Mindsight: The New Science of Personal…

Mindsight: The New Science of Personal Transformation

by Daniel J. Siegel

An excellent inspiring book on the mind and how taking a introspective approach to your thoughts and feelings through simple mediation techniques. The author demonstrates through many stories of how he helped his clients, how to deal with psychological issues. I would have liked more practical guidelines, but I think his actual techniques are so simple that they should be achievable. The impact his ideas and techniques have on the people he's worked with were dramatic. The human mind, and how the brain and body control it, are very important concepts that I will need to revisit by reading this book again sometime. ( )
  wifilibrarian | Jun 4, 2013 |
I take brain science / cognitive studies with a grain of salt. (To his credit, he does mention peptides, the heart, and other systems, with a sweep of his hand.) That said, Dr Danny Siegel's work is at the forefront of my attention, and this may be his most accessible for a mass audience. His illustration of the brain as your palm is worth a look, in and of itself. He finds the prefrontal cortex as regulating nine functions, and interesting what they are and how they interconnect; for instance positive "attachment" (as in Attachment Theory) and mindfulness. ( )
1 vote nobodhi | Apr 8, 2013 |
Audiobook ( )
  malrubius | Apr 2, 2013 |
Great book, but it stops short after telling you about the process. He doesn't actually walk you through using the process. Annoying. ( )
2 vote remikit | Feb 13, 2010 |
Yet another "master-work" by Dan Siegel, my favorite author since I read his "The Developing Mind" years ago.

As usual, Dan synthesizes a variety of the latest findings in neuroscience to bolster his own theories regarding "Interpersonal Neurobiology" and how the "integrative" aspect of the prefrontal cortex is what promotes tremendous well-being in at least NINE demonstrable ways.

That Dan illustrates how this works by giving personal and client-case-examples makes the read particularly enjoyable and accessible to the lay person. Dan is a master story-teller; this "story-telling" is part of the "integrative work" of the prefrontal cortex.

Read this book to learn a bit about how meditation (be it secular or religious) that pays attention to your thoughts and intentions and labels emotions can promote integration and well-being.

I cannot recommend Dan Siegel's books highly enough! Read them to become not only your own best friend, but a compassionate, healthy, social being - one who benefits yourself, your children, your family, and the world.

You CAN - and science proves it - rewire your brain for healthier, happier and more "complex/integrative" functioning. Read this book to learn more. ( )
2 vote motjebben | Feb 2, 2010 |

This groundbreaking book, from one of the global innovators in the integration of brain science with psychotherapy, offers an extraordinary guide to the practice of “mindsight,” the potent skill that is the basis for both emotional and social intelligence. From anxiety to depression and feelings of shame and inadequacy, from mood swings to addictions, OCD, and traumatic memories, most of us have a mental “trap” that causes recurring conflict in our lives and relationships. Daniel J. Siegel, M.D., a clinical professor of psychiatry at the UCLA School of Medicine and co-director of the UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center, shows us how to use mindsight to escape these traps. Through his synthesis of a broad range of scientific research with applications to everyday life, Dr. Siegel has developed novel approaches that have helped hundreds of patients free themselves from obstacles blocking their happiness. By cultivating mindsight, all of us can effect positive, lasting changes in our brains—and our lives. A book as inspiring as it is profound, Mindsight can help us master our emotions, heal our relationships, and reach our fullest potential.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:51 -0400)

Inspiring and informative, "Mindsight" offers exciting new proof that people aren't hardwired to behave in certain ways, but instead have the ability to harness the power of their minds to resculpt the neural pathways of their brains.

176 wanted2 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,353,046 books! | Top bar: Always visible