The Thirteenth Princess by Diane Zahler

The Thirteenth Princess (2010)

by Diane Zahler

1971591,016 (3.67)3
    The Extra-Ordinary Princess by Carolyn Ebbitt (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both are stories of young princesses who must save their kingdoms from an encroaching evil.
    The Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye (foggidawn)

Diane Zahler made my childhood magical, and while I can't say this book was my favorite now, I adored her books when I was a little girl! ( )
  jlydia | Jun 25, 2018 |
I enjoyed this retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses, and I absolutely love the cover illustration. I do have to say that it is a pretty quick read, and there isn't necessarily a great deal of depth to it. But it holds up well, and younger audiences especially should enjoy it. ( )
  shadrachanki | Jun 8, 2018 |
A retelling of the twelve dancing princess except this time there is a thirteenth princess, Zita. Zita's mother dies when she's born and her father sends her to live with the servants so she's raised to be a kitchen maid. Zita and her sisters find a way to sneak Zita into their room, then strange events begin happening to the other princesses. Zita enlists the help of a witch and a stable boy to figure out what is going on. This book is aimed at children but there were a few too many references to sex in it for me to feel it is suitable for kids younger than around 5th grade. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
Young Reader Reaction: Teen Reviewer 1: The Thirteenth Princess is an enchanting, cute read for fourth to seventh grade readers. I enjoyed this book from beginning to end. From the dark-heartedness of an evil witch to the magic of a first love, all aspects of this book fully captured my heart. Although I already am a junior in high school, the charm of a cute fairy tale pulled me in. It would make a great gift for little sisters or other young girls.

Teen Reviewer 2: Although it is not my favorite version of The Twelve Dancing Princesses, The Thirteenth Princess is still a charming twist that does hold a surprise or two while staying faithful to its original plot. I would recommend this book to middle school students, but as a whole, it would probably be more interesting for someone who has not read The Twelve Dancing Princesses yet.

Pros: The Thirteenth Princess is a story that will bring readers back to their childhood dreams of knights and castles, leaving them with a smile on their face once they finish.

Read our full review and add yours at The Reading Tub®.
  TheReadingTub | Feb 28, 2015 |
Rounded up from somewhere above 3-1/2 stars. ( )
  Yona | May 2, 2013 |

Zita, cast aside by her father and raised as a kitchen maid, learns when she is nearly twelve that she is a princess and that her twelve sisters love her, and so when she discovers they are victims of an evil enchantment, she desperately tries to save them. Inspired by the Grimm fairy tale, "The twelve dancing princesses."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,395,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible