Naamah's Curse by Jacqueline Carey

Naamah's Curse (edition 2011)

by Jacqueline Carey

5612017,757 (3.85)17
Member:jdk102000
Title:Naamah's Curse
Authors:Jacqueline Carey
Info:Grand Central Pub 2011-04-26 (2011), Paperback

Naamah's Curse by Jacqueline Carey

I have been a devote fan of this series since book one and not a single book did Ms. Carey disappoint me, the trend still holds. These books are epic fantasy meets sensuality and you will feel every touch, kiss, and caress as if it were your own. This book reminds me so much of the (I think third) book in the series and it freaked me out for Moirin, this book is beyond nerve-wracking for a reader but soo worth the read.

I love the different levels of emotion you get to see in this story. You get to feel many different kinds of love, that just Moirin feels alone. I think Ms. Carey did an excellent job on this book and I can't wait to see what happens in the next one. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
I can't decide between 3 and 4 stars, so I'll give it 3.5.

Carey's writing is still fantastic, though I thought she overused some stylistic choices here and there, and she still creates some of the most believable cultures and nuanced people IÛªve experienced in a novel. Moirin journeys across a large swath of Asian-inspired lands, reminiscent of India, Nepal, and Tibet, and into the Himalayas. Again, like in Naamah's Kiss, I found the latter half of this book better than the first: in the first section, Moirin is captured by religious zealots who are reminiscent of Inquisitors (this section became wearily pointed in terms of religious differences and had way too much talking) who wish for her to renounce her myriad gods; in the second section, she meets a very saint-like woman and goes with her into the mountains to confront the nefarious but extremely sympathetic Spider Queen. Most of what happens shows that Moirin is at a crossroads in her faith (it‰Ûªs difficult being claimed by so many divergent gods) and unsure of the unfolding of her destiny, though she does still have more blind faith than any character I know.

Moirin spends the bulk of her time searching for Bao, her soul mate (for lack of a better term) who has the other half of her diadh-anam, and overcoming one difficulty after another to be with him. That would be fine, if Bao was better developed; unfortunately, just like in the first book, he is only in about half the book. Then again, Carey has the chops to develop a living, breathing character in that time, so I'm still at a loss as to why he seems less developed than some of her minor characters. Maybe it's not that he's not developed (he has a compelling backstory and he certainly goes through a lot) -- maybe it's because he just doesn't have much personality. He seems totally defined by Moirin's relationship with him, and I have a hard time buying her being so passionately in love with Bao when he doesn't seem to have much purpose. He seems like a plot device, in other words, and his purpose is to give Moirin a reason to run all over the world and meet other, far more interesting people. The only thing that saves the relationship for me is that Bao seems to know this and is resentful of his fate as a lesser being orbiting Moirin. So, maybe it's intentional, but I still don't buy him as a person I should care about.

At the end, there is excellent foreshadowing of the ominous return of Raphael de Mereliot, who may or may not be possessed by a capricious, dangerous god, which will keep me excited for the third book. I look forward to their confrontation and finding out what it will have to do with Moirin's destiny, which still seems vague. Also, I hope Moirin's father will be in the third book more, because I loved his character and wished to find out more about him.•à À ( )
  Crowinator | Sep 23, 2013 |
Again masterfully done. I read the first two of this series in the space of a week like normal and I'll be picking up the third as soon as I can get my hands on it. Miss Carey has once more outdone herself. All the new lands, all the references to old stories, all the brand new types of magic, and history and interaction. And so much love.

I can never recommend these books enough, nor write anything that might spoil or prepare you for the deep magic within her pages. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Jul 24, 2013 |
....There's a lot of sex in this book. /states the obvious

I have, uh, not read any Carey before. There is a *lot* of sex in this book. A lot more than I was expecting, I will not lie.

This somehow does not feel padded or over-full of plot and characters -- many writers would try and take this amount of Stuff Happening, and turn it into two or three books. Carey does not, and I am delighted to report that it works really, really well; the pacing is good, and coming to this as a new Carey reader, one does not feel horribly lost. It's very episodic, with pretty clear act-separations, but it works.

Also, Moirin's occasional "omg wtf you want me to do *what*? I am *so not the hero you people are looking for*" reactions made me happy; she never felt overly oh noes I am not worthy!, even when I could have done with a little less of the phrase "bedamned destiny". ( )
  cricketbats | Apr 18, 2013 |
Book two of Everybody Wants Moirin. Sorry, that's not the title. Ahem. Anyway, with the usual caveats applied to Jacqueline Carey's writing -- the prose is slightly archaic and may put you off; everybody falls in love with the heroine and wants to sleep with her; it's probably more than a tad heretical, etc -- I enjoyed it a lot. It's been a while since I sat down with a book and raced through it in a day, which contributes to my enjoyment: it's very good to get lost in a fictional world on occasion. I heartily recommend the experience, even if everybody's got different tastes on that score. But you guys on GoodReads know this, as do most of my friends...

Anyway. This story continues to take Moirin across the world. I think she examines the things around her less than Phèdre did -- certainly I didn't feel that the world was as rich and sparkling and full of learning as I did. I did wince a little at Carey's decision to have Moirin basically reform the Indian caste system. Okay, it's really the efforts of the Rani Amrita that gets things done, but white (sorry, 'honey-skinned') Moirin and her gods are the ones that bring this message. I still enjoyed it, but I did think it more than a bit problematic. Undoubtedly having a caste of untouchables is a terrible thing from our point of view, but the white races thinking they know better have caused plenty of problems of their own.

I'm looking forward to the third book, and have a pretty good idea where it's going. Bao and Moirin are no Phèdre and Joscelin -- they don't make me heartsick and frightened for them -- but I do want to know what they do next. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
As the city of Shuntian dwindled in the distance behind me, a mixture of dread and exhilaration filled me.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446198056, Hardcover)

Jacqueline Carey, New York Times bestselling author of the Kushiel's Legacy series, delivers book two in her new lushly imagined trilogy featuring daughter of Alba, Moirin.

NAAMAH'S CURSE

Far from the land of her birth, Moirin sets out across Tatar territory to find Bao, the proud and virile Ch'in fighter who holds the missing half of her diadh-anam, the divine soul-spark of her mother's people. After a long ordeal, she not only succeeds, but surrenders to a passion the likes of which she's never known. But the lovers' happiness is short lived, for Bao is entangled in a complication that soon leads to their betrayal.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:32 -0400)

Far from the land of her birth, Moirin sets out across Tatar territory to find Bao, the proud and virile Ch'in fighter who holds the missing half of her "diadh-anam," the divine soul-spark of her mother's people. After a long ordeal, she not only succeeds, but surrenders to a passion the likes of which she's never known. But the lovers' happiness is short lived, for Bao is entangled in a complication that soon leads to their betrayal.… (more)

230 wanted2 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,369,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible