Blue lightning by Ann Cleeves

Blue lightning (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Ann Cleeves

Series: Shetland (4)

Member:tymfos
Title:Blue lightning
Authors:Ann Cleeves
Info:London : Macmillan, 2010
Collections:Read and recycled
Tags:Shetland Series #4, mystery, fiction, thriller

Blue Lightning by Ann Cleeves (2010)

English (27)  Dutch (4)  All (31)
Poor Jimmy Perez can't even travel home to introduce his fiance to his parents without someone gets murdered and since he is the only cop there, and it's bad weather and no one can get there and no one can get off the island, he has the solve the murder. A bit like Midsomer Murders, on an island, with a lot of suspects. And, of course, with a lot of suspects with motives.

Was I surprised how good this book was? Hell yes, the previous three books can't compare to how intense this book was, or perhaps it all has to do how surprising the ending was. Anyway. I felt that I needed a decent crime novel to read and since I have somehow missed reading this one, I thought, "why not". I didn't think that I would get sucked into the story and spend a good part of Saturday reading it. I like Jimmy Perez, I like that he is a bit old fashioned that he is thoughtful. He gets the job done. But this time, well it's a thought case for him.

It was a really good crime novel and I can't wait to read the next one! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
In Blue Lightning Jimmy Perez, now engaged to Fran, the woman he met in Cleeves's first book Raven Black, takes her home to meet his parents. He's not looking forward to the trip because he doesn't get along with his father and home is a smidgen of an island called Fair Isle. When Jimmy was younger he couldn't wait to move away and escape the trappings of parental expectations. True to form, murder follows Jimmy & Fran (she found the murder victims in Raven Black). Thanks to terrible storms prohibiting people from coming to or leaving the island they are forced, along with Jimmy's partner, Sandy, to solve the crime without help from the mainland. Things go from bad to worse when there is a second murder, and shockingly, a third. This time the murder centers around birds as the killer has woven bird feathers though the first victim's hair & strewn feathers over the second victim's body.

For the most part I enjoyed this fourth book in the Jimmy Perez series. It isn't necessary to read the other three to understand or enjoy Blue Lightning. My only complaint? After the second death I knew when the third victim would die. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Mar 30, 2017 |
Shetland Detective Inspector Jimmy Perez and his fiancee, Fran, are spending a few days on the remote island of Fair Isle. Before their marriage, Fran needs to meet his family and friends and see where Jimmy was raised. Even though he no longer lives on Fair Isle, it's still a part of him. The morning after their engagement party at the island's bird observatory, Jimmy receives a call from the observatory. There's been a murder. As the only police officer present on the island, and with stormy weather cutting the island off from outside access, Perez must investigate this one on his own. The suspects are limited to the small observatory staff and the few guests at the facility. He's unable to solve the case quickly enough to prevent another murder.

This is a locked room mystery on a couple of levels. The first murder takes place inside a locked building, and this limits the number of suspects. The murderer is also trapped on the island, as neither boats nor the small plane that services the island can get in or out until the storm passes. If this sounds like an Agatha Christie novel to readers, it felt like one to the characters, as at least one acknowledged! The crime plot isn't executed as well as the plots of the previous books in the series. Perez's parents and fiancee distract him from giving his full attention to crime solving, and the consequences are disastrous. The vivid Shetland Island setting is still the most appealing feature of this series, and I'll continue to read it just for that experience. ( )
  cbl_tn | Nov 11, 2016 |
This is a classical "locked room" mystery with a twist, well written with a more up beat pace to it than in her earlier books in the series. The characterisation is again well rounded and there is a good sense of place. Overall a good if undemanding read. 1 July 2016 ( )
  alanca | Jul 4, 2016 |
From Amazon:

In the fourth book of Ann Cleeves' critically acclaimed series set in the Shetland Islands, Detective Inspector Jimmy Perez brings his fiancée home to Fair Isle, a birder's paradise, where strangers are viewed with suspicions and distrust. When a woman's body is discovered at the island's bird observatory, the investigation is hampered by a raging storm that renders the island totally isolated. Jimmy has to find clues the old-fashioned way, and he has to do it quickly. There's a killer on the island just waiting for the chance to strike again.

My Thoughts:

Ann Cleeve's books featuring Inspector Jimmy Perez and taking place on the isolated Shetland Islands in the far northwest edge of Scotland, are always a delight from start to finish. This one was no exception....until... I won't say why it lost a star for me because it certainly had nothing to do with the plot of the story of the writing ability of the writer...lets just say it was personal. It was not only hugely disappointing but completely unnecessary. As we know time heals all wounds and this will also pass and I will continue reading and recommending the series. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
For my wise, funny and indomitable daughters
Fran sat with her eyes closed.

Inspector Jimmy Perez takes his fiancé home to Fair Isle, the tiny island he comes from, to meet his parents. The island is a magnet for bird watchers, who congregate at the local inn and lighthouse. When a local married celebrity, who had an eye for the lads, is murdered, Perez discovers that the suspects are very close to him indeed. With a sensational ending destined to create much buzz in the mystery world, Blue Lightning will thrill suspense fans everywhere.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:46 -0400)

In this fourth Shetland Islands book, Detective Inspector Jimmy Perez brings his fiance home to Fair Isle. But when a body is found at the island's bird observatory and a terrible storm cuts Fair Isle off from the rest of the world, Perez must solve the murder quickly before the killer strikes again.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,354,440 books! | Top bar: Always visible