Atlantis Complex, The (Volume 7) by Eoin…

Atlantis Complex, The (Volume 7) (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Eoin Colfer (Author)

Member:zumana
Title:Atlantis Complex, The (Volume 7)
Authors:Eoin Colfer (Author)
Info:Disney Hyperion (2010), 268 pages
Tags:to-read, series, unfinished-series

The Atlantis Complex by Eoin Colfer (2010)

English (57)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (59)
I just don't like this book.

For me, this takes all the things I like about Artemis as a character, squashes them, and replaces them with all the stuff I passionately dislike in a Chivalrous Hero. Holly's downplayed, Foaly doesn't shine in field work at all, and Butler too dampened by concern for the people he loves to be the fearsome Butler I've grown to love.

Juliet's fine. Mulch is fantastic. No 1 is... well, he's No 1.

From a writing and storyline standpoint, The Atlantis Complex feels so far removed from the mood of the rest of the series. At the end of the story, Artemis himself even comments that it feels different than the other ones. For some people, this change may be good; for me, I just kept waiting for it to be done.

To be perfectly honest, I'm also not crazy about the way Atlantis Complex was handled. This is one of the earliest YA/MG examples of mainstream fiction - especially fantasy! - touching on mental health that I can think of. I wish it had been handled with a little less jabbing and more seriousness. ( )
  Morteana | Jan 18, 2019 |
By this point in the series I was pretty much just trying to finish it. I think that the 'Atlantis Complex' was an interesting idea but I personally found it to be somewhat random, like the story line was all over the place. Orion was entertaining, but I found him to be irritating and that overshadowed the good.
Once again there was a great underlying story line that was unveiled slowly.
I think it's like the Matrix, Die Hard, Borne, and Bond movies: after about 3 or 4 it's time to put this to rest.
  AngelaRenea | Jan 12, 2019 |
An outstanding read! My only regret is that there's only one more book in the series. ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
Not the best entry into the series but enjoyable none the less. I particularly liked Orion, the story itself was a bit different to the rest of the series but it was nice to have an all new bad guy rather than retreading old ground. Onto the final book in the series! ( )
  LiteraryReadaholic | Jul 14, 2017 |
It had been a couple of years since I last read any Artemis Fowl books and they seem to have lost their appeal for me. ( )
  brakketh | Sep 28, 2016 |
I suspect that the central joke worked better in synopsis than it plays out in the novel. Orion is funny but I'm not sure that he is funny enough for the trade-off – which requires filling the hole left by Artemis's absence on sick leave. True, it means that other characters, in particular the splendidly feisty Holly Short, are pushed to the fore. On the other hand, Orion is a buffoon, and while you may laugh, you may also, like Holly, feel like hitting him and fervently wish that the real Arty would hurry back.

Eoin Colferprimary authorall editionscalculated
Parker, NathanielNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Ciaran, who will hear many rugby stories.
Vatnajokull is the biggest glacier in Europe with an area of more than five thousand stark blue-white miles.
Angeline Fowl to Artemis: You're a fifteen year old in a bespoke suit and nobody died.
Angeline Fowl: Now, I know you don't really do casual.
Artemis Fowl: That's hardly fair. Last month at that cake sale I rolled up both sleeves.

ARTEMIS FOWL HAS LOST HIS MIND…JUST WHEN THE WORLD NEEDS HIM MOST

Artemis has committed his entire fortune to a project he believes will save the planet and its inhabitants, both human and fairy. Can it be true? Has goodness taken hold of the world’s greatest teenage criminal mastermind?

Captain Holly Short is unconvinced, and discovers that Artemis is suffering from Atlantis Complex, a psychosis common among guilt-ridden fairies—not humans—and most likely triggered by Artemis’s dabbling with fairy magic. Symptoms include obsessive-compulsive behavior, paranoia, multiple personality disorder and, in extreme cases, embarrassing professions of love to a certain feisty LEPrecon fairy.

Unfortunately, Atlantis Complex has struck at the worst possible time. A deadly foe from Holly’s past is intent on destroying the actual city of Atlantis. Can Artemis escape the confines of his mind—and the grips of a giant squid—in time to save the underwater metropolis and its fairy inhabitants?

Teenaged criminal mastermind Artemis Fowl must save the underwater fairy metropolis of Atlantis from danger, while battling a psychological affliction known as the Atlantis Complex.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,470,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible