A Home For Christmas by Deborah Grace Staley

A Home For Christmas (edition 2009)

by Deborah Grace Staley

Rating:**
Tags:fiction, romance, Christmas, East Tennessee

A Home for Christmas by Deborah Grace Staley

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I didn't not get this as an ebook from the publisher, and received no answer when I told them I hadn't received the email. However, I saw it at the library and thought it was the perfect season to read this book. I actually loved this story and feel it's a perfect, light Christmas read. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for one with a Lifetime Christmas movie feel. ( )
  aheath | Nov 14, 2014 |
Dr. Janice Thornton has returned to her ancestral hometown of Angel Ridge, Tennessee. She practices medicine in Knoxville which is described as being about two hours away, although it and Maryville serve as the places most residents are hospitalized when the need arises in Angel Ridge. Her uncle wants her to take over his practice. She's not so sure she wants to do that. She meets a guy named Blake who has purchased her grandparents' home. It's love at first sight for him so he very much wants for her to stay. I almost abandoned this book about 50 pages into the book, but then I told myself I'd give it one more chapter to prove itself to me. Enter the character of Miss Estelee. I kept reading it. She wasn't a major character, but the book would have been sadly lacking had it not been for the characters of Miss Estelee and Dixie and the medical crises that arose. I think that one event that arose near the end was not fully resolved before she had the characters "kiss and make up" so that the romantic ending everyone expected could be there. ( )
  thornton37814 | Dec 14, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book from the Early Reviewers Giveaway. I was a nice small town Christmas romance. Janice is a big town doctor who goes to her mother's hometown to reminisce and meets Blake and an Uncle she did not realize she had. Her uncle wants her to move to Angel Ridge to take over his practice so he can retire. She has never really known what it is like to have a family or people who care about her and is very overwhelmed. She and Blake both have major trust issues that they have to resolve before they can have a healthy relationship. This was a cute story. But I had a hard time connecting with the characters. This was an okay read for me, not bad but not awesome either. Nice, light Christmas romance. ( )
  froggykm | Jul 13, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I couldn't seem to get into this. I was expecting a hard copy, not an email attachment. ( )
  Nee223 | Jun 2, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this as an e-book through LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program. It was an enjoyable, quick read, and the author has a way of writing that draws you right into the book. Unfortunately, I didn't find myself liking Blake all that much, so I was disappointed that Janice went back to him. I agree with the other readers who said that his anger issues did not really get resolved sufficiently for the happily-ever-after ending. ( )
  dulcimermom | Mar 23, 2010 |
What a great holiday book!

This is not a book I would go pick up, but was pleasantly surprised by the reading. It's a very classy book that kept my attention.
How can anyone turn down love at Christmas?!

I'm impressed!
added by sdtay | editLos Angeles Times (Dec 17, 2009)

"A HOME FOR CHRISTMAS is a feel-good community tale in the best tradition of storytellers like Debbie Macomber." Romance Junkies Dr. Janice Thornton has been lonely for too long, especially at Christmas. But Angel Ridge, Tennessee, the one place that holds the key to what family should be, is offering her a chance at a new life. Could she find happiness by taking over her uncle's small town practice? Local contractor and carpenter Blake Ferguson comes from a big family. He'd like to fill his rambling old Victorian with one of his own. But there's one problem. He needs a wife! When Janice shows up at his house, Blake sets a course to win her, but soon finds she's built a wall around her heart this master carpenter finds difficult to dismantle. Can the magic of an Angel Ridge Christmas bring hearts home or will old hurts create an obstacle even the town's legendary angels can't overcome?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:59 -0400)

Dr. Janice Thornton has been lonely for too long especially at Christmas. But Angel Ridge Tennessee is offering her a chance at a new life. Could she find happiness by taking over her uncle's small town practice? Local contractor Blake Ferguson comes from a big family and he'd like to fill his rambling Victorian home with one of his own. But first he needs a wife! Can the magic of an Angel Ridge Christmas bring hearts together?… (more)

Deborah Grace Staley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Deborah Grace Staley chatted with LibraryThing members from Nov 30, 2009 to Dec 13, 2009. Read the chat.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

A Home For Christmas by Deborah Grace Staley was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,040,003 books! | Top bar: Always visible