Naked by David Sedaris

Naked (original 1997; edition 1998)

by David Sedaris

Member:RenzeeLee
Title:Naked
Authors:David Sedaris
Info:Back Bay Books (1998), Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:read

Naked by David Sedaris (1997)

English (84)  Tagalog (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (86)
NAKED by David Sedaris is a collection of personal stories or essays if you will. Like any collection it is uneven. Some of the stories are hysterically funny. How often does one laugh out loud from a book. Other stories are long and boring but the book is definitely worth a read. I will now try some of his other books. I did read the newest one with OWLS in the title. ( )
  SigmundFraud | Sep 16, 2014 |
In this book, Sedaris is best when he is brief. Too often the longer stories of this collection of memoir-like vignettes bored me. However, his gift for recognizing absurdity and character makes most of "Naked" a pleasure. ( )
  marthaearly | Jun 6, 2014 |
Enjoyed. Funny. Engaging. ( )
  MaryEvelynLS | Jun 1, 2014 |
Why is Goodreads' search engine so fucked? I type in Naked by David Sedaris and I get a goddamn study guide by Bookrags and a booklet commentary of Sedaris's works by Books LLC, but I do not get any book written by David Sedaris. GODDAMMIT. ( )
  laurentlollie | Mar 27, 2014 |
A review printed on the back cover of David Sedaris' collection "Naked" calls it 'Side-splitting'. I 'd sooner call it 'Heart-breaking'. The stories do have their humor, sometimes quite a bit of it, and overall the book probably is much funnier when read aloud by the author, but underneath it all one finds a strong current of heartache, loneliness and pain. "Naked" is Sedaris' biography from childhood to adulthood. His gift is that he can see the humor in some truly awful situations: his childhood tics, nervousness,fears, road trips, horrible jobs he takes on and the twisted people he encounters, coming to grips with his sexuality, the death of mother--one wonders, even as Sedaris' admits in one essay his utter lack of courage, how he survives with such a sense of humor. ( )
  Marse | Mar 19, 2014 |

David Sedarisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deggerich, GeorgTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rheda, ReginaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rowohlt, HarryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sedaris, AmyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Velsand, TorsteinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sister Lisa
I'm thinking of asking the servants to wax my change before placing it in the Chinese tank I keep on my dresser.
Every gathering has its moment. As an adult, I distract myself by trying to identify it, dreading the inevitable downswing that is sure to follow. The guests will repeat themselves one too many times, or you'll run out of dope or liquor and realize that it was all you ever had in common.
If nothing else, life in the suburbs promised that you might go from day to day _without_ finding shit in your hair.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316777730, Paperback)

Hip radio comedy fans and theater folks who belong to the cult of Obie-winning playwright/performer David Sedaris must kill to get this book. These would be fans of the scaldingly snide Sedaris's hilariously described personal misadventures like The Santaland Diaries (a monologue about his work as an elf to a department store Santa) seen off-Broadway in 1997. In a series of similarly textured essays, Sedaris takes us along on his catastrophic detours through a nudist colony, a fruit-packing plant, his own childhood, and a dozen more of the world's little purgatories.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:32 -0400)

The author recounts hitchhiking across the country with an odd cast of quadriplegics and deadbeats, working as a migrant worker in North Carolina, and other adventures.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,983,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible