One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia

One Crazy Summer (edition 2011)

by Rita Williams-Garcia

Member:annie-b
Title:One Crazy Summer
Authors:Rita Williams-Garcia
Info:Amistad (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 240 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:juvenile, historical fiction, 60's, California, Oakland, Black Panthers

One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor (CurrerBell)
    The Rock and the River by Kekla Magoon (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although The Rock and the River has a more serious tone, both of these historical novels show the emotionally intense struggle for civil rights--particularly the split in families--between those siding with the Black Panthers and those promoting nonviolence.… (more)
    P.S. Be Eleven by Rita Williams-Garcia (CurrerBell)
    CurrerBell: P.S. Be Eleven is the sequel to One Crazy Summer.
    The Watsons Go to Birmingham by Christopher Paul Curtis (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush by Virginia Hamilton (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: Similar relationships of main character to mother.

This book is so heart warming and enlightening. I loved the story and how it described the time and place of the girls. This is the story is about three girls who meet their estranged mother during the summer of 68 (I think). There are themes of struggle, love, displacement, and activism. i would like to use this book in the future with students age 8-12. ( )
  MorganneLloyd | Oct 15, 2018 |
This story set in the summer of 1968 and is about three sisters who are sent by their father from Oakland, California to visit their mother who abandoned them. They don’t believe the stories that are told about their mother and think when they get to see her it is going to be fun, happy, reunion. Upon arriving, they quickly learn that the woman they meet has no true intentions of being a mother and only wants to write poetry. The girls are sent to a Black-Panther summer camp where they learn about the Civil Rights movement, their own history and their mothers, self defense, and Black Power.

I thought it was easy to read because it is in the point of view of Delphine, who is also the main character. She not only explains what is going on but also explains in great detail about how she is feeling throughout the story. I think the story is a good introduction to the Civil Rights Movement and would be great for students to read independently. It is engaging and feel like most readers would be able to connect with the story because of Delphine’s age. I really liked that historical events were discussed and also included people such as Huey Newton and the death of Bobby Hutton. I found there were a lot of literary devices used, like symbolism, foreshadowing, historic realism, well rounded characters, etc. and think that are a lot of real life discussions about prejudice, social development, culturally significant experiences, and more that teachers can have with their students. I think I would have 5th, 6th, or older read this story. I personally learned a lot from it and feel like I got a better understanding of the history behind that time period.
  edalton | Oct 15, 2018 |
Three sisters decide to travel to Compton to meet their Mother who left them when they were younger. One they arrive, their mother is not super warm towards them. She sends them to a center where the Black Panthers educate the girls on what it means to be proud to be African American and how to defend yourself against people like the police. They print out flyers and attend marches with the Black Panthers. Their mother and other members of the group are even arrested. The girls recite a poem that their mother wrote at a rally. Eventually their mother is released and they are all united with one another. ( )
  KailiMarion | Oct 11, 2018 |
In the summer of 1968, three young sisters travel on their own, sent by their father from Brooklyn to Oakland, California, to visit their mother, who walked out on them when Delphine (the oldest, now 11) was only five. They spend a month trying to get to know this woman, who frequently reminds them that she didn't ask for them to visit and won't stand for them to disturb her peace and quiet while she writes poetry. So they spend their days at a community center run by the Black Panthers, coloring protest signs, handing out political flyers, and learning what it means to be empowered.
I love how the two parts of the story - the sisters struggling to come to terms with their mother against the backdrop of Oakland in the late '60s - are woven together so well. It makes a compelling story, made even better by the lively characters of the the three sisters. ( )
  electrascaife | Jul 15, 2018 |
I don't normally pick realistic or contemporary types of genre, but I really liked this book. Being told by the sisters point of view, and how she is learning to live out her summer with the mom that abandoned her is such a great story. It is set in Oakland during the riots in the 1960's. The girls don't at first realize that there mom is part of the Black Panther movement, but soon learn that their mom has a side of her that they had no knowledge of, and maybe some experiences in her life that they aren't aware of. ( )
  iversonh | Jul 11, 2018 |

Rita Williams-Garciaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Johnson, Sisi AishaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the late Churne Lloyd, and especially for Maryhana, Kamau, Ife, and Oni
Good thing the plane had seat belts and we'd been strapped in tight before takeoff. Without them, that last jolt would have been enough to throw Vonetta into orbit and Fern across the aisle.
"It's just the clouds bumping...We push our way into the clouds; the clouds get mad and push back. Like you and Fern fighting over red and gold crayons."...I kept on spinning straw, making everything all right. That's mainly what I do. Keep Vonetta and Fern in line. The last thing Pa and Big Ma wanted to hear was how we made a grand Negro spectacle of ourselves thirty thousand feet up in the air around all these white people.

In the summer of 1968, after traveling from Brooklyn to Oakland, California, to spend a month with the mother they barely know, eleven-year-old Delphine and her two younger sisters arrive to a cold welcome as they discover that their mother, a dedicated poet and printer, is resentful of the intrusion of their visit and wants them to attend a nearby Black Panther summer camp.

In the summer of 1968, after travelling from Brooklyn to Oakland, California, to spend a month with the mother they barely know, eleven-year-old Delphine and her two younger sisters arrive to a cold welcome as they discover that their mother, a dedicated poet and printer, is resentful of the intrusion of their visit and wants them to attend a nearby Black Panther summer camp.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,285,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible