Frindle by Andrew Clements

Frindle (original 1997; edition 1998)

by Andrew Clements, Brian Selznick (Illustrator)

3,604None1,457 (4)21
Member:ColorBound
Title:Frindle
Authors:Andrew Clements
Other authors:Brian Selznick (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (1998), Paperback, 112 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Realistic Novel

Frindle by Andrew Clements (1997)

Recently added byBerni63, Rgruberchelsea, akunzeman, private library, CCSpti
Andrew Clements (29) boys (24) chapter (18) chapter book (101) children (36) children's (59) children's fiction (29) children's literature (28) creativity (20) dictionary (67) fiction (207) funny (33) grade 5 (22) humor (79) juvenile (33) juvenile fiction (25) kids (20) language (40) novel (16) pen (38) R (30) read (20) realistic fiction (193) school (153) school stories (31) Sonlight (16) teachers (44) vocabulary (31) words (76) young adult (23)

English (126)  Polish (1)  All languages (127)
I thought it was a very clever story. Who decides what words mean? Nick decides to explore labeling, with interesting results. ( )
  wareagle78 | Mar 19, 2014 |
This is a fast paced and engaging read for children with its inked drawings and easy to read text. Nick learns to value the power of spoken words and how the process of how words get into the dictionary. If you would like to find out more about secret pacts among friends, wedging word wars with teachers, unfair detention, and about how one fifth grader can turn a whole class topsy-turvy (and maybe even make his school famous), then I suggest that you pick up Frindle by Andrew Clements to find out what happens to Nick and his pen... I mean frindle.
  Razberries4 | Mar 16, 2014 |
Author Andrew Clements
Title Frindle
Illustrator Brian Selznick
Publisher Aladdin Paperbacks
Date 1996
Pages 105
Book Format Lit Genre Realistic Fiction

Summary of main Plot: In fifth grade Nick is unhappy because his English teacher is the mean and disliked Mrs. Gounnger. One day in class Nick decides to question what each word means and comes from. After hearing his teachers explanation and writing an essay about it Nick creates a new word for a pen which is the word Frindle. Everyone in school especially the children decide they really like the word so they start using the word Frindle. The teacher doesn't like the word because she thinks it is disrespecting the word pen. Nicks principle decides to go to Nicks house to stop him from using the word Frindle for the pen.

Tags or subject headings: I think the them in this book is creative and Nick using his imagination. The tags would be creativity.

Response to the book: I liked this book. It made me feel like a little kid again reading this book and made me think of all the kids when I was that age that named things different names and would use their imagination. I read this book when I was in grade school. ( )
  Mihalevich | Mar 6, 2014 |
I enjoyed reading Frindle by Andrew Clements, and I liked this chapter book for several reasons. First, the characters are realistic and relatable. The main character, Nick Allen is initially portrayed as a “troublemaker.” Having experienced being a student in grade school, and also from the perspective of an educator, I have noticed that there tends to be at least one mischievous student in each class. Nick is described in a brief, but appropriate manner when Clements describes him as “…a tall, thin, shirtless boy with chestnut hair…” Additionally, after looking at the cover art, and the black and white illustrations present throughout the book, I was able to identify Nick. It was helpful to have such a vivid image of the main character while reading. The story is written in third person language. This allows the reader to gain a variety of perspectives because it is not just a story told by one person. The book tends to be fixated on the fifth grade point of view, specifically Nick’s perspective, but during reading, I developed perspectives of the teacher, Mrs. Granger, Nick’s parents, and the school principal. The reason I really enjoyed Frindle is because determining the message of this book was a challenge. I feel that there is a lot to be gained from reading this book, but the big idea is to allow imagination and creativity to flourish. ( )
  kbrash1 | Feb 26, 2014 |
This book tells the story of the birth of a word -- one boy's effort to popularize the term "frindle" as a replacement for "pen". Despite being a surprisingly fast read, the books touches on a lot of interesting areas-- Etymology and what makes a word "real." Self-censorship. The spread of memes before that word, coined in 1976, went viral in the oughts. The concept of "going viral" itself, for that matter. The Streisand Effect, intentionally invoked by a clever teacher who promotes the word by publicly opposing it. There's a lot to enjoy, and a lot to discuss, here -- a great classroom read. ( )
  PlasticAtoms | Feb 19, 2014 |
For Becky, Charles, George, Nate, and John - A.C.
If you asked the kids and the teachers at Lincoln Elementary School to make three lists- all the really bad kids, all the really smart kids, and all the really good kids- Nick Allen would not be on any of them. Nick deserved a list of his own, and everyone knew it.
So many things have gone out of date. But after all these years, words are still important. Words are still needed by everyone. Words are still used to think with, write with, to dream with, to hope and pray with. And that is why I love the dictionary. It endures. It works. And as you know, it also changes and grows.
"This is not an easy visit for me. We are having some trouble at school, and it appears Nick is in the middle of it."
Is Nick Allen a troublemaker?
He really just likes to liven things up at school -- and he's always had plenty of great ideas. When Nick learns some interesting information about how words are created, suddenly he's got the inspiration for his best plan ever...the frindle. Who says a pen has to be called a pen? Why not call it a frindle? Things begin innocently enough as Nick gets his friends to use the new word. Then other people in town start saying frindle. Soon the school is in an uproar, and Nick has become a local hero. His teacher wants Nick to put an end to all this nonsense, but the funny thing is frindle doesn't belong to Nick anymore. The new word is spreading across the country, and there's nothing Nick can do to stop it.

Is Nick Allen a troublemaker?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:44 -0400)

When he decides to turn his fifth grade teacher's love of the dictionary around on her, clever Nick Allen invents a new word and begins a chain of events that quickly moves beyond his control.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,412,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible