Frindle by Andrew Clements

Frindle (original 1997; edition 1998)

by Andrew Clements, Brian Selznick (Illustrator)

Member:ColorBound
Title:Frindle
Authors:Andrew Clements
Other authors:Brian Selznick (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (1998), Paperback, 112 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Realistic Novel

Frindle by Andrew Clements (1997)

English (160)  Polish (1)  All languages (161)
Summary:
Frindle is a contemporary realism book about invention. Nick Allen is a 5th grader and does not like his teacher and her obsession of the dictionary. He is a troublemaker and his teacher punishes him. His punishment is to write a report on the dictionary. While doing this, he becomes more interested in the dictionary and where words come from. This inspires him to invent a new word, called “findle.” It is another word for a pen and he soon gets his classmates to say it and then everyone starts using it, even outside the school. Mrs. Granger and the school staff tried to stop the word from being used but it was eventually added to the dictionary.

Reaction:
This was the first time I had read the book. I enjoyed it and thought it was cute. The book brought me back to 5th grade and the memories of children in my class renaming things. The author uses very descriptive language and gave the children unique personalities. The story inspires young children to invent things and use their imagination. It also tells them to believe in themselves and to not let anyones negative thoughts influence their dreams. The book contains more text and less pictues, therefore written for older children.

Classroom extensions:
1. Let the children invent their own words and definitions of them, have the class vote on them and whoever wins gets a prize.
2. Have a lesson on determination and talk about great historical inventors and their inventions.
3. Visit a museum filled with inventions. ( )
  Robyn7 | Jul 19, 2016 |
Nick Allen was not, by his own admission, one of the bad kids, the good kids, or the smart kids. He was entirely himself, an individual with a keen sense of humor and an original mind. Disinclined toward doing lots of work, he tangled with his fifth-grade Language Arts teacher, Mrs. Granger, and found himself researching dictionaries, and the origins of words. Taking to heart the idea that meaning is created by all of a language's speakers, he creates a new word for pen - 'frindle' - that soon catches on at his school. But is he ready for the conflict with Mrs. Granger and other authority figures that this will ignite...?

First published in 1996, and a perennial favorite since then, Frindle is an immensely engaging story, one that is both humorous and heartwarming, and one that encourages young readers to think about the power of words, and of the speaker's role in using (or creating) them. I imagine that quite a few budding linguists got their start with Andrew Clements' book. Nick is an appealing character, a real boy with plenty of good qualities but some weaknesses as well. I thought the author's depiction of his withdrawal into himself, after achieving fame - his timidity, upon discovering his own power - was quite perceptive. I also thought the depiction of Mrs. Granger was spot on - I too have known people who seem quite daunting, but whose respect can be won through honest and principles opposition, rather than thoughtless capitulation. Recommended to children - early chapter-book range, I would say - looking for fun and thought-provoking school stories. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jul 2, 2016 |
Frindle is a great book for upper-elementary aged readers. I enjoyed reading this chapter book for two reasons. First, the main character is well-developed. In the beginning, the reader may assume that the main character Nick is a troublemaker. But later in the story they are able to see that he is really just a creative young student that pushes the limits. This character can be an inspiration to its readers. I also liked the language of this novel as it is clear and easy to read; the chapters are very short. ( )
  KatherineNelson | May 3, 2016 |
I really enjoyed reading the story, Frindle. The first reason I liked reading this story was because of the main character, Nick. He was a very believable character because he is a regular student who acts out in class sometimes, he is a typical class clown. Nick is very creative and I like how he came up with the idea of calling a pen "frindle." Another reason I liked this story was because of the point of view. I liked this because the reader is able to get information from Nick and also from the other characters as well, such as their reactions and feelings. The main idea of this story is how fast information can travel and to always try to reach your goals. Nick sent a goal and he accomplished it. ( )
  oliviaceresi | May 2, 2016 |
I love this story! This is one of my favorites and has been since I was a kid! I like the writing and the plot of the story. The writing is paced very well and engages the reader by making it relatable. The main character, Nicholas, is creative and is the class clown but none of his pranks harm anyone and are more appropriate than others. Many students can relate him to themselves or someone in their class. Nicholas learns about words and decides to create his own. This will encourage the reader to be creative and invent their own words. The message in this story is the power of words and how far information can travel. Especially now in today's world, word can travel fast through the use of internet. ( )
  amyadams19 | Apr 17, 2016 |
For Becky, Charles, George, Nate, and John - A.C.
If you asked the kids and the teachers at Lincoln Elementary School to make three lists- all the really bad kids, all the really smart kids, and all the really good kids- Nick Allen would not be on any of them. Nick deserved a list of his own, and everyone knew it.
So many things have gone out of date. But after all these years, words are still important. Words are still needed by everyone. Words are still used to think with, write with, to dream with, to hope and pray with. And that is why I love the dictionary. It endures. It works. And as you know, it also changes and grows.
"This is not an easy visit for me. We are having some trouble at school, and it appears Nick is in the middle of it."
Is Nick Allen a troublemaker?
He really just likes to liven things up at school -- and he's always had plenty of great ideas. When Nick learns some interesting information about how words are created, suddenly he's got the inspiration for his best plan ever...the frindle. Who says a pen has to be called a pen? Why not call it a frindle? Things begin innocently enough as Nick gets his friends to use the new word. Then other people in town start saying frindle. Soon the school is in an uproar, and Nick has become a local hero. His teacher wants Nick to put an end to all this nonsense, but the funny thing is frindle doesn't belong to Nick anymore. The new word is spreading across the country, and there's nothing Nick can do to stop it.

Is Nick Allen a troublemaker?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:16 -0400)

When he decides to turn his fifth grade teacher's love of the dictionary around on her, clever Nick Allen invents a new word and begins a chain of events that quickly moves beyond his control.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,620,666 books! | Top bar: Always visible