It'S Back To School We Go! by Ellen…

It'S Back To School We Go!

by Ellen Jackson

(2nd) Lesson: How Are People Around the World Alike and Different?
Civics, Geography, and History Connections
  ccsdss | Feb 24, 2016 |
I had an overall liking to this book. It was fun to read about other countries around the would and how they feel about the first day of school.In this interesting and carefully crafted book the author looks at first days of school in Canada, the United States, Peru, Germany, Kazakhstan, Kenya, India, China, Russia, Japan, and Australia. For each child she tells a short story. She then goes on to describe some of the customs, foods, and school facts that exist in the countries in which the children live. Readers will discover that though there are big differences between the lives of the children, there are also similarities. Many of them feel nervous or excited. Many of them do something special for the first day of school. Children will be warmed to find so many lines of connection between themselves and children who live so far away. This book can be used as the bigger picture to show kids that they are not alone in feeling nervous about the first day of school.
  jbahri1 | Dec 11, 2015 |
Worldwide
  sydneykroll | Dec 1, 2015 |
I like to use this book to get to know my students. The book features about 13 places around the world and the traditions children follow for the school day. I have the kids look at the narrative for mat and the expository format of the writing. I have them write their own page about what traditions and customs they follow during a typical day--at school and at home. ( )
  kellycaboose | Jul 24, 2015 |
This was another one of my favorites that I read. I loved this book for a few different reasons, and one being that each section included a mini story of the first day of school for children from different parts of the world. The sections also included interesting facts about the region in which the child was from. Another feature that enhanced this books quality was the map in the front that showed the regions where each child in book was from.
I believe the main message of this book was that although we are all from different places we still experience some of the same things and feelings. ( )
  CassandraQuigley | Feb 24, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0761319484, Hardcover)

In easy-to-read text, describes what the first day of school might be like for a child in Kenya, Kazakhstan, Canada, Australia, Japan, China, Peru, Germany, India, Russia, and the United States.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:26 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,562 books! | Top bar: Always visible