Towers of Midnight by Robert Jordan

Towers of Midnight

by Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson

Series: Wheel of Time (13)

Loved it! Any complaints i had about Mat's characterization in the last book have been fixed. Can't wait for the next book. ( )
  GSB68 | May 19, 2015 |
I would like to say up-front that this book needs another edition with some serious re-editing. Previous volumes in the WoT series were fine, but from roughly page 200 on, ToM has frequent typos and misprints. These include glaring deficiencies such as tense agreement, verb/noun agreement, extraneous words "Person x would couldn't do the deed." While not affecting readability, errors happen frequently enough to be a distraction and detract from the experience.

This volume focuses on Matt and Perrin, while Rand takes a back seat. Despite other reviewers complaining about a plodding tale, MANY situations are resolved while many characters and plots have been brought together, converging toward a Last Battle. The story ends with enough openings to leave one awaiting the final volume.

However, those reviewers complaining about a plodding tale have a point in that this book contains entirely too much soul searching and whining, rather than doing. A good 200+ pages could easily have been chopped while still resolving all the story arcs.

Overall, I enjoyed the book and the tying off of loose ends gives a follower of the series satisfaction. ( )
  Hae-Yu | Apr 26, 2015 |
The glacial pace of the move to End of the World continues. Different story lines start to come together. (I read 1-9, took a break, then finished with 12-14 just because Brandon was writing them; however, even his talent can't overcome the stupefying boredom of Jordan's story-telling style.) ( )
  librisissimo | Feb 1, 2015 |
This book brings more closer to conflicts that have been waiting to be resolved. I can feel the end coming! It's almost bitter sweet. I don't want to put the book down, but I know an actual end is going to happen. My only complaint about this book is that the timeline is confusing in the first half of the book. Otherwise it is one of the best book of the series. ( )
  renbedell | Oct 9, 2014 |
Tarmon Gai'don draws ever nearer, and Rand and his friends slowly gather their strength, preparing to face the Dark One and his armies. Perrin is still trying to fight the wolf within himself, but as he battles a deadly foe in "Tel'aran'rhiod," he begins to wonder if he should be fighting that wolf. Egwene ascends to the true Amrylin Seat following Elaida's capture in the Seanchan's attack, and Mat and Thom head into danger in their bid to rescue Moiraine.

Highly recommended!! ( )
  kayceel | Sep 30, 2014 |

Robert Jordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, Brandonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It soon became obvious with the stedding, that the Pattern was growing frail. The sky darkened. Our dead appeared, standing in rings outside the border of the stedding, looking in. Most troublingly, trees fell ill, and no song would heal them.

It was in this time of sorrows that I stepped up to the Great Stump. At first, I was forbidden, but my mother, Covril, demanded I have my chance. I do not know what sparked her change of heart, as she herself had argued quite decisively for the opposing side. My hands shook. I would be the last speaker, and most seemed to have already made up their minds to open the Book of Translation. They considered me and afterthought.

And I knew that unless I spoke true, humanity would be left alone to face the Shadow. In that moment, my nervousness fled. I felt only a stillness, a calm sense of purpose. I opened my mouth, and I began to speak.

—from The Dragon Reborn, by Loial,
son of Arent son of Halan, of Stedding Shangtai
Lo, it shall Come upon the wold that the prison of the the Greatest One shall grow weak, like the limbs of those who crafted it. Once again  His glorious cloak shall smother the Pattern of all things,and the Great Lord shall stretch forth his hand to claim what is His

In that day, when the One-Eyed Fool travels the halls of mourning, and the First Among Vermin lift his hand to bring freedom to Him who will Destroy, the last days of the Fallen Blacksmith's pride shall come. Yea, and the Broken Wolf, the one whom Death has known, shall fall and be consumed by the Midnight Towers. And his destruction shall bring fear and sorrow to the hearts of men, and shall shake there very will itself.

And then, shall the Lord of the Evening come. And He shall take our eyes, for our souls shall bow before Him, and He shall take our skin, for our flesh shall serve him, And He shall take our lips, for only him we praise. And the Lord of the Evening shall face the Broken Champion, And shall spill his blood and bring us the Darkness so beautiful. Let the screams begin, O followers of the Shadow. Beg for your destruction!

—from The Prophecies of the Shadow
For Jason Denzel, Melissa Craib, Bob Kluttz, Jennifer Liang, Linda Taglieri, Matt Hatch, Leigh Butler, Mike Mackert, and all those readers who over the years have made The Wheel of Time part of their lives, and in doing so have made the lives of others better.
Mandarb's hooves beat a familiar rhythm on broken ground as Lan Mandragoran rode to his death.

The Last Battle has started. The seals on the Dark One’s prison are crumbling. The Pattern itself is unraveling, and the armies of the Shadow have begun to boil out of the Blight.The sun has begun to set upon the Third Age. Perrin Aybara is now hunted by specters from his past: Whitecloaks, a slayer of wolves, and the responsibilities of leadership. All the while, an unseen foe is slowly pulling a noose tight around his neck. To prevail, he must seek answers in Tel’aran’rhiod and find a way--at long last--to master the wolf within him or lose himself to it forever. Meanwhile, Matrim Cauthon prepares for the most difficult challenge of his life. The creatures beyond the stone gateways--the Aelfinn and the Eelfinn--have confused him, taunted him, and left him hanged, his memory stuffed with bits and pieces of other men’s lives. He had hoped that his last confrontation with them would be the end of it, but the Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills. The time is coming when he will again have to dance with the Snakes and the Foxes, playing a game that cannot be won. The Tower of Ghenjei awaits, and its secrets will reveal the fate of a friend long lost. This penultimate novel of Robert Jordan’s #1 New York Times bestselling series--the second of three based on materials he left behind when he died in 2007--brings dramatic and compelling developments to many threads in the Pattern. The end draws near.Dovie’andi se tovya sagain. It’s time to toss the dice.

As the seals on the Dark One's prison crumble and the armies of the Shadow boil out of the Blight, Perrin Aybara, hunted by specters from his past, must seek answers in "Tel'aran'rhiod" and find a way to master the wolf within him--or lose himself to it forever. Meanwhile, Matrim Cauthon prepares for the most difficult challenge of his life ... as The Tower of Ghenjei awaits.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,669,294 books! | Top bar: Always visible