Mindsight: The New Science of Personal Transformation

by Daniel J. Siegel

Inspiring and informative, "Mindsight" offers exciting new proof that people aren't hardwired to behave in certain ways, but instead have the ability to harness the power of their minds to resculpt the neural pathways of their brains.

English (7)  Italian (1)  Piratical (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (10)
The author talks about integrating the different parts of your brain with each other and even your brain with the brains of others using mindfulness practices. He ends with a lovely discussion on how we are connected to others and the world around us and meditating on this can give us peace of mind. I found a lot of things to like about this book. The author is really doing an interesting job blending neuroscience and psychology with maybe a splash of spirituality thrown in. There were a couple of shortcomings in my mind. For one, the book is not really a how to, as his discussions of the actual techniques he uses are quite brief. Also, I'm a little weary of the psychology book that is really a string of case studies where the author has helped each person overcome some huge obstacle. I don't doubt the power of the personal antidote, but I find it to be a dry, slightly dull book format at this point to just string them together with each person's problem representing a new point in the author's thinking, even though I've read lots of helpful books that employ this strategy. Overall, I found it worth reading. ( )
  AngelaMBarry | May 29, 2016 |
I found the book rather disappointing because I wanted more of a how-to guide to explain the steps of the mindfulness and awareness approach he outlined ( )
  ewillse | Jan 18, 2016 |
An excellent inspiring book on the mind and how taking a introspective approach to your thoughts and feelings through simple mediation techniques. The author demonstrates through many stories of how he helped his clients, how to deal with psychological issues. I would have liked more practical guidelines, but I think his actual techniques are so simple that they should be achievable. The impact his ideas and techniques have on the people he's worked with were dramatic. The human mind, and how the brain and body control it, are very important concepts that I will need to revisit by reading this book again sometime. ( )
  wifilibrarian | Jun 4, 2013 |
I take brain science / cognitive studies with a grain of salt. (To his credit, he does mention peptides, the heart, and other systems, with a sweep of his hand.) That said, Dr Danny Siegel's work is at the forefront of my attention, and this may be his most accessible for a mass audience. His illustration of the brain as your palm is worth a look, in and of itself. He finds the prefrontal cortex as regulating nine functions, and interesting what they are and how they interconnect; for instance positive "attachment" (as in Attachment Theory) and mindfulness. ( )
2 vote nobodhi | Apr 8, 2013 |
Audiobook ( )
  malrubius | Apr 2, 2013 |

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,649,537 books! | Top bar: Always visible