7 Souls by Barnabas Miller

7 Souls

by Barnabas Miller

55None212,868 (3.77)None

The best part was the twisty, puzzle piece plot and waiting to see if the authors were going to be able to put it all together. The first half of the book should really have been the first third though - it drags a little compared to the tense, action-packed second half; by the last third of the book I didn't want to put it down. While I came to sympathize with the characters, I certainly didn't like most of them. It's definitely refreshing to have read what appears to be a standalone title instead of the starter for a series. I'd say this is probably more for mystery than horror or paranormal fans. Overall, I'd call this a fine choice for recreational reading. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |
Barnabs Miller gives you hints in the beginning of the book to help you understand what comes next. This book is kind of creepy in a way that’s cool. Until now I’ve never read a more mind twisting book in my life. The book is called “7 Souls” creepy!!! Later in the book you will find out why it’s called “7 Souls”.

When Marie Shayne thinks everyone loves her she was wrong. Waking up in a furniture store butt naked in a bed is weird, but here’s the thing she doesn’t know that her sister put her there for a reason. It was part of Ellen’s evil plan to ruin her sister’s life. The book is kind of like the twilight saga but in one book and without the wolves and vampires.

7 souls is a unique book in its own way. Just the whole content, twists and turns the story takes are incredible. This story’s quality is elegant in way that only teenagers would understand. It proposes the teenage life and all the stress and problems that come across their minds. Ellen and Marie’s mother never knew how much Ellen hated her sister, that she made a plan to destroy her life. Knowing this book so well has given me the opportunity to recommend an audience that’s pointed out for this book and I would say twelve-years old and up. Reason I have pointed this book towards that audience is because there is some adult language and adult content. I’m giving this book a star rating, which will be five stars from me- Allison Haines ( )
  AllisonHaines | Nov 16, 2011 |
I was really enjoying this book, up until the fact that the copy I got from the library was missing the last thirty pages. I managed to piece together what happened through book previews, but the story had basically sorted itself out -- expect for the big reveal. 7 Souls was okay, nothing great, though the authors did take a big risk at the end, but it was kind of a let down at the same time. I doubt I'll be reading anything else by these authors. ( )
  callmecayce | Jun 14, 2011 |
First off, the cover is UGLY. I judge books by their covers all of the time. If I hadn't gone the extra mile to read the blurb, I would never have picked this book up. I'm also not a fan of the title. It's boring. It doesn't even make sense until the last fourth of the book. This is a contemporary supernatural teen, and it does not look like that from the cover. Which is sad since I liked the book.

I expected Mary to die pretty close to the beginning. She's going to be inhabiting 7 souls and I assumed she would relive the whole day through different people, like Before I Fall, sorta. But the whole first half is Mary living her day, she doesn't die until pg 179. And then she only sees snippets of the day through her seven visits to other bodies. So I got a little impatient for her to die since I expected it to happen so much sooner.

Also, I'm totally into plot, just set up the basic scene and I'm good. There was a lot of description of places and people that I just didn't care about, so I thought it lagged a little. More impatience.

Mary isn't a very sympathetic character. She's a selfish jerk. Which is the point of the plot. And even though she isn't a great person, I still felt rather badly for her. Especially when she ends up dead at the end of her birthday.

But, the overall plot is awesome. I really liked the twists and turns. Reading through the day through Mary's eyes the first time I had assumptions and ideas of what was going on, and sometimes I was right and other times I was completely off base. I liked seeing the day through her friend's eyes and the memories that came a long with the habitation. It was a ride. It was a fun ride that I enjoyed a lot.

The ending confused me, but not in a way that distracted from my liking. I actually liked it better than Before I Fall, though this is a great read alike for Before I Fall, too. Same concept, different execution. (haha, get it?) ( )
  resugo | Nov 11, 2010 |
I'm not going to give you a detailed synopsis because if you do decide to read this, it's probably best that you go in as blind as possible.

Mary's 17th birthday is today. It's not going well--her mom forgot, so did her friends and her boyfriend broke up with her. And then it gets worse. A LOT worse.

This is one of those books where there are a lot of twists and turns--some I called ridiculously early and some I didn't. I gave it three stars because I didn't really like Mary, so it was hard to feel any sort of sympathy for her. But it was an enjoyable read. ( )
  khager | Aug 7, 2010 |

Mary expected her seventeenth birthday to be a blowout to remember, courtesy of her best friends, fellow New York City prepsters Amy and Joon, and her doting boyfriend, Trick.
            Instead, the day starts badly and gets worse. After waking up in a mortifying place with a massive, unexplainable hangover, Mary soon discovers that nobody at school is even aware that it's her birthday. As evening approaches, paranoia sets in. Mary just can't shake the feeling that someone is out to get her—and, as it turns out, she's right. Before the night is over, she's been killed in cold blood.
            But murder is just the beginning of Mary's ordeal. Her soul gets trapped in a strange limbo, and she must relive the day of her death through the eyes of seven people—each of whom, she finds, had plenty of reasons to hate her. As Mary explores the mysteries of her world, discovering secrets that were hidden in plain sight while she was alive, she clings desperately to the hope that she can solve her own murder, change the past, and—just maybe—save her own life.
            With its blend of suspense, horror, fantasy, and realism, 7 Souls is an adrenaline rush of a thriller.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:46 -0400)

Inexplicable things have been happening to Manhattan socialite Mary since she awoke on her seventeenth birthday, and by the end of the day she has been killed, inhabited the bodies of seven people close to her, and faced some ugly truths about herself.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,488,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible