Looking for Alaska by John Green

Looking for Alaska (original 2005; edition 2006)

by John Green

9,057479331 ()385
Member:M.Campanella
Title:Looking for Alaska
Authors:John Green
Info:Speak (2006), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:**
Tags:American, Fiction, Young Adult

Looking for Alaska by John Green (2005)

Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (HatsForMice)
    On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta (thesundaybookreport)
    Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More average-boy-meets-life-changing-girl.
    An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (mad.)
    mad.: this his john green's first book and although it has a completely different plot and characters it has the same style as an Abundance of Katherines
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (kaledrina)
    Can't Get There from Here by Todd Strasser (Dainichi-Goddess)
    The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (Cecilturtle)
    Cracked up to Be by Courtney Summers (kissthestarsxx)
    Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen (wegc)
    wegc: Both are about a teen leaving home, trying to broaden their horizons, trying new things.
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (bluenotebookonline)
    White Noise by Don DeLillo (rickyrickyricky)
    rickyrickyricky: The place to start with one of the American literary monoliths of the 20th century. Green takes a lot of influence--good influence--from DeLillo's stylistic uniquities and adapts it for a YA audience, leaving him arguably with a catalogue as intellectually important and influential for future generations.… (more)
    Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King (kaledrina)
    Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde (curioussquared)
    Undone by Brooke Taylor (kissthestarsxx)
    Everybody Sees the Ants by A.S. King (kaledrina)
    To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Paper Covers Rock by Jenny Hubbard (kaledrina)
    A Separate Peace by John Knowles (themephi)

English (466)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (474)
When Miles arrives at Culver Creek Boarding School, he hopes for a change from his previous school. There he meets a group of friends, Takumi, The Colonel, Lara, and most importantly Alaska. Alaska is possibly the most beautiful and intriguing girl Miles has ever met and everyone is vying for her attention. However, after a tragic turn of events, everyone is left wondering how to put the pieces of their lives back together and move forward. A funny book filled with pranks and laughs that also deals with sadness and grief. I couldn't put it down! This book is recommended primarily for grade 10-12 teen girls. This book is a Prinze Medal winner. ( )
  AleashaKachel | Feb 21, 2015 |
I loved this book!! This book tore my heart up into pieces. He falls in love with a girl name Alaska, who ends up turning his world upside down. This book is filled with unexpected turns and lots of heartbreaks. I really like how it is written unlike other books that I've read. Its not your ordinary teen romance book, its the opposite, so intriguing and definitely a page turner. I must of read this book about 10 times already.
  Nix16 | Feb 14, 2015 |
Pudge, the Colonel and Alaska all face many challenges together all while making memories that none of them will ever forget. Looking For Alaska by John Green tells the story of this group of friends.
The story is told in Miles (Pudge) Halter’s point of view, he is the main character and the majority of the other characters that are important to the plot are the new friends he made when he came to his new school. The first person he befriends at his new school is his roommate Chip (Colonel) Martin who is one of the people he's closest to throughout the book. The Colonel introduces Pudge to his friend Alaska soon after they have both arrived at the school and Pudge is instantly attracted to her. Takumi and Lara are both students at Culver Creek who they befriend and spend quite a bit of time with but do not play major parts in the story.
The story starts with Pudge arriving at Culver Creek and meeting his roommate the Colonel who soon after introduces him to Alaska. The story progresses with them going to their regular classes and spending time together planning pranks and smoking and with Pudge and Alaska flirting meaninglessly and getting into the occasional trouble with the principal of the school that they call “The Eagle.” A little past the middle of the story tragedy strikes at Culver Creek after a night that Pudge and the Colonel will ever forget and it doesn't just affect them but everyone at the school. After the aftershock of everything settles down slightly the Colonel and Pudge plan a prank in honor of Alaska with a few other friends’ help.
I enjoyed this book because of the events leading up to what happens after when nothing is ever the same again. The story kept my interest throughout the book but there were a few moments that were not as interesting or action packed as others that were hard to keep my focus. I would recommend this book to a young adult reader that enjoys drama and action due to the adventures and dramatic experiences the characters face and some of the more mature moments they have. ( )
  LaWi19 | Feb 11, 2015 |
Starting at a new school is never easy. But neither is death. Miles Cavalry is starting at a new school far away from his hometown. Miles ends up making many friends, except one he falls in love with, her name is Alaska. But then it goes down hill, Alaska ends up dying from drunk driving as the police say but Miles and his friends don't thinks that's the only reason. The death of Alaska takes a hard toll on Miles and he will do anything he can to figure out why she had left. All this is in Looking For Alaska by John Green. This book's genre is realistic fiction because it is something that could happen but is made up.

There are many characters but there a 3 main characters. They are, Miles, Alaska, and The Colonel. The setting of Looking For Alaska is the campus of Culver Creek Preparatory School. The characters usually spend their time in their dorm rooms or in their "smoking hole". All three of the characters are juniors from different parts of the United States. Miles is tall and thin, he is known to remember famous people's last words. The Colonel is short and muscular, he remembers the capitals of all the states of the entire world. Alaska is thin and beautiful, she reads a lot.

In Looking For Alaska the main event is when Alaska passes away. Throughout the book it was counting down to Alaska's death then after her death they try to figure out how and why she died. When Alaska died they tried to figure out if it was suicide or not and where she was going. Miles and The Colonel spend the rest of their school year to search and find answers to their questions. They followed her foot steps and asked people who might have an idea of what happen. Throughout the end after she died it counts of the days since she's been dead. The characters all are greatly effected by the death of Alaska and took a while until they could fully start their search until the end of their school year figuring out the answers to all their questions.

I thought Looking For was a very good book. I enjoyed the story line and was always intrigued in the book. Looking For Alaska makes you excited, angry, and sad. I recommend this book for people who like sad books because you come to love and feel bad for Alaska, but when she dies your heart breaks. John Green is a very talented and amazing author. John gives you a way to get inside Miles head an everyone around him's head. John makes it easy to feel like you are there with the group of teens and then lets you think why Alaska died. Overall I very much enjoyed John Greens work once again, but, this time with Looking For Alaska. ( )
  JECLBR14 | Feb 10, 2015 |
"We are all going." (William McKinley's last words)

"How will I ever get out of this labyrinth of suffering?" (Alaska's question to Dr. Hyde's class, based on The General in His Labyrinth by Gabriel Garcia Marquez) ( )
  JennyArch | Feb 10, 2015 |
Miles Halter is a teenager from Florida who likes to read bibliographies and collect last words of famous people. He decided to go to Alabama to finish last two years of his high school education. Miles chooses Culver Creek Preparatory School. His parents are questioning if he decide to go to preparatory school to meet new people and change his boring life style.
Miles instantly became a friend with his roommate Colonel who gave him a nick name Pudge. The Colonel is clever, proud, and financially poor. He is a born leader. Miles got introduced to Alaska Young. She gave his life a new dimension. Alaska is a beautiful, funny, intelligent, and rebellious. Miles falls for Alaska. She became a center of Miles universe.
This book is made using a before and after counting element to build up a grand climax of events. It is an unusual, but effective way of presenting a story. It is a great read. Many teen topics are addressed here: smoking, alcohol consumption and consequences, meaning of life, friendship, belonging, religion, death and dying, grief, and healing.
The author of Looking for Alaska, John Green, made me think about life and our attitude about it. A topic of depression got brought in with Alaska’s behavior. She gave out many times signs that she is suicidal. Her attitude about dying and her struggle with her mother’s passing away was never addressed in a productive way. Her depression was not taken seriously. Consequences are tragic and unbearable.
added by sla3 | editschool review, sla3

Miles's narration is alive with sweet, self-deprecating humor, and his obvious struggle to tell the story truthfully adds to his believability.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Johanna Lewis

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCarthy, LindaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my family: Sydney Green, Mike Green, and Hank Green
"I have tried so hard to do right."
(last words of President Grover Cleveland)
The week before I left my family and Florida and the rest of my minor life to go to boarding school in Alabama, my mother insisted on throwing me a going-away party.
How will I ever get out of this labyrinth!
If only we could see the string of consequences that result from our smallest actions. But we can’t know better until knowing is useless.
When adults say, "Teenagers think they are invincible" with that sly, stupid smile on their faces, they don’t know how right they are. We need never be hopeless, because we are never irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible because we are. We cannot be born, and we cannot die. Like all energy, we can only change shapes and sizes and manifestations. They forget that when they are old. They get scared of losing and failing.
You spend your whole life stuck in the labyrinth, thinking about how you’ll escape it one day, and how awesome it will be, and imagining that future keeps you going, but you never do it. You just use the future to escape the present.
When you're walking at night, do you ever get creeped out and even though it's silly and embarrassing you just want to run home?

New York Times Bestseller

Winner of the Michael L. Printz Award

An ALA Best Book for Young Adults

An ALA Quick Pick

A Los Angeles Times 2005 Book Prize Finalist

A New York Public Library Book for the Teen Age

A 2005 Booklist Editor’s Choice

A 2005 School Library Journal Best Book of the Year

Before. Miles “Pudge” Halter is done with his safe life at home. His whole life has been one big non-event, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave “the Great Perhaps” even more (Francois Rabelais, poet). He heads off to the sometimes crazy and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young. She is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart. Then. . . . After. Nothing is ever the same.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:48 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Miles' first year at Culver Creek Preparatory School in Alabama includes good friends and great pranks, but is defined by the search for answers about life and death after a fatal car crash.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,687,758 books! | Top bar: Always visible