For the Win by Cory Doctorow

For the Win (edition 2010)

by Cory Doctorow

Member:Johannes.Roth
Title:For the Win
Authors:Cory Doctorow
Info:Tor Teen (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 480 pages

For the Win by Cory Doctorow (Author)

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (jshrop)
    Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow (jshrop)
    Reamde by Neal Stephenson (kjforrest)
    kjforrest: Both books cover gaming, gold farming and economics in an interesting way. For The Win is much shorter and a better read, but Reamde is good too.
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (simon_carr)
    The Jungle by Upton Sinclair (weener)
    weener: For the Win is kind of like a modern-day version of the Jungle: a heavy-handed, painful, yet readable book about labor rights.

English (55)  French (2)  All languages (57)
Another great book from Cory ( )
  troyka | May 5, 2016 |
Can't decide between four and five stars.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
Interesting viewpoints and insight into the world today. Network enabled, rising economies, worker exploitation, worker rights, and the human story behind all of these themes. Gaming might be the context but the story has deeper themes that reach across many "borders". An enjoyable read with many layers. Doctorow is plugged into current technology and spins a very good story. Very engaging to the end. ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
Tried this a couple of times to no avail. Lots of characters whose motivations I cannot understand and cannot tell apart and the story is murky at best. Seems to be about some kind of trade union for games players or something but pretty unclear to me. Just can't get on with this, it's going in my 'donate' pile. ( )
  simon_carr | Dec 31, 2015 |
I honestly expected more. 34 year old male. I had just read Ready player one though.. hard to compete with. I still liked Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson a bit better. I look back on this one with fond memories though, I remember that I was dissatisfied while reading it. ( )
  Lebowski4 | May 28, 2015 |
Once again Doctorow has taken denigrated youth behavior (this time, gaming) and recast it into something heroic.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Daniel Kraus

For Poesy:

Live as though it were the early days of a better nation.
In the game, Matthew's characters killed monsters, as they did every single night. But tonight, as Matthew thoughtfully chopsticked a dumpling out of a styrofoam clamshell, dipped it in the red hot sauce and popped it into his mouth, his little squadron did something extraordinary: they began to win.

A group of teens from around the world find themselves drawn into an online revolution arranged by a mysterious young woman known as Big Sister Nor, who hopes to challenge the status quo and change the world using her virtual connections.

66 wanted2 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,719,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible