Satan Says by Sharon Olds

Satan Says (1980)

by Sharon Olds

To be fair, I am not a big fan of poetry in general. That said, Sharon Olds has a beautiful way of handling the English Language. Her work always sounds good. You want to read it aloud. Her poetry is often has a dark and has an unpleasant sexuality to it, reflecting (I assume) some bad sexual history in her own life. When it comes to these poems, I feel uncomfortably voyeuristic, reading something personal that I shouldn't know. ( )
  fingerpost | Jun 26, 2010 |
I love this book. Someone gave it to me when I was a freshman in college and first allowing my own poetry to be seen by human eyes. This collection rocked my world and opened my eyes to a whole new world of understanding.
  lorilyn | Jan 14, 2006 |

The first poetry collection from neo-confessional American poet, Sharon Olds.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0822953145, Paperback)

Commenting on Sharon Olds' debut, Linda Pastan wrote that Olds was "clearly a poet to be reckoned with." No kidding. Olds has gone on to create an impressively bold body of work. Notice here "The Language of the Brag," in which Olds describes the heroic deed of childbirth: "I have done what you wanted to do Walt Whitman/ . . . this glistening verb,/and I am putting my proud American boast/ right here with the others." Amen.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:08 -0400)

This selection of poetry reflects an exciting experimentation with rhythm and language and a movement towards an embrace beyond the personal, revisiting subjects such as the pain of childhood, adolescent sexual stirrings, the fulfilment of marriage and the wonder of children.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,199,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible