Naked by David Sedaris

Naked (original 1997; edition 1998)

by David Sedaris

Authors:David Sedaris
Info:Back Bay Books (1998), Paperback, 224 pages

Naked by David Sedaris (1997)

English (90)  Tagalog (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (92)
Re-read October 2013. Just as funny as the first time. I felt like his essays were more developed than some others, perhaps the later volumes. Many are long with more narrative than humor, which works really well.

First read November 2011. My first introduction to David Sedaris' full-length work was humorous without compromising the literary merit of his writing style. The collection of essays makes me eager to pick up more by Sedaris. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
First 1/3 of the book was hysterical. Once he was in college it became boring and smelly ( )
  nurse73 | Aug 14, 2015 |
The Morrisey of American literature. ( )
  rickstill122 | Aug 1, 2015 |
Reading David Sedaris' books is a great way to lighten my mood, especially after I read something dark and heavy. I laughed out loud so often while reading this, I kept having people ask why, and on the few occasions I'd try to explain something to them, it lost its humor. (Not for me, of course.) I intend to read all of Sedaris' work and continue to follow him. He makes me happy!!! ( )
  trayceetee | Nov 15, 2014 |
Many of us know David Sedaris from the radio, perhaps reading each Christmas season from his Santaland Diaries. We know he has a high pitched voice, is droll, and has had some strange jobs. But Sedaris, is first and foremost a writer, not just a radio personality. In fact, when he appears on stage he is not telling a monologue, like Eric Bogosian, but rather, reading word from word from his books. Naked is a series of biographical sketches. David the boy, teenager, and adult, is at the center of a constellation featuring his mom, dad, grandmother, and to a lesser extent siblings. Reading this book you realize that David's adventures in Santaland is typical of his uncanny ability to find and brilliantly describe the bizarre. His final titular essay, Naked, about his stint in a nudist colony is as funny as anything in the book. And it aptly describes a collection of essays that are brilliantly astute, observant, at times hilarious, but always brutally honest and self-aware. ( )
  OccassionalRead | Nov 6, 2014 |

David Sedarisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deggerich, GeorgTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rheda, ReginaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rowohlt, HarryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sedaris, AmyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Velsand, TorsteinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sister Lisa
I'm thinking of asking the servants to wax my change before placing it in the Chinese tank I keep on my dresser.
Every gathering has its moment. As an adult, I distract myself by trying to identify it, dreading the inevitable downswing that is sure to follow. The guests will repeat themselves one too many times, or you'll run out of dope or liquor and realize that it was all you ever had in common.
If nothing else, life in the suburbs promised that you might go from day to day _without_ finding shit in your hair.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316777730, Paperback)

Hip radio comedy fans and theater folks who belong to the cult of Obie-winning playwright/performer David Sedaris must kill to get this book. These would be fans of the scaldingly snide Sedaris's hilariously described personal misadventures like The Santaland Diaries (a monologue about his work as an elf to a department store Santa) seen off-Broadway in 1997. In a series of similarly textured essays, Sedaris takes us along on his catastrophic detours through a nudist colony, a fruit-packing plant, his own childhood, and a dozen more of the world's little purgatories.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:39 -0400)

The author recounts hitchhiking across the country with an odd cast of quadriplegics and deadbeats, working as a migrant worker in North Carolina, and other adventures.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,941,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible