Frindle by Andrew Clements

Frindle (original 1997; edition 1998)

by Andrew Clements, Brian Selznick (Illustrator)

Member:ColorBound
Title:Frindle
Authors:Andrew Clements
Other authors:Brian Selznick (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (1998), Paperback, 112 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Realistic Novel

Frindle by Andrew Clements (1997)

Recently added bykncp, Lead_Academy

English (158)  Polish (1)  All languages (159)
Frindle is a great book for upper-elementary aged readers. I enjoyed reading this chapter book for two reasons. First, the main character is well-developed. In the beginning, the reader may assume that the main character Nick is a troublemaker. But later in the story they are able to see that he is really just a creative young student that pushes the limits. This character can be an inspiration to its readers. I also liked the language of this novel as it is clear and easy to read; the chapters are very short. ( )
  KatherineNelson | May 3, 2016 |
I really enjoyed reading the story, Frindle. The first reason I liked reading this story was because of the main character, Nick. He was a very believable character because he is a regular student who acts out in class sometimes, he is a typical class clown. Nick is very creative and I like how he came up with the idea of calling a pen "frindle." Another reason I liked this story was because of the point of view. I liked this because the reader is able to get information from Nick and also from the other characters as well, such as their reactions and feelings. The main idea of this story is how fast information can travel and to always try to reach your goals. Nick sent a goal and he accomplished it. ( )
  oliviaceresi | May 2, 2016 |
I love this story! This is one of my favorites and has been since I was a kid! I like the writing and the plot of the story. The writing is paced very well and engages the reader by making it relatable. The main character, Nicholas, is creative and is the class clown but none of his pranks harm anyone and are more appropriate than others. Many students can relate him to themselves or someone in their class. Nicholas learns about words and decides to create his own. This will encourage the reader to be creative and invent their own words. The message in this story is the power of words and how far information can travel. Especially now in today's world, word can travel fast through the use of internet. ( )
  amyadams19 | Apr 17, 2016 |
I liked this book for several reasons. First the writing style is very appropriate for the 3rd to 5th grade students. The author used vocabulary that was appropriate for this age group in a chapter book. The plot was engaging for students because it was set in a school in a realistic fiction context. The author did a good job of putting very realistic events together that student would find entertaining and somewhat funny. When Nick, wanted to introduce a the new word for pen the author choose the word ‘frindle’ which many students would find funny. The characters were fully developed. Readers could easily see how strict Mrs. Granger was, but how she was able to help Nick at the end. The big idea of the story was to not give up and have persistence. Nick was very persistence in making his word make it into the dictionary and in the end was successful. ( )
  rbiegel | Apr 17, 2016 |
This was a very fun book. I think young kids will find Nick's character very intriguing. Everyone always know of a class clown or of the kid that loves making his teacher's life more difficult than it should be. That's the type of kid Nick was. Except, there's much more to it. Nick much more creative than his peers and even his strict teacher. His cleverness is taken for granted until one day he decides to turn his fifth grade teacher's love of the dictionary around on her and he invents a new word and spurs a chain of events that goes out of his control. I liked the plot of this story. I liked the idea that a fifth grader coins a new word and actually makes it popular and has everyone using it. It was very funny and interesting to me. Also, Nick's character was believable. I could definitely see a "Nick" sitting in someones classroom. Not only that but I think it is a great gateway for giving children the courage and confidence to get creative and maybe even coin their own word. It was a great book in my opinion. ( )
  lnativ1 | Apr 4, 2016 |
For Becky, Charles, George, Nate, and John - A.C.
If you asked the kids and the teachers at Lincoln Elementary School to make three lists- all the really bad kids, all the really smart kids, and all the really good kids- Nick Allen would not be on any of them. Nick deserved a list of his own, and everyone knew it.
So many things have gone out of date. But after all these years, words are still important. Words are still needed by everyone. Words are still used to think with, write with, to dream with, to hope and pray with. And that is why I love the dictionary. It endures. It works. And as you know, it also changes and grows.
"This is not an easy visit for me. We are having some trouble at school, and it appears Nick is in the middle of it."
Is Nick Allen a troublemaker?
He really just likes to liven things up at school -- and he's always had plenty of great ideas. When Nick learns some interesting information about how words are created, suddenly he's got the inspiration for his best plan ever...the frindle. Who says a pen has to be called a pen? Why not call it a frindle? Things begin innocently enough as Nick gets his friends to use the new word. Then other people in town start saying frindle. Soon the school is in an uproar, and Nick has become a local hero. His teacher wants Nick to put an end to all this nonsense, but the funny thing is frindle doesn't belong to Nick anymore. The new word is spreading across the country, and there's nothing Nick can do to stop it.

Is Nick Allen a troublemaker?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:16 -0400)

When he decides to turn his fifth grade teacher's love of the dictionary around on her, clever Nick Allen invents a new word and begins a chain of events that quickly moves beyond his control.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,915,306 books! | Top bar: Always visible