Naked by David Sedaris

Naked (original 1997; edition 1998)

by David Sedaris

Member:bookwormteri
Title:Naked
Authors:David Sedaris
Info:Back Bay Books (1998), Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:***
Tags:nonfiction, memoir, essays, 2012

Naked by David Sedaris (1997)

English (83)  Tagalog (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (85)
In this book, Sedaris is best when he is brief. Too often the longer stories of this collection of memoir-like vignettes bored me. However, his gift for recognizing absurdity and character makes most of "Naked" a pleasure. ( )
  marthaearly | Jun 6, 2014 |
Enjoyed. Funny. Engaging. ( )
  MaryEvelynLS | Jun 1, 2014 |
Why is Goodreads' search engine so fucked? I type in Naked by David Sedaris and I get a goddamn study guide by Bookrags and a booklet commentary of Sedaris's works by Books LLC, but I do not get any book written by David Sedaris. GODDAMMIT. ( )
  laurentlollie | Mar 27, 2014 |
A review printed on the back cover of David Sedaris' collection "Naked" calls it 'Side-splitting'. I 'd sooner call it 'Heart-breaking'. The stories do have their humor, sometimes quite a bit of it, and overall the book probably is much funnier when read aloud by the author, but underneath it all one finds a strong current of heartache, loneliness and pain. "Naked" is Sedaris' biography from childhood to adulthood. His gift is that he can see the humor in some truly awful situations: his childhood tics, nervousness,fears, road trips, horrible jobs he takes on and the twisted people he encounters, coming to grips with his sexuality, the death of mother--one wonders, even as Sedaris' admits in one essay his utter lack of courage, how he survives with such a sense of humor. ( )
  Marse | Mar 19, 2014 |
This is the first David Sedaris book that I have read. I had heard he is witty and funny, and Naked proved to be a laugh-out-loud kind of read. There is a loose chronology to the essays which start from his childhood, moving to North Carolina, his grandma, and family life, his problems in school, and eventually his crazy adventures of hitchhiking across the country in his college years. The musing about immigrants, gays, siblings, fathers, friends, disabled people, blacks and whites, and, of course, nudists, are all presented from the Sedaris lens, where his personality and his antics are what makes everything seem rather funny. I very rarely laugh out loud when I am reading, but this was one of the few books that was able to do that. Perhaps the highlight of the whole book, for me, was his mother. Certainly a very colorful character, his mother seems to have to shaped the family and created the humor that seems to run in their blood out of thin air, no matter what the situation.
Will I read another Sedaris book of essays? I sure will. Will I ever go to a nudist trailer camp? Certainly not! ( )
  bluepigeon | Dec 15, 2013 |

David Sedarisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deggerich, GeorgTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rheda, ReginaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rowohlt, HarryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sedaris, AmyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Velsand, TorsteinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sister Lisa
I'm thinking of asking the servants to wax my change before placing it in the Chinese tank I keep on my dresser.
Every gathering has its moment. As an adult, I distract myself by trying to identify it, dreading the inevitable downswing that is sure to follow. The guests will repeat themselves one too many times, or you'll run out of dope or liquor and realize that it was all you ever had in common.
If nothing else, life in the suburbs promised that you might go from day to day _without_ finding shit in your hair.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316777730, Paperback)

Hip radio comedy fans and theater folks who belong to the cult of Obie-winning playwright/performer David Sedaris must kill to get this book. These would be fans of the scaldingly snide Sedaris's hilariously described personal misadventures like The Santaland Diaries (a monologue about his work as an elf to a department store Santa) seen off-Broadway in 1997. In a series of similarly textured essays, Sedaris takes us along on his catastrophic detours through a nudist colony, a fruit-packing plant, his own childhood, and a dozen more of the world's little purgatories.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:32 -0400)

The author recounts hitchhiking across the country with an odd cast of quadriplegics and deadbeats, working as a migrant worker in North Carolina, and other adventures.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,347,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible