Naked by David Sedaris

Naked (original 1997; edition 1998)

by David Sedaris

Member:RenzeeLee
Title:Naked
Authors:David Sedaris
Info:Back Bay Books (1998), Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:read

Naked by David Sedaris (1997)

English (87)  Tagalog (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (89)
Reading David Sedaris' books is a great way to lighten my mood, especially after I read something dark and heavy. I laughed out loud so often while reading this, I kept having people ask why, and on the few occasions I'd try to explain something to them, it lost its humor. (Not for me, of course.) I intend to read all of Sedaris' work and continue to follow him. He makes me happy!!! ( )
  trayceetee | Nov 15, 2014 |
Many of us know David Sedaris from the radio, perhaps reading each Christmas season from his Santaland Diaries. We know he has a high pitched voice, is droll, and has had some strange jobs. But Sedaris, is first and foremost a writer, not just a radio personality. In fact, when he appears on stage he is not telling a monologue, like Eric Bogosian, but rather, reading word from word from his books. Naked is a series of biographical sketches. David the boy, teenager, and adult, is at the center of a constellation featuring his mom, dad, grandmother, and to a lesser extent siblings. Reading this book you realize that David's adventures in Santaland is typical of his uncanny ability to find and brilliantly describe the bizarre. His final titular essay, Naked, about his stint in a nudist colony is as funny as anything in the book. And it aptly describes a collection of essays that are brilliantly astute, observant, at times hilarious, but always brutally honest and self-aware. ( )
  OccassionalRead | Nov 6, 2014 |
I didn't finish this book. If this angers you and require my full explanation..I declined to finish this book after reading more than half. Hate that if you like, but life is too short, and there are too many good books to read. I read MANY thoughts and reviews on this book, and the vast majority express that the first three or so section are the best, and that for them, it went downhill afterwards. Considering my opinion of those, and the subsequent chapters, I had zero reason to believe I'd be missing out on the modern equivalence of Mart Twain by continuing to read it. If you're the author, or a friend/supporter of them, I'm sorry, it's not personal, and ask you to please tolerate my choice, and if failing to do so, I can direct you to a lengthy perambulation off of what Joyce called a "disappointed bridge"

Sedaris follows a time-honored formula of presenting humorous slices of his life in a more or less chronological form, the only real innovation here being the melding of the classic scenes of autobiographical emotional poignancy with the humor vignette made popular by writers from Dave Barry to articles at the back of Field and Stream.

It's not a match made in heaven.

The combination of the two leaves both lacking. At his most effective, Mr. Sedaris writes strikingly about his experiences as a teenager struggling with homosexuality and the undercurrent of habitual prejudice against it in school, even transcending the racial tension of the time.

Less effective is his attempts to find humor within his own behavior, becoming tiresome and straining to find humor relatable to the reader.

However, humor is often considered to be the most difficult to write. It's serious business taking the serious unseriously. So while I didn't really enjoy the book, there were moments I enjoyed, such as the image of what his maternal family line's coat of arms would look like. But at the end of the day, I cannot recommend this book. I found it surprisingly dark, but not in an enriching way, and surprisingly formulaic. ( )
  wjmcomposer | Nov 5, 2014 |

It's not a match made in heaven.

wjmcomposer | Nov 5, 2014 |
NAKED by David Sedaris is a collection of personal stories or essays if you will. Like any collection it is uneven. Some of the stories are hysterically funny. How often does one laugh out loud from a book. Other stories are long and boring but the book is definitely worth a read. I will now try some of his other books. I did read the newest one with OWLS in the title. ( )
  SigmundFraud | Sep 16, 2014 |

David Sedarisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deggerich, GeorgTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rheda, ReginaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rowohlt, HarryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sedaris, AmyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Velsand, TorsteinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sister Lisa
I'm thinking of asking the servants to wax my change before placing it in the Chinese tank I keep on my dresser.
Every gathering has its moment. As an adult, I distract myself by trying to identify it, dreading the inevitable downswing that is sure to follow. The guests will repeat themselves one too many times, or you'll run out of dope or liquor and realize that it was all you ever had in common.
If nothing else, life in the suburbs promised that you might go from day to day _without_ finding shit in your hair.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316777730, Paperback)

Hip radio comedy fans and theater folks who belong to the cult of Obie-winning playwright/performer David Sedaris must kill to get this book. These would be fans of the scaldingly snide Sedaris's hilariously described personal misadventures like The Santaland Diaries (a monologue about his work as an elf to a department store Santa) seen off-Broadway in 1997. In a series of similarly textured essays, Sedaris takes us along on his catastrophic detours through a nudist colony, a fruit-packing plant, his own childhood, and a dozen more of the world's little purgatories.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:32 -0400)

The author recounts hitchhiking across the country with an odd cast of quadriplegics and deadbeats, working as a migrant worker in North Carolina, and other adventures.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,445,502 books! | Top bar: Always visible