Ship breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi

Ship breaker (edition 2010)

by Paolo Bacigalupi

Member:Art25
Title:Ship breaker
Authors:Paolo Bacigalupi
Info:New York : Little, Brown, 2010.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi

Recently added bybarbaraprice, mo_smith, fighterofevil, willoughby, JohnEKerry, private library, Mirandalg14
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (theycallmeEJ)
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (theycallmeEJ)
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (theycallmeEJ)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (theycallmeEJ, clif_hiker)
    Boneshaker by Cherie Priest (clif_hiker)
    Enclave by Ann Aguirre (SunnySD)
    Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve (Rubbah)
    Planesrunner by Ian McDonald (ahstrick)
    Pure by Julianna Baggott (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both stories deal with environmental issues and teen survival
    Rootless by Chris Howard (wifilibrarian)
    wifilibrarian: Rootless shares several themes and settings with Ship Breaker. Both stories have teen male protagonists with family issues, and both stories are set in future worlds where the environment has collapsed due to human interference. Both include the setting of a future dystopian/post-apocalyptic New Orleans.… (more)
    A Small Free Kiss in the Dark by Glenda Millard (kaledrina)
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (clif_hiker)
    Trash by Andy Mulligan (BookshelfMonstrosity)

English (159)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (160)
Ship breaker is a difficult book to review. It's brilliantly written, has an interesting cast of characters, and exists in a beautifully realised, but gritty and dirty post apocalyptic world. The plot is fine, and it's written in such away to make it accessible and easy to race through.
I've no doubt this is a 5 star book and I was engrossed the whole time I read it. Yet for whatever reason I'm not compelled to read the sequel (Drowned Cities). Maybe it didn't completely capture my imagination or maybe it was down to some of the (semi) predictable plot events. I'll avoid spoilers, but I saw two major occurences towards the end of the novel coming. This could be Paolo's skill at employing Chekhov's gun style foreshadowing, and I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt as he does write so well, but it still diminished my overall feel towards the book.
I would still definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a post-apocalytic YA novel. It's great, but not quite interesting enough for me to read the sequel ... yet. ( )
  JohnEKerry | Aug 20, 2014 |
I thought the environmental issue (how we have caused so much destruction) was dealt with in a nice round-about way. Definitely a book to add to the dystopian list. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Nailer is a teen-age boy living in a run down coastal village in a future United States devastated by drastic weather conditions. He earns his living by salvaging items from shipwrecks. This is a "dog-eat-dog" civilization with clear class distinctions and everyone hoping for that "Lucky Strike" to move them up the ladder. Nailer thinks he may have found such a way out when he discovers and rescues Nita, the daughter of a large shipping magnate. What transpires next though leads to a matter of life or death as the two teens attempt to escape deadly pursuers and return Nita to her father.
Well written, exciting, and a highly recommended read. ( )
  SheilaCornelisse | Jul 17, 2014 |
Great dystopia. Feels completely plausible and, in fact, probable. The central theme revolves around the choices that we must make, especially when we are in reduced circumstances. Great novel about choosing our destinies. ( )
  edellaporta | Jul 13, 2014 |
Personally--I read the first few chapters and decided it wasn't worth it. Maybe if I had gotten more into it..... ( )
  FaithLibrarian | Jun 26, 2014 |
Bacigalupi is a highly acclaimed adult sci-fi writer, and Ship Breaker won last year's prestigious Printz award for young-adult fiction in the US. It's a taut, disciplined novel, moving with tremendous coiled energy and urgency. I found it a tad colourless in places, but Nailer is a fine hero, complicated and questioning, always wondering whether he's doomed to inherit his father's failings or whether he can make his own destiny.

Which is, of course, the essential question of every dystopia. And basically the essential question of every teenager, too. Why do teenagers like dystopias? Simple. They're looking for proof that there's a way to survive the one in which they're already living.

Paolo Bacigalupiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caplan, DavidDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Horváth, NorbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swaab, NeilCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warner, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Arjun
Nailer clambered through a service duct, tugging at copper wire and yanking it free.
The blood bond was nothing. It was the people that mattered. If they covered your back, and you covered theirs, then maybe that was worth calling family. Everything else was just so much smoke and lies. (p. 274)

Even at night, the wrecks glowed with work. The torch lights flickered, bobbing and moving. Sledge noise rang across the water. Comforting sounds of work and activity, the air tanged with the coal reek of smelters and the salt fresh breeze coming off the water. It was beautiful.

In America's Gulf Coast region, where grounded oil tankers are being broken down for parts, Nailer, a teenage boy, works the light crew, scavenging for copper wiring just to make quota — and hopefully live to see another day. But when, by luck or chance, he discovers an exquisite clipper ship beached during a recent hurricane, Nailer faces the most important decision of his life — strip the ship for all it's worth or rescue its lone survivor, a beautiful and wealthy girl who could lead him to a better life...

In this powerful novel, award-winning author Paolo Bacigalupi delivers a thrilling, fast-paced adventure set in a vivid and raw, uncertain future.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Set initially in a future shanty town in America's Gulf Coast region, where grounded oil tankers are being disassembled for parts by a ragtag group of workers, we meet Nailer, a teenage boy working the light crew, searching for copper wiring to make quota and live another day. The harsh realities of this life, from his abusive father to his hand-to-mouth existence, echo the worst poverty in the present-day third world.

When an accident leads Nailer to discover an exquisite clipper ship beached during a recent hurricane, and the lone survivor, a beautiful and wealthy girl, Nailer finds himself at a crossroads. Should he strip the ship and live a life of relative wealth, or rescue the girl, Nita, at great risk to himself and hope she'll lead him to a better life. This is a novel that illuminates a world where oil has been replaced by necessity, and where the gap between the haves and have-nots is now an abyss. Yet amidst the shadows of degradation, hope lies ahead.

In a futuristic world, teenaged Nailer scavenges copper wiring from grounded oil tankers for a living, but when he finds a beached clipper ship with a girl in the wreckage, he has to decide if he should strip the ship for its wealth or rescue the girl.… (more)

578 wanted4 pay7 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,285,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible