Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart: A Novel by Beth…

Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart: A Novel (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Beth Pattillo

19520101,965 (3.3)6
"Claire Prescott doesn't understand Mr. Darcy's appeal. She's been comfortably dating Neil, a nice--if a bit negligent--sports fanatic. But when she agrees to stand in for her sister at a Jane Austen seminar in Oxford, England, she finds herself holding a lost version of Pride and Prejudice. Scholars thought Austen's original manuscript was destroyed centuries ago, but as Clair reads the beloved author's first draft, she discovers that Austen didn't always have Darcy in mind for Lizzie Bennet. And when a tall, dark, and dashing stranger crosses Claire's path, will she suddenly discover her inner Lizzie Bennet? Neil's unexpected arrival in Oxford complicates Claire's journey to find her true romantic lead, and she discovers that finding the right hero can be more difficult than she ever imagined"--Cover, p. 4.… (more)
Member:AustenBlog
Title:Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart: A Novel
Authors:Beth Pattillo
Info:GuidepostsBooks (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 272 pages
Tags:Paraliterature, Modern, Pride and Prejudice

Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart by Beth Pattillo (2010)

Purely for a fun read

Claire takes her sister's place at a Jane Austen discussion in Oxford.
She leaves behind her needy sister and seemingly dull boyfriend Neil for the week.

Almost immediately after arriving she meets James. He is handsome but almost unfriendly at first.

She also meets Harriet who claims to have an original Jane Austen story called First Impressions. It was an early draft of Pride and Prejudice where Elizabeth has a different love interest.

Despite always claiming not to get the Darcy appeal, the combination of James and First Impressions are making Claire seriously reconsider her doubts about Darcy.

It's an enjoyable read. I didn't want anything heavy here, I wanted a nice light read and this fits the bill. Some plot points you'll see coming and others you may question. Why would Harriet tell Claire about First Impressions, she didn't even know her?
I honestly didn't care :) it was a fun read and it fit expectations in my opinion.
  Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
Can someone please write a good modern Jane Austen themed story for once? I'm tired of all these mediocre ones. ( )
  jlydia | Jun 25, 2018 |
This book had me captivated from the beginning. A bit of mystery and romantic allure. I loved the attraction Claire had for this brooding Darcy type. The subtle tensions kept me reading. I loved the underlying mystery of the old lady with the Jane Austen manuscript. Everything was fine until the end. The character had changed, saw her life in a different light, but for some reason, that didn't do it for me. I'm not sure what I wanted, but it was lacking in drama. Still a thought provoking read. It made me think. Intuitive types would love this. ( )
  LisaRector | Sep 28, 2017 |
A short, quick read. Surprisingly thoughtful, especially considering I was expecting an entertaining but somewhat silly romantic novel. Can and should we reinvent ourselves given the opportunity? ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
"A missing manuscript....a secret society sworn to protect Jane Austen's legacy.....and one woman who has the chance to expose the truth about a certain Fitzwilliam Darcy...."
  SABC | Dec 4, 2015 |
This is another fun read by Beth Pattillo. Pattillo’s first book was a romantic mystery. This one is a romance within a romance–one written by Pattillo and one supposedly written by a young Jane Austen. This amusing “original version” includes the same characters as P&P – but in a totally different plot!

Seldom, very seldom, does complete truth belong to any human disclosure; seldom can it happen that something is not a little disguised, or a little mistaken. -- Jane Austen
For my editor, Beth Adams, for her patience, support, and wisdom.
The taxi pulled up outside Christ Church and I climbed out of the backseat, but the scorching July heat stole my breath and threatened to press me back inside the cab.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,660,792 books! | Top bar: Always visible