The Morgaine Saga (Daw Book Collectors) by…

The Morgaine Saga (Daw Book Collectors)

by C. J. Cherryh

Series: Morgaine (omnibus 1-3)

I read this Cherryh is one of my favourite authors and I'm sort of working through her back catalogue.

Given the fantasy styling I was expecting this to be a ponderous, overwrought book, and it lived down to my expectations. That is not to say it is a bad book as such, it is just much, much less than it could have been.

The characters of Morgaine and Vanye are complex and interesting, the societies through which they move, for all the cod-mediaeval styling, are well drawn, but nothing can compensate for two fundamental weaknesses:

1) Each book fundamentally the same epic quest story. While the characters develop, the story never does, and one cannot help feeling that the whole thing is ultimately pointless.
2) This is fundamentally a work of fantasy wrapped in a tissue-thin sf shell. All the tropes are there: The qhal are not aliens, they're just elves with a silly name and the usual attendant cloud of half-breeds; there's is an evil magic sword and each world gate is essentially a Mount Doom franchise.

Also, the way the whole story is casually tacked on to the ass-end of Alliance-Union is an insult to that vastly richer and more rewarding universe.

I don't think I'll be re-reading this one. ( )
  jerevo | May 31, 2018 |
This is the first three books of one of Cherryh's first series. Strictly, it is science fiction, about the aftermath of the collapse of a time-traveling culture. the quahl (which had a rule to only travel forward in time, to avoid disruptions) when someone went back once and set off a cascading collapse. Now what were apparently humans from a modern Bureau of Science has been given the duty of traveling (also only forward)to seal the "gates" by which the quahl traveled. 100 set out, knowing they could not return. Five reach the world of the gate of Ivrel, which had become the source power of a tyrant. He used that power to destroy four of the five and their local allies. The fifth, the woman Morgaine, is driven into a minor local gate and stays there for about 100 years.When she comes out, she gains a local exile as her liegeman, together they close gates on three worlds in three volumes collected here. A fairly subtly handled sexual tension develops between them, which is only released in Book Four (written later and not included here). Though the background is sf, the "feel" is medieval fantasy as that is the cultural level of the people of these world, and they regard the quahl powers as magic. Some bits are clearly influenced by Tolkien, like the visit to Clan Chiya, green-clad bowmen who live in the woods and fight evil creatures, with strong overtones of Tolkien's woodelves and rangers. ( )
  antiquary | Apr 25, 2017 |
I confess this is the 500,000,000 time I have read this book. Its like catching up with old friends. Last month I was rearranging my book shelf and discovered my copy (like the one pictured) was gone. I immediately called the usual suspect. My mother. She claims she did not take, does not have it etc. Nonetheless it was not there nor did it return. I panicked. I mean, Morgaine and Vanye are very dear to me. When I was 15 I wanted to be her. Tall, wear cool armor, have long silver hair and grey eyes. She also has a really awesome horse. Thank the qual for technology and I was able to procure another copy. I literally lost sleep.

Each time I have read this book, I discover more. The story (for me) becomes deeper. Frankly when I was 15 the whole space/time thing went over my head. I get it now. But this/these books have not lost there affect on me. Here I am 44. I still want to be tall, wear cool armor, have long silver hair and grey eyes. And don't forget the horse.

I will read this again. And again. ( )
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
My absolutely favorite fiction trilogy.

Mega-role-reversals for the male and female protagonists---remarkably, underscoring their physical attraction---adding romantic and powerfully-sweet tensions to a plot that will take you for a Worlds-spanning series of adventures...

{ be sure to scroll down to Exile's Gate, the fourth book in the series } ( )
  AMZoltai | Feb 5, 2013 |
I found these books very interesting. I am perplexed why the first three are published together as a set and I had to go looking for the fourth book. Also, the series left so many unanswered questions; I suppose Cherryh meant it that way as the POV character is usually the sidekick of Morgaine who also has unanswered questions and generally does not want to know who she is, where she came from, what kind of magic/technology she possesses, etc. It is enough for him that their duty is extremely important and that he is committed to its service, even to what he believes is the damnation of his soul (because in the culture he comes from her magic, which is likely just advanced technology, is religiously forbidden, and because in service to saving the people of the galaxy they are often called upon to be dispassionate towards people who have been kind and trusting towards them).

The books also begin to drag after a while. You start to feel tired, which is interesting as the characters seem to be tired - always riding horses through hostile territory, always injured, always working, watching, fighting, scheming, always short of sleep and food.

Still, I would have liked more of an ending and more answers about Morgaine and what happened with her and the ancients and her father and the man who made the sword Changeling and how the story ends. I also would like to know how a world in a middling fantasy series from the 70s has the same name as a world in one of the biggest MMORPGs of our time: Azeroth. Was someone a fan? Did the names come from the same source which I can't find? ( )
  firebird8 | Sep 16, 2012 |

C. J. Cherryhprimary authorall editionscalculated
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Gates were the ruin of the qhal. (Gate of Ivrel)
Whoever first built the Gates that led from time to time and space to space surely gained from them no good thing.
The qhal found the first Gate on a dead world of their own sun.
ISBN 0413562905 is for The Chronicles of Morgaine

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0886778778, Mass Market Paperback)

Sword-and-sorcery meets hard sci-fi in C.J. Cherryh's epic story of a woman's mission across time and space to preserve the integrity of the universe.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:03 -0400)

In paperback for the first time is the complete trilogy--an epic story of a woman's mission across time and space to preserve the integrity of the universe. This single volume includes "Gate of Ivrel, " "Well of Shiuan, " and "Fires of Azeroth."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,432,511 books! | Top bar: Always visible