Towers of Midnight (The Wheel of Time, 13)…

Towers of Midnight (The Wheel of Time, 13) (edition 2010)

by Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson

Member:Kassilem
Title:Towers of Midnight (The Wheel of Time, 13)
Authors:Robert Jordan
Other authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tor Books (2010), Hardcover, 861 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:Epic Fantasy

Towers of Midnight by Robert Jordan

2010 (10) 2012 (5) 2013 (6) adventure (10) audiobook (5) ebook (16) epic (19) epic fantasy (30) fantasy (319) fiction (107) First Edition (8) hardcover (20) high fantasy (11) Jordan (8) magic (15) novel (9) own (7) rand al'thor (5) read (22) read in 2010 (14) read in 2011 (6) read in 2013 (6) Robert Jordan (9) science fiction (11) series (29) sff (14) signed (8) to-read (40) unread (8) Wheel of Time (162)

Lots of action and battles galore--LOTS of battles! You can feel the end coming as the Last Battle nears, and the threads of the story are being drawn together inexorably. I think the new guy is doing great! On to the final book! ( )
  darcy36 | Jul 8, 2014 |
It seems strange to write this, but about 15 years ago I started keeping what I called a "book journal". It was much like this website. It had the name of the book, the dates I read it, how many pages were in it, what the genre was, and then a few short paragraphs about the book. I started it not because I wanted to write book reviews - but rather because I had just finished the 6th (iirc) book in the Wheel of Time series. As each book seemed to be 1 to 2 years between publishing, I felt that I needed to write down where the plot ended so that when the next book came out, I'd know where the previous story had left off. 15 years later, and about 750 books later, I'm still writing little blurbs about the continuing plot of Rand al'Thor and his merry band of friends. Upon Robert Jordan's death in 2007, there was quite a break while Brandon Sanderson picked up the pieces. However, he has done good work. While I can't quite tell how Jordan might have finished it up, Sanderson does a good job of keeping me from remembering that it isn't Jordan's writing. In the plot, without giving away too many details, the armies of the Dragon and his allies have all come together while Rand has stated that he will break the final seals on the Dark Lord's prison and bring about the final battle. Lots of stuff happening in the background. I'm hoping that the last book will be published soon (this 13th volume has published in 2010) and then we can finally be done with it. ( )
  stuart10er | Nov 5, 2013 |
i hope martin doesnt die before finishing like this guy did.
  Open.Graph.Test.User | Jul 1, 2013 |
I finished this a couple days ago, but had to take a breather from it before I came and wrote my review. This was for two reasons: (1) If I had written it right away, I would have never been able to do it without spoilers (and I hate putting spoilers in reviews); and (2) If I had written it right away, it would probably have been at least half as long as the book itself.

But let's keep this short. I mean what really can I say? This is a review to the 13th book in the series. If you've read 1 - 12, chances are you're not going to give up now, especially considering this is the second to last book. But even still. This isn't just another entry in the story, bringing it one step closer to the end.... It's a damn good entry in the story.

From the time I picked it up, I couldn't put it down. Part of that is because the world and characters are so familiar and real to me. They've been a part of my life for so long, picking up the book was like hanging out with an old friend. But the other factor that kept it glued to my hand, the main factor.. It was just that good.

And that's about all I can say without spoilers. This doesn't just get five stars from me... It gets 10,000 stars. Loved it! ( )
  breakofdawn | Jun 11, 2013 |
Do you know about Naruto filler episodes??? They were so horrible that they manage to make me hate a show I actually liked a lot! They grab awesome characters that I loved and put em in retarded situations that had nothing to do with the actual original plot of the show! That got me mad! Mad to the point that I decided to stop watching it… you know maybe that won’t reach anybody here! I mean! I think I have like 1 friend on my friend list who knows what a filler episode is! Maybe I should explain in terms that most of my friends here will understand! Let’s see… think about that cool GR friend you have that used to write awesome fun reviews! But after a while started to write stuff just to get the votes… yes this is a better way to express what I think I’m trying to say here! Like you can see some of the awesomeness that person used to have but it’s so diluted in to crap that is written just to get a vote that it’s sort of pathetic? But the stuff you used to love is there! You can almost touch it!!! and you start hating it! cuz wtf!? Well if you can relate to that one! That’s how I feel about this book! Some of the stuff that made me fall in love with Jordan’s world are ALMOST there! Like Matt being actually funny, and some good fast paced battle scenes… but then fillers! And more fillers! And more fillers! If this book was 300 pages long I’d love it! but it’s not…. So I can’t love it!!!

Still! There are a lot of good things that can be said! Cuz I seriously love how Matt is funny again! Wait I think I mention that before! But also the closing is good!!! A lot of useless characters are dying or getting closure to their stories that is both corny and yet satisfying! And they go back where they belong! There is also the fact of Rand’s Transformation! Unlike let’s say Superman who is all goody goody for no damn reason and tends to be annoying…. I think you can actually understand why rand is doing “good” now and I must admit I find myself pleased with his actions… still! It’s one step closer to the end… and it looks like it’s finally going to end! FOR REAL! It’s been almost 10 years for me (I know it’s 20 for other fans) and I think we deserve this! But I truly hope the next one don’t have fillers!!! I HATE EM!!!! I HATE EM WITH ALL MY HEART!!! ( )
  Alfonso809 | Apr 3, 2013 |

Robert Jordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, Brandonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It soon became obvious with the stedding, that the Pattern was growing frail. The sky darkened. Our dead appeared, standing in rings outside the border of the stedding, looking in. Most troublingly, trees fell ill, and no song would heal them.

It was in this time of sorrows that I stepped up to the Great Stump. At first, I was forbidden, but my mother, Covril, demanded I have my chance. I do not know what sparked her change of heart, as she herself had argued quite decisively for the opposing side. My hands shook. I would be the last speaker, and most seemed to have already made up their minds to open the Book of Translation. They considered me and afterthought.

And I knew that unless I spoke true, humanity would be left alone to face the Shadow. In that moment, my nervousness fled. I felt only a stillness, a calm sense of purpose. I opened my mouth, and I began to speak.

—from The Dragon Reborn, by Loial,
son of Arent son of Halan, of Stedding Shangtai
Lo, it shall Come upon the wold that the prison of the the Greatest One shall grow weak, like the limbs of those who crafted it. Once again  His glorious cloak shall smother the Pattern of all things,and the Great Lord shall stretch forth his hand to claim what is His

In that day, when the One-Eyed Fool travels the halls of mourning, and the First Among Vermin lift his hand to bring freedom to Him who will Destroy, the last days of the Fallen Blacksmith's pride shall come. Yea, and the Broken Wolf, the one whom Death has known, shall fall and be consumed by the Midnight Towers. And his destruction shall bring fear and sorrow to the hearts of men, and shall shake there very will itself.

And then, shall the Lord of the Evening come. And He shall take our eyes, for our souls shall bow before Him, and He shall take our skin, for our flesh shall serve him, And He shall take our lips, for only him we praise. And the Lord of the Evening shall face the Broken Champion, And shall spill his blood and bring us the Darkness so beautiful. Let the screams begin, O followers of the Shadow. Beg for your destruction!

—from The Prophecies of the Shadow
For Jason Denzel, Melissa Craib, Bob Kluttz, Jennifer Liang, Linda Taglieri, Matt Hatch, Leigh Butler, Mike Mackert, and all those readers who over the years have made The Wheel of Time part of their lives, and in doing so have made the lives of others better.
Mandarb's hooves beat a familiar rhythm on broken ground as Lan Mandragoran rode to his death.

The Last Battle has started. The seals on the Dark One’s prison are crumbling. The Pattern itself is unraveling, and the armies of the Shadow have begun to boil out of the Blight.The sun has begun to set upon the Third Age. Perrin Aybara is now hunted by specters from his past: Whitecloaks, a slayer of wolves, and the responsibilities of leadership. All the while, an unseen foe is slowly pulling a noose tight around his neck. To prevail, he must seek answers in Tel’aran’rhiod and find a way--at long last--to master the wolf within him or lose himself to it forever. Meanwhile, Matrim Cauthon prepares for the most difficult challenge of his life. The creatures beyond the stone gateways--the Aelfinn and the Eelfinn--have confused him, taunted him, and left him hanged, his memory stuffed with bits and pieces of other men’s lives. He had hoped that his last confrontation with them would be the end of it, but the Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills. The time is coming when he will again have to dance with the Snakes and the Foxes, playing a game that cannot be won. The Tower of Ghenjei awaits, and its secrets will reveal the fate of a friend long lost. This penultimate novel of Robert Jordan’s #1 New York Times bestselling series--the second of three based on materials he left behind when he died in 2007--brings dramatic and compelling developments to many threads in the Pattern. The end draws near.Dovie’andi se tovya sagain. It’s time to toss the dice.

As the seals on the Dark One's prison crumble and the armies of the Shadow boil out of the Blight, Perrin Aybara, hunted by specters from his past, must seek answers in "Tel'aran'rhiod" and find a way to master the wolf within him--or lose himself to it forever. Meanwhile, Matrim Cauthon prepares for the most difficult challenge of his life ... as The Tower of Ghenjei awaits.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,487,139 books! | Top bar: Always visible