Naamah's Curse by Jacqueline Carey

Naamah's Curse (edition 2011)

by Jacqueline Carey

Title:Naamah's Curse
Authors:Jacqueline Carey
Info:Grand Central Pub 2011-04-26 (2011), Paperback

Naamah's Curse by Jacqueline Carey

In my opinion. this was the best book of the last trilogy, and perhaps the longest. So much happened! Moirin got Bao back, got kidnapped by religious nuts from Aurelia (which is based on medieval Russia), got out and had go after Bao again. A lot of heartbreak and a lot of fantastic secondary characters. Really enjoyed it, although it can't compare in epicness with first and second trilogy in this world. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I loved the original three Kushiel books. I miss those characters--it's the same world, but they're only historical figures in this book. I'm enjoying the tour through this alternate world on it's own terms now--this one featuring it's version of Russia and India. And I like Moirin--not the way I loved Phedre as a heroine--but then again Bao is shaping up as my favorite Carey hero to date. And if these books have yet to move me to tears the way the Kushiel books did--well, this sure had me eagerly scrolling through the pages to learn what happens next. I did begin to feel a bit cynical about the relentlessly upbeat take on sexuality--in this medieval world apparently without unwanted pregnancies (if you're D'Angeline) or STDs and where your sig other only smiles at the idea of you falling in love--and into bed--with the next pretty thing of either sex to come along. And your personal god(less) blesses it all. Fantasy indeed. ( )
  LisaMariaC | Nov 13, 2015 |
I have been a devote fan of this series since book one and not a single book did Ms. Carey disappoint me, the trend still holds. These books are epic fantasy meets sensuality and you will feel every touch, kiss, and caress as if it were your own. This book reminds me so much of the (I think third) book in the series and it freaked me out for Moirin, this book is beyond nerve-wracking for a reader but soo worth the read.

I love the different levels of emotion you get to see in this story. You get to feel many different kinds of love, that just Moirin feels alone. I think Ms. Carey did an excellent job on this book and I can't wait to see what happens in the next one. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 12, 2015 |
I can't decide between 3 and 4 stars, so I'll give it 3.5.

Carey's writing is still fantastic, though I thought she overused some stylistic choices here and there, and she still creates some of the most believable cultures and nuanced people IÛªve experienced in a novel. Moirin journeys across a large swath of Asian-inspired lands, reminiscent of India, Nepal, and Tibet, and into the Himalayas. Again, like in Naamah's Kiss, I found the latter half of this book better than the first: in the first section, Moirin is captured by religious zealots who are reminiscent of Inquisitors (this section became wearily pointed in terms of religious differences and had way too much talking) who wish for her to renounce her myriad gods; in the second section, she meets a very saint-like woman and goes with her into the mountains to confront the nefarious but extremely sympathetic Spider Queen. Most of what happens shows that Moirin is at a crossroads in her faith (it‰Ûªs difficult being claimed by so many divergent gods) and unsure of the unfolding of her destiny, though she does still have more blind faith than any character I know.

Moirin spends the bulk of her time searching for Bao, her soul mate (for lack of a better term) who has the other half of her diadh-anam, and overcoming one difficulty after another to be with him. That would be fine, if Bao was better developed; unfortunately, just like in the first book, he is only in about half the book. Then again, Carey has the chops to develop a living, breathing character in that time, so I'm still at a loss as to why he seems less developed than some of her minor characters. Maybe it's not that he's not developed (he has a compelling backstory and he certainly goes through a lot) -- maybe it's because he just doesn't have much personality. He seems totally defined by Moirin's relationship with him, and I have a hard time buying her being so passionately in love with Bao when he doesn't seem to have much purpose. He seems like a plot device, in other words, and his purpose is to give Moirin a reason to run all over the world and meet other, far more interesting people. The only thing that saves the relationship for me is that Bao seems to know this and is resentful of his fate as a lesser being orbiting Moirin. So, maybe it's intentional, but I still don't buy him as a person I should care about.

At the end, there is excellent foreshadowing of the ominous return of Raphael de Mereliot, who may or may not be possessed by a capricious, dangerous god, which will keep me excited for the third book. I look forward to their confrontation and finding out what it will have to do with Moirin's destiny, which still seems vague. Also, I hope Moirin's father will be in the third book more, because I loved his character and wished to find out more about him.•à À ( )
  Crowinator | Sep 23, 2013 |
Again masterfully done. I read the first two of this series in the space of a week like normal and I'll be picking up the third as soon as I can get my hands on it. Miss Carey has once more outdone herself. All the new lands, all the references to old stories, all the brand new types of magic, and history and interaction. And so much love.

I can never recommend these books enough, nor write anything that might spoil or prepare you for the deep magic within her pages. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Jul 24, 2013 |
As the city of Shuntian dwindled in the distance behind me, a mixture of dread and exhilaration filled me.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446198056, Hardcover)

Jacqueline Carey, New York Times bestselling author of the Kushiel's Legacy series, delivers book two in her new lushly imagined trilogy featuring daughter of Alba, Moirin.

Far from the land of her birth, Moirin sets out across Tatar territory to find Bao, the proud and virile Ch'in fighter who holds the missing half of her diadh-anam, the divine soul-spark of her mother's people. After a long ordeal, she not only succeeds, but surrenders to a passion the likes of which she's never known. But the lovers' happiness is short lived, for Bao is entangled in a complication that soon leads to their betrayal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:42 -0400)

Far from the land of her birth, Moirin sets out across Tatar territory to find Bao, the proud and virile Ch'in fighter who holds the missing half of her "diadh-anam," the divine soul-spark of her mother's people. After a long ordeal, she not only succeeds, but surrenders to a passion the likes of which she's never known. But the lovers' happiness is short lived, for Bao is entangled in a complication that soon leads to their betrayal.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,859,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible