Naked by David Sedaris

Naked (original 1997; edition 1998)

by David Sedaris

Member:bookwormteri
Title:Naked
Authors:David Sedaris
Info:Back Bay Books (1998), Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:***
Tags:nonfiction, memoir, essays, 2012

Naked by David Sedaris (1997)

English (93)  Tagalog (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (95)
David Sedaris may be 'a smart ass born and raised' but he's also insightful, self-depreciating, appalling, and downright funny. In the last of the 15 essays in this book, also titled 'Naked', David chronicles his week in a nudist - no, not a colony - in a nudist trailer park. Yes, he makes lots of (various body parts) jokes but at the same time he convincingly portrays the nudists' lifestyle as a relaxed alternative to the clothed world around them. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
he has a great way with a clever turn of phrase, and some parts had me laughing out loud. a somewhat disjointed plot but an interesting ride nonetheless ( )
  Darth-Heather | May 31, 2016 |
Nor is this collection "sidesplitting", neither is David Sedaris a writer "who can make Woody Allen appear ham-tongued", at least not in Naked. False claims do not do this collection any favours, because Naked is worth reading. I have heard Sedaris on This American Life, and he is truly a funny man and a great comedy writer. In Naked he digs into his own childhood, and turns his family and people he meets into comedy characters. Most of the time it works, but sometimes it comes across as a bit raw, cold and without a necessary dose of compassion. Still, I bet you'll laugh and enjoy most of the wild tales he spins. ( )
  petterw | May 23, 2016 |
Wonderful and hilarious bits of David Sedaris! ( )
  BooksForYears | Apr 1, 2016 |
One of my favorites. This novel is funny and raw. Davis Sedaris is an excellent writer who has a gift for story telling. ( )
  lacey.tucker | Mar 10, 2016 |

Sedaris, AmyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Velsand, TorsteinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeray, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sister Lisa
I'm thinking of asking the servants to wax my change before placing it in the Chinese tank I keep on my dresser.
Every gathering has its moment. As an adult, I distract myself by trying to identify it, dreading the inevitable downswing that is sure to follow. The guests will repeat themselves one too many times, or you'll run out of dope or liquor and realize that it was all you ever had in common.
If nothing else, life in the suburbs promised that you might go from day to day _without_ finding shit in your hair.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316777730, Paperback)

Hip radio comedy fans and theater folks who belong to the cult of Obie-winning playwright/performer David Sedaris must kill to get this book. These would be fans of the scaldingly snide Sedaris's hilariously described personal misadventures like The Santaland Diaries (a monologue about his work as an elf to a department store Santa) seen off-Broadway in 1997. In a series of similarly textured essays, Sedaris takes us along on his catastrophic detours through a nudist colony, a fruit-packing plant, his own childhood, and a dozen more of the world's little purgatories.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:39 -0400)

The author recounts hitchhiking across the country with an odd cast of quadriplegics and deadbeats, working as a migrant worker in North Carolina, and other adventures.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,457,814 books! | Top bar: Always visible