Complicit by Nicci French

Complicit (2009)

by Nicci French

Dutch (7)  English (6)  All languages (13)
3.5 Stars, would have been 4 stars but just disappointed at the ending so lost half a star for this. Other than that I really enjoyed this book, and some good twists in the book. Interesting as the book alternated from before the murder and after the murder. Do like Nicci French! ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |

I believe this is the last book I got from my aunt, perhaps she didn't really like the books in the end either.

The story starts right in the middle; the main character is in a room with a corpse. But what happened? She can't remember.

I couldn't really get into this story. It felt repetitive to me, and perhaps that's why I didn't like this book. It switches between before and after the murder a lot, and I think there are few authors who can intertwine two different times in a nice and interesting way. Nicci French didn't succeed in doing so, in my opinion. I found this book a bit disappointing. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
The story starts with Bonnie Graham standing in the apartment of a friend. In front of her lies the corpse of her lover. Then the story skips back and forth between the events before the murder and the time immediately afterwards.
In the chapters about the events leading to the murder Bonnie forms a band in order to play at her friends wedding. We learn a lot about the relationship between these characters. Many of them seem to have a motive for the murder or had problems with the victim. The chapters taking part after the murder deal with the same characters, trying to cover and protect each other while not knowing who really committed the crime.
I liked the book, although I sometimes felt the urge to shout at the characters for behaving so stupid. Although I suspected the real murderer quite early in the After chapters, it was fascinating to gain small bits of information in each chapter forming the whole picture at the end. I was a bit disappointed by the motive, though.
Overall, the book is a capturing thriller, focussing on problematic relationships between the main characters. ( )
  Ellemir | Feb 1, 2016 |
I have very much enjoyed all of Nicci French's books, but have the feeling that they are now becoming a bit formulaic. The thriller is as ever well set up, with the lead character found at the start standing over a dead body, and the action unfolding before and after the event, and the writing is smooth and reliable, with the requisite twists and turns throughout. There's nothing at all wrong with it, and it's a good read, but I would love to see the authors branch out into different territory - perhaps a male protagonist? Or a third person narrative? For the first time, I think, they have created a heroine who can't cook (I rather miss the food writing), so perhaps that's a first step...
  otterley | Dec 30, 2010 |
As always , Nicci French serves up a haunting psychological drama of murder and deceit. The novel opens with Bonnie Graham, the main character, staring down at the dead body of a man at a friend's flat. Who killed him? Was it Bonnie? The answer is a many layered puzzle and the novel tells the story moving from "before' and "after'. ( )
  bhowell | Sep 1, 2010 |
Voor Jacob, Marika, Kersti, Claes, Tobias, Torkel en Mattias. Liefs, Nicci en Sean
Ik draaide me om en keek of de deur van het appartement goed dicht was.

Bonnie finds her summer fling boyfriend and fellow band member, Hayden, dead on the floor of a friend's London apartment. She proceeds to hide the corpse and obliterate every sign of her presence at the crime scene. Hayden's well-known involvement with other women could have provided Bonnie a motive for murder. To complicate matters, at least one more person appears to have altered the crime scene.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,764,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible