Blue lightning by Ann Cleeves

Blue lightning (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Ann Cleeves

Member:tymfos
Title:Blue lightning
Authors:Ann Cleeves
Info:London : Macmillan, 2010
Collections:Read and recycled
Tags:Shetland Series #4, mystery, fiction, thriller

Blue Lightning by Ann Cleeves (2010)

English (17)  Dutch (4)  All languages (21)
BLUE LIGHTNING by Ann Cleeves is the 4th title in her SHETLAND series.
Detective Inspector Jimmy Perez is visiting his home island of Fair Isle with his finance, Fran Hunter. When a murder occurs at the Field Center after Jimmy and Fran’s engagement party, Jimmy must take charge of the investigation.
Fair Isle seems to be a mecca for twitchers (bird-watchers) and the Field Center is where collecting, banding and identifying different bird species takes place. The Field Center also offers some accommodations for twitchers and the Center staff. Bird-watchers ‘flock’ here in the hopes of observing bird species and discovering a new species to add to their ‘lifelist’.
Two women from the Field Center wind up being murdered and Fran wants to help Jimmy with the investigation - with dire consequences.
Adjectives describing BLUE LIGHTNING include: atmospheric; subtle; intensely suspenseful; incredible domestic detail and many-layered characters.
I want to keep reading and dissecting the characters layer by layer in order to see the secrets being peeled away.
One of the more interesting details of the book was Jimmy confronting his father, James, about a suspected infidelity and how this tied in with one of the murders.
The plot, the writing, the mystery - superb. I had trouble taking a break from reading.
The human characters, however, are almost incidental to the Shetland Islands and the birds that live and visit there.
This is an extremely interesting and detailed book on all levels. ( )
  diana.hauser | Jan 30, 2015 |
Poor Jimmy Perez can't even travel home to introduce his fiance to his parents without someone gets murdered and since he is the only cop there, and it's bad weather and no one can get there and no one can get off the island, he has the solve the murder. A bit like Midsomer Murders, on a island, with a lot of suspects. And, of course, with a lot of suspects with motives.

Was I surprised how good this book was? Hell yes, the previous three books can't compare to how intense this book was, or perhaps it all has to do how surprising the ending was. Anyway. I felt that I needed a decent crime novel to read and since I have somehow missed reading this one, I thought, "why not". I didn't think that I would get sucked into the story and spend a good part of Saturday reading it. I like Jimmy Perez, I like that he is a bit old fashioned that he is thoughtful. He gets the job done. But this time, well it's a thought case for him.

It was a really good crime novel and I can't wait to read the next one!

4 stars

Review also posted on And Now for Something Completely Different and It's a Mad Mad World ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 11, 2014 |
This was the fourth of the Shetland Island mysteries for me and by far my least favorite. Perhaps due to the subject matter -- I discovered I don't really care anything about birders. Not sure I'll read her next installment. ( )
  CLStern | May 5, 2014 |
*** Spoiler Alert ***

It evokes the small Shetland island life very well with also the bird watchers covered. The ending punches hard and it can't be said that Detective Jimmy Perez comes through unscathed. It'll be interesting to see if there is more in the series. ( )
  jerhogan | Jul 12, 2013 |
Anyone who's read my reviews of the last three won't need to read this one - loved it again. Dark, a 'country house' limited range of suspects plot, claustrophobic, with a shocking ending. I now have to resist the next one till it's out in paperback. It's going to be hard. ( )
  lexieconyngham | Jul 1, 2013 |

Inspector Jimmy Perez takes his fiancé home to Fair Isle, the tiny island he comes from, to meet his parents. The island is a magnet for bird watchers, who congregate at the local inn and lighthouse. When a local married celebrity, who had an eye for the lads, is murdered, Perez discovers that the suspects are very close to him indeed. With a sensational ending destined to create much buzz in the mystery world, Blue Lightning will thrill suspense fans everywhere.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:41 -0400)

In this fourth Shetland Islands book, Detective Inspector Jimmy Perez brings his fiance home to Fair Isle. But when a body is found at the island's bird observatory and a terrible storm cuts Fair Isle off from the rest of the world, Perez must solve the murder quickly before the killer strikes again.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,720,012 books! | Top bar: Always visible