Live From New York: An Uncensored History of…

Live From New York: An Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live, as Told… (2002)

by Tom Shales, James Andrew Miller

I'm a huge Saturday Night Live fan, not quite yet a "buff" in the history of the show but I'm well on my way. This book is a good companion to the hardcore fan but maybe not to the casual viewer. I certainly enjoyed it from start to finish. One thing became clear after watching it - everyone hates Chevy Chase. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
So far I'm not all that impressed by this. Their transitions between quotes leaves a lot to be desired, and if they actually had the people reading their quotes it would be much interesting. So far I've learned that the 1st five years was a big stoned, cracked out, drunken slumber party...

UPDATE: I wasn't impressed with this. I found somethings were interesting, there were people who were on the show or who were writers (conan o'brien!) that I didn't know were involved.

I gave up about halfway through the last cd. If you need something to listen to as you are driving, it's not so bad. ( )
  pam.enser | Apr 1, 2013 |
Fun. ( )
  kgib | Mar 31, 2013 |
Very interesting. A history of SNL told from the viewpoint of many involved. Not everyone, as some have passed, and some (Eddie Murphy) must not have wanted to be involved. Neat to peak behind the scenes of an iconic show. ( )
  bookwormteri | Mar 8, 2012 |
Decent review of SNL from the beginning through 2002 -- pleasure book and a quick read. ( )
  fyi715 | Jan 5, 2012 |

Shales, Tomprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Miller, James Andrewmain authorall editionsconfirmed
QUIS SUPERABIT? Who Shall Excel them?

Opening frames. the Charge of the Light Brigade,
Warner Bros., 1936
With undying love to my children, Zachary, Sophie, and Chloe. --J.A.M.

To John Carmody - distinguished colleague, irreplaceable friend. --T.S.
ROSIE SHUSTER, Writer: Lorne Michaels arrived in my life before puberty, let's put it that way.

The "New York Times" bestselling oral history of "Saturday Night Live" that finally reveals what really went on backstage, on the set, in the writers' offices and on the town is now in paperback.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:00 -0400)

"When a young writer named Lorne Michaels talked NBC executives into taking a chance on a new weekend late-night comedy series, nobody really knew what to expect - not even Michaels. But Saturday Night Live, launched in 1975 and still thriving today, would change the face of television. It introduced brash new stars with names like Belushi, Radner, Chase, and Murray; trashed taboos that had inhibited TV for decades; and had such an impact on American life, laughter, and politics that even presidents of the United States had to take notice.". "Now, Tom Shales and author James Andrew Miller bring together stars, writers, guest hosts, contributors, and craftsmen for the first-ever oral history of Saturday Night Live, from 1974, when it was just an idea, through 2002, when it has long since become an institution. In their own words, dozens of personalities recall the backstage stories, behind-the-scenes gossip, feuds, foibles, drugs, sex, struggles, and calamities, including personal details never before revealed. Shales and Miller have interviewed a galaxy of stars, including Mike Myers, Chris Rock, Bill Murray, Tom Hanks, Adam Sandler, Chevy Chase, Will Ferrell, Dan Aykroyd, Steve Martin, Jon Lovitz, Jane Curtin, Billy Crystal, Martin Short, Dana Carvey, Tina Fey, Jimmy Fallon, Chris Kattan, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Garrett Morris, Molly Shannon, Damon Wayans, Chris Elliott, Julia Sweeney, Norm Macdonald, and Paul Simon - plus writers like Al Franken, Conan O'Brien, Larry David, Rosie Shuster, Jack Handey, Robert Smigel, Don Novello, and others who got their big breaks as part of the SNL team."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,716,674 books! | Top bar: Always visible