adapts it for a YA audience, leaving him arguably with a catalogue as intellectually important and influential for future generations.… (more)
    Undone by Brooke Taylor (kissthestarsxx)
    To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde (yummyfishmeister)
    Everybody Sees the Ants by A.S. King (kaledrina)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (Cecilturtle)
    Paper Covers Rock by Jenny Hubbard (kaledrina)
    A Separate Peace by John Knowles (themephi)

English (445)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (450)
Liked this a lot better, this time round. So much so I'm upping my rating. I still don't really "get" Alaska and Miles, but I enjoy the other characters so much that it doesn't really matter.

December 21, 2012 review:

Eh. I float between three and four for this. The writing was beautiful, and Alaska's behaviour seemed totally spot on for someone suffering the trauma of a bereavement but she was also annoying as all get out. Miles was just okay. The Colonel was easily my favourite character. I... just don't have a lot to say about it, which made me give it the lower mark.

Still to hung up on The Scar. Which y'all have to read. I mean Y'ALL. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
Miles Halter, who is going away to Culver Creek Boarding School, has had a pretty uneventful life. He has no real friends, and the only “hobby” he has is memorizing the last words of prominent individuals. He flips to the end of biographies just to find the subject’s last words. Needless to say, Miles is pretty bored with his life. He decides to go to the boarding school his father went to in order to seek “the Great Perhaps”. Once there, he meets Alaska Young, who catapults his life from boring to exciting. Miles is completely taken by Alaska and falls in love with her, though his love is unrequited. She offers everything he had felt was lacking in his life before her. Alaska is full of drama, danger, excitement, and mystery. Miles takes on the nickname, “Pudge”, and makes his first real friends in the form of his roommate, Chip “The Colonel” Martin, Takumi Hikohito, and Alaska, of course. Miles’ life becomes anything but ordinary, and he loves it, until one event alters everything and Miles will never be the same.
I read Looking for Alaska for Banned Books Week. I’m so glad I did. It’s one of the best books I’ve ever read. It’s a real shame that there are people who want to keep this book away from their children. Yes, there’s smoking, drinking, swearing, and sexual situations; but that’s not likely anything new to anyone over the age of twelve. There is one sexual act and it is hardly explicit. Looking for Alaska is a learning experience. It’s a chance to discuss difficult topics with kids, and give guidance. If you’re the parent of a teen or pre-teen, you shouldn’t be banning this book, you should be begging your child to read it. I’ll get off my soapbox about that now.
I loved this book. I laughed a lot, I cried, I felt happy, I felt depressed. It was very emotional for me. Looking for Alaska drew me in and I wasn’t just reading about these kids, I was there with them. It was so hard for me to put the book down, and I was thinking about the characters even when I wasn’t reading. I finished Looking for Alaska two days ago and I found myself thinking of them again last night. I waited a few days to write this review, because I felt like my review could never do justice to the book, and it probably won’t. The writing was excellent and the character development was awesome. I loved all of them; Miles, Alaska, The Colonel, and Takumi. They were my friends for a few days and I was sad to see them go at the end of the book. I really liked The Fault in Our Stars also by Green, but I liked Looking for Alaska even more. Read this book! You can find my other reviews and features at bookwormbookreviews.com ( )
  Aeroette | Oct 15, 2014 |
I greatly enjoyed this book. I found the boarding school setting interesting. All of the famous last words mentioned in book are also fascinating. I thought Miles Halter was a likeable main character. I really enjoyed the character of Alaska and found her to be the most intriguing. I kind of liked the fact that the ending is pretty ambiguous. We never learn whether Alaska's car crash was suicide or an accident. We also never learn if Alaska actually returned any of Miles' feelings. I personally think she did not. If she had had any romantic feelings toward him I don't think she would not have tried to set Miles up with Lara. This is a book that left me thinking and will stay with me. I probably liked this book at much as the other John Green book I have read, The Fault in Our Stars. ( )
  alexbarger | Oct 14, 2014 |
I have read a few John Green books. Each one has been a joy to read. Looking for Alaska didn't disappoint.

Miles Halter decides to look for his Great Perhaps and goes from a pubic school to a boarding school. He meets his roommate Chip "Colonel" Martin. Colonel nicknames Miles, Pudge. Pudge meets Alaska and Takumi.

The adventures they take Pudge on are his start to finding his Great Perhaps. Alaska and Pudge seem like very similar people but different at the same time.

I really enjoyed this book. I found myself laughing and crying while reading this book. I believe I have found another favorite author. ( )
  crazy4reading | Oct 9, 2014 |
Miles Halter is a teenager from Florida who likes to read bibliographies and collect last words of famous people. He decided to go to Alabama to finish last two years of his high school education. Miles chooses Culver Creek Preparatory School. His parents are questioning if he decide to go to preparatory school to meet new people and change his boring life style.
Miles instantly became a friend with his roommate Colonel who gave him a nick name Pudge. The Colonel is clever, proud, and financially poor. He is a born leader. Miles got introduced to Alaska Young. She gave his life a new dimension. Alaska is a beautiful, funny, intelligent, and rebellious. Miles falls for Alaska. She became a center of Miles universe.
This book is made using a before and after counting element to build up a grand climax of events. It is an unusual, but effective way of presenting a story. It is a great read. Many teen topics are addressed here: smoking, alcohol consumption and consequences, meaning of life, friendship, belonging, religion, death and dying, grief, and healing.
The author of Looking for Alaska, John Green, made me think about life and our attitude about it. A topic of depression got brought in with Alaska’s behavior. She gave out many times signs that she is suicidal. Her attitude about dying and her struggle with her mother’s passing away was never addressed in a productive way. Her depression was not taken seriously. Consequences are tragic and unbearable.
added by sla3 | editschool review, sla3

Miles's narration is alive with sweet, self-deprecating humor, and his obvious struggle to tell the story truthfully adds to his believability.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Johanna Lewis

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCarthy, LindaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Hungarian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
To my family: Sydney Green, Mike Green, and Hank Green
"I have tried so hard to do right."
(last words of President Grover Cleveland)
The week before I left my family and Florida and the rest of my minor life to go to boarding school in Alabama, my mother insisted on throwing me a going-away party.
How will I ever get out of this labyrinth!
If only we could see the string of consequences that result from our smallest actions. But we can’t know better until knowing is useless.
When adults say, "Teenagers think they are invincible" with that sly, stupid smile on their faces, they don’t know how right they are. We need never be hopeless, because we are never irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible because we are. We cannot be born, and we cannot die. Like all energy, we can only change shapes and sizes and manifestations. They forget that when they are old. They get scared of losing and failing.
You spend your whole life stuck in the labyrinth, thinking about how you’ll escape it one day, and how awesome it will be, and imagining that future keeps you going, but you never do it. You just use the future to escape the present.
When you're walking at night, do you ever get creeped out and even though it's silly and embarrassing you just want to run home?

New York Times Bestseller

Winner of the Michael L. Printz Award

An ALA Best Book for Young Adults

An ALA Quick Pick

A Los Angeles Times 2005 Book Prize Finalist

A New York Public Library Book for the Teen Age

A 2005 Booklist Editor’s Choice

A 2005 School Library Journal Best Book of the Year

Before. Miles “Pudge” Halter is done with his safe life at home. His whole life has been one big non-event, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave “the Great Perhaps” even more (Francois Rabelais, poet). He heads off to the sometimes crazy and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young. She is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart. Then. . . . After. Nothing is ever the same.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:48 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Miles' first year at Culver Creek Preparatory School in Alabama includes good friends and great pranks, but is defined by the search for answers about life and death after a fatal car crash.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,390,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible