Blue Lightning by Ann Cleeves

Blue Lightning (2010)

by Ann Cleeves

Series: Shetland (4)

Recently added byMonika74, rowenah, private library, Tbird72, reeread, Baochuan, Kimaoverstreet, krv64

English (34)  Dutch (3)  All languages (37)
How to evaluate a mystery novel. Presentation of place, Shetland islands specifically the Fair isle, good. Plot good, the person who did it isn't obvious and the resolution is satisfying. The believability fair, I thought most birdwatchers were benign perhaps a little eccentric not the prickly bunch portrayed in the book. A good book nevertheless. ( )
  charlie68 | Feb 4, 2019 |
Brilliant thriller. Few suspects all trapped in this windswept isolated island. Secrets gradually become exposed, suspects come and go. The ending, shocking and powerful. Left me bruised. ( )
  Robert3167 | Jan 28, 2019 |
Wonderful and heartbreaking. I love following Jimmy Perez as he solves these mysteries, but even more I love the folks that surround him. Ann Cleeves description of place really takes you there. I look forward to seeing where this fabulous character goes from here. I really feel for him. A great series and well worth tracking down to read in order. ( )
  njcur | Dec 26, 2018 |
All was going along nicely until: What? Seriously? Aaaagh! ( )
  Siubhan | Feb 28, 2018 |
Poor Jimmy Perez can't even travel home to introduce his fiance to his parents without someone gets murdered and since he is the only cop there, and it's bad weather and no one can get there and no one can get off the island, he has the solve the murder. A bit like Midsomer Murders, on an island, with a lot of suspects. And, of course, with a lot of suspects with motives.

Was I surprised how good this book was? Hell yes, the previous three books can't compare to how intense this book was, or perhaps it all has to do how surprising the ending was. Anyway. I felt that I needed a decent crime novel to read and since I have somehow missed reading this one, I thought, "why not". I didn't think that I would get sucked into the story and spend a good part of Saturday reading it. I like Jimmy Perez, I like that he is a bit old fashioned that he is thoughtful. He gets the job done. But this time, well it's a tough case for him.

It was a really good crime novel and I can't wait to read the next one! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
For my wise, funny and indomitable daughters
Fran sat with her eyes closed.

Inspector Jimmy Perez takes his fiancé home to Fair Isle, the tiny island he comes from, to meet his parents. The island is a magnet for bird watchers, who congregate at the local inn and lighthouse. When a local married celebrity, who had an eye for the lads, is murdered, Perez discovers that the suspects are very close to him indeed. With a sensational ending destined to create much buzz in the mystery world, Blue Lightning will thrill suspense fans everywhere.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:46 -0400)

In this fourth Shetland Islands book, Detective Inspector Jimmy Perez brings his fiancée home to Fair Isle. But when a body is found at the island's bird observatory and a terrible storm cuts Fair Isle off from the rest of the world, Perez must solve the murder quickly before the killer strikes again.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,627,533 books! | Top bar: Always visible