Towers of Midnight (The Wheel of Time, 13)…

Towers of Midnight (The Wheel of Time, 13) (edition 2010)

by Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson

Member:Kassilem
Title:Towers of Midnight (The Wheel of Time, 13)
Authors:Robert Jordan
Other authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tor Books (2010), Hardcover, 861 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:Epic Fantasy

Towers of Midnight by Robert Jordan

So exciting! Makes the rest of the series worth it, honestly. It's like Brandon Sanderson went and did all the things that readers wished Robert Jordan would've done the whole time. So satisfying.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
Started reading it on 01/01/11. It's 842 pages long! It may take a bit. I'm about half way through the book. I really enjoyed reading Nynaeve's 100 weave feat and getting to take Lan as her Warder. Finished reading 2/10/11, it would have been faster if other books hadn't come in from the library. Once I got through the first half the second half just pulled you along. Definitely can see that the next book has to be the last. We're ready for The Last Battle. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Finally, finally, finally. I love that loose ends are finally being tied up. It's kind of like watching Anne of Avonlea—you only suffer through the Pringles' snobbiness so that you can more fully enjoy the final moments with Anne and Gilbert. The middle of this series really isn't that great, but the end is that reward we were all hoping to get when we suffered through new character introductions and a seemingly endless plot. This book was pretty awesome.

First of all, I really enjoyed all of the reunion scenes. It was so fun to see Mat and Perrin together again. They've both made quite a name for themselves, but their friendships run deeper than those changes. It's about time that Morgase was reunited with her children, too. And of course, it was wonderful to get Rand back. His being a rock almost messed everything up. I think the most emotional part of the entire series for me was when Rand cried in his father's arms. It was then that I started to hope that the Last Battle could possibly be won, and I finally had hope for Rand's destiny—maybe he'll actually live through it.

And, finally, Rand and Perrin finally accept who they were born to be. Mat still has a way to go, but Perrin has blossomed into a powerful leader and Rand an almost compassionate one. The royal Trakands come a long way, as does Egwene. Everyone is coming together to prepare for the most epic battle of all time, and it's just refreshing to see how far these humble sheepherders have come.

I must admit, I really thought that Moiraine's rescue would take up more than a mere 50 pages or so. We've been waiting for a VERY long time to get her back, and the actual rescue was only a few chapters long. It was good to have her back, though. I like her almost as much as I like the Two Rivers folk. However, I was completely floored by the "engagement" between her and Thom. I was just as clueless as Mat on this one, for once. And the whole thing with Mat's eye being ripped out was pretty gruesome. I wonder what body part Perrin is going to lose . . . I guess his acceptance of his wolf nature was his sacrifice.

To this point, I haven't really had to worry about my favorite characters being killed off, because the whole Tav'eren thing protects everyone—the good guys, anyway. And I never believed that Moiraine was gone because Min keeps mentioning that the only viewing that failed was the one about Moiraine. So, obviously, she was going to come back some day. But now the Last Battle is upon us—and I don't think Rand, Perrin, Mat, and Egwene are guaranteed to survive that, no matter how lucky they are. The next book is going to be epic; and I'm pretty sure that it is going to cause some rare Wheel of Time tears. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 2, 2016 |
Towers of Midnight almost makes me wish that Brandon Sanderson had joined the team a little sooner. I say almost because to wish that would be to have wished that Robert Jordan had died sooner and no one would wish that. Since Sanderson has taken over the writing of the books however, the Wheel of Time series has taken on a different quality; there is a sense of urgency and action that was missing in the series for a long time. Part of that certainly is due to the fact that everything is coming to a head, but based upon the writing of the previous four or five books part of it is also due to who is control as well.

It would hard to give a synopsis of this book without major spoilers so if you're not caught up, I would advise you not to read further. Fresh from his sojurn on Dragonmount, Rand returns a new person - calm, in control, and a sense of purpose. With Andor firmly hers, Elayne makes a move on the Sun Throne of Carhein. Egwene's power in the White Tower solidifies with each day and she might finally have something she's wanted even longer. Perrin is taking the time to learn how to work with the wolf inside him, as well as how to be a leader. And the time has finally come for Mat, Thom and Noal to enter the Tower of Ghenjie and faceoff against the Aelfinn and Eelfinn. Next stop, Tarmon Gai'don as Rand crafts a bold and in the eyes of Egwene and the monarchs of the world, foolhardy plan that just might set the Dark One free from his prison. Mix in a Malkieri stand at Tarwin's Gap and the Seanchan army in possession of Travelling and you have a book like no other in the series.

I am eagerly anticipating the conclusion of the series while at the same time dreading it. The Wheel of Time has been a part of my life for a long time, and through it I have made some connections with real people that I never could have without it. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
Read this in a marathon read-aloud session. Definitely the way to go with this kind of cult stuff. ( )
  willszal | Jan 3, 2016 |

Robert Jordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, Brandonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It soon became obvious with the stedding, that the Pattern was growing frail. The sky darkened. Our dead appeared, standing in rings outside the border of the stedding, looking in. Most troublingly, trees fell ill, and no song would heal them.

It was in this time of sorrows that I stepped up to the Great Stump. At first, I was forbidden, but my mother, Covril, demanded I have my chance. I do not know what sparked her change of heart, as she herself had argued quite decisively for the opposing side. My hands shook. I would be the last speaker, and most seemed to have already made up their minds to open the Book of Translation. They considered me and afterthought.

And I knew that unless I spoke true, humanity would be left alone to face the Shadow. In that moment, my nervousness fled. I felt only a stillness, a calm sense of purpose. I opened my mouth, and I began to speak.

—from The Dragon Reborn, by Loial,
son of Arent son of Halan, of Stedding Shangtai
Lo, it shall Come upon the wold that the prison of the the Greatest One shall grow weak, like the limbs of those who crafted it. Once again  His glorious cloak shall smother the Pattern of all things,and the Great Lord shall stretch forth his hand to claim what is His

In that day, when the One-Eyed Fool travels the halls of mourning, and the First Among Vermin lift his hand to bring freedom to Him who will Destroy, the last days of the Fallen Blacksmith's pride shall come. Yea, and the Broken Wolf, the one whom Death has known, shall fall and be consumed by the Midnight Towers. And his destruction shall bring fear and sorrow to the hearts of men, and shall shake there very will itself.

And then, shall the Lord of the Evening come. And He shall take our eyes, for our souls shall bow before Him, and He shall take our skin, for our flesh shall serve him, And He shall take our lips, for only him we praise. And the Lord of the Evening shall face the Broken Champion, And shall spill his blood and bring us the Darkness so beautiful. Let the screams begin, O followers of the Shadow. Beg for your destruction!

—from The Prophecies of the Shadow
For Jason Denzel, Melissa Craib, Bob Kluttz, Jennifer Liang, Linda Taglieri, Matt Hatch, Leigh Butler, Mike Mackert, and all those readers who over the years have made The Wheel of Time part of their lives, and in doing so have made the lives of others better.
Mandarb's hooves beat a familiar rhythm on broken ground as Lan Mandragoran rode to his death.

The Last Battle has started. The seals on the Dark One’s prison are crumbling. The Pattern itself is unraveling, and the armies of the Shadow have begun to boil out of the Blight.The sun has begun to set upon the Third Age. Perrin Aybara is now hunted by specters from his past: Whitecloaks, a slayer of wolves, and the responsibilities of leadership. All the while, an unseen foe is slowly pulling a noose tight around his neck. To prevail, he must seek answers in Tel’aran’rhiod and find a way--at long last--to master the wolf within him or lose himself to it forever. Meanwhile, Matrim Cauthon prepares for the most difficult challenge of his life. The creatures beyond the stone gateways--the Aelfinn and the Eelfinn--have confused him, taunted him, and left him hanged, his memory stuffed with bits and pieces of other men’s lives. He had hoped that his last confrontation with them would be the end of it, but the Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills. The time is coming when he will again have to dance with the Snakes and the Foxes, playing a game that cannot be won. The Tower of Ghenjei awaits, and its secrets will reveal the fate of a friend long lost. This penultimate novel of Robert Jordan’s #1 New York Times bestselling series--the second of three based on materials he left behind when he died in 2007--brings dramatic and compelling developments to many threads in the Pattern. The end draws near.Dovie’andi se tovya sagain. It’s time to toss the dice.

As the seals on the Dark One's prison crumble and the armies of the Shadow boil out of the Blight, Perrin Aybara, hunted by specters from his past, must seek answers in "Tel'aran'rhiod" and find a way to master the wolf within him--or lose himself to it forever. Meanwhile, Matrim Cauthon prepares for the most difficult challenge of his life ... as The Tower of Ghenjei awaits.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,113,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible