Truly, Madly by Heather Webber

Truly, Madly

by Heather Webber

Don Of The Dead by Casey Daniels (TheLibraryhag)
    Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria Laurie (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both are mysteries with psychics and a healthy dose of romantic overtones. Abby Cooper becomes wrapped up in a murder investigation when one of her clients dies a violent death and (reluctantly) uses her abilities to help solve the case. In Truly, Madly the protagonist must take over her family's matchmaking business despite the fact that her power only allows her to find lost objects - and the last object she saw happens to be on a dead woman's finger.… (more)

English (364)  Piratical (2)  All (366)
A mystery novel with a twist!

All the Valentines can see the color of the aura surrounding individuals. Like her ancestors, Lucy Valentine had this power until one night when she was fourteen years old, and it literally got shocked out of her by an electrical surge. Lucy's ability changed that night. Now with just a touch to another's palm, Lucy is able to see and find whatever object that person might have lost.

Lucy is of the mindset that her power is useless trick, that it can do no real good. Through the events in the story, she learns that her ability does allow her to do so much more than just find her father's lost swim trunks.

I really enjoyed this story. It didn't start out as a page turner, but it certainly ended up that way. I like to tell myself that I'm good at figuring out the killer in stories. Whether it be books, movies, or tv shows. But I'm just giving myself too much credit. I thought I had the killer locked up tight, but then Webber threw me for a loop. I'll admit I was wrong on this one. Well done for keeping my on my toes.

The love story wasn't in the forefront of the story, but somehow it was always there, on the side helping the story along. This book spans the length of about a week or so (if I followed correctly). I'm happy that the author made Sean and Lucy's friendship and subsequent deeper feelings for each other realistic.
A lot of times authors make their hero and heroine meet, fall in love, and get their happily ever after all in the span of a few weeks. I was happy with where Webber took Lucy and Sean, and how the story ended up. Otherwise it definitely would have felt like insta-love.

Overall Truly, Madly was a very enjoyable book. I'm excited there are more books in the series and rumor has it Webber is writing a sixth book! I can't wait to read more about Lucy, Sean, Raphael, Marisol, Em and of course Dovie! ( )
  BooksForTheLiving | Mar 20, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Truly, madly was a delightful read. When I started to read it I thought it would be a light romance, but it turned out to be a mystery! - A mystery with a light romance. It probably would be considered a cozy mystery. I found the characters realistic with realistic types of concerns - dealing with quirky family members, wanting to do a job well, time with friends, and am I really falling for this guy types of issues. And of course solving the mystery. I was reminded of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series but this was more classy. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the books in the series. I received this book as part of the LibraryThing Early Reviewers. ( )
  clp2go | Aug 26, 2016 |
This book was exactly what I wanted. I loved Lucy. She was real. She had extremely wealthy parents and could have everything, but instead chooses to go it on her own without using any of their money. She has tried several careers, but hasn't yet found her niche. She tends to take in animals in need, and because of this has a three legged cat and a one-eyed hamster. She also believes that her love life is cursed so has no hope that she will ever have a lasting relationship. She also has a great sense of humor and I found myself chuckling several times throughout the story. When Sean enters the picture, she is immediately attracted to him but determined to stay away because of the curse. This strategy, of course, doesn't work. I like however, that the romance doesn't overtake the story. Lucy is her own person and makes her own decisions and Sean isn't consistently coming to her rescue.
The book also has a good plot. Lucy and Sean find a body and Lucy needs to figure out who the murderer is so they dig deeper into the possible suspects to try to solve the crime. During the investigation, Lucy also has trouble with the police because they want to know how she knows so much. The plot has a few good twists and turns and the minor characters like Dovie, Em, and the lieutenant add to the fun of the story. You can tell that these will be more prominent characters in future books. One of my favorite minor characters was Raphael, who is the driver and who has known Lucy since she was three. He calls her Uva (which means grape) because when she was little, she had such a meltdown, she looked as red as a grape. She calls him Pasa (which means raisin) because when he was yelling at her during that meltdown, his face was squished like a raisin. He isn't in the story much but you can tell he is a big part of her life. I look forward to seeing more of him. The end was a surprise to me which I also liked because I don't like a predictable story.
All in all, this was a fairly quick, light read that was fun but also included a mystery and some suspense/intrigue. The end was a surprise to me which I also liked because I don't like a predictable story. Is it deep? Not at all. But I wasn't in the mood for deep. I enjoyed it enough that I immediately grabbed the next book, Deeply Desperately, and I will be starting it today. I have to say that I am looking forward to seeing what happens to Lucy next! :) ( )
  Lagnella | Mar 4, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Heather Webber's Lucy Valentine series is great for a bit of light reading and I always look forward to the next book in the series. "Truly Madly" is a fantastic introduction to the series that sets up likeable characters. This novel is full of both mystery and laughs with a good dose of romance thrown in. ( )
  recordsandpearls | Dec 23, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed 'Truly, Madly' and now have forever to wait until the next book comes out. The Lucy Valentine series reminds me a lot of the Sookie Stackhouse series; the sensuality and mystery are both on the same level of awesomeness in both series. The combination of a great heroine, an awesome plot, and a hunky dude makes this book amazing. I love the two main characters, they are both beautiful and spunky. The mystery based plot was excellent and wasn't to over the top or too predictable. I can't wait to read more of this authors work or see more sparks between Lucy and Sean. I wonder if there will be an 'Eric' in her future?? ( )
  rosetyper9 | Nov 12, 2015 |
There comes a time in every girl's life when she realizes her father isn't perfect.

Lucy Valentine is as smart as can be and so not qualified to run a matchmaking service. But when her parents temporarily step down from the family business, it's Lucy's turn to step up and help out.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Truly, Madly by Heather Webber was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,887,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible