Blue lightning by Ann Cleeves

Blue lightning (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Ann Cleeves

Series: Shetland (4)

Member:tymfos
Title:Blue lightning
Authors:Ann Cleeves
Info:London : Macmillan, 2010
Collections:Read and recycled
Tags:Shetland Series #4, mystery, fiction, thriller

Blue Lightning by Ann Cleeves (2010)

English (25)  Dutch (3)  All languages (28)
This is a classical "locked room" mystery with a twist, well written with a more up beat pace to it than in her earlier books in the series. The characterisation is again well rounded and there is a good sense of place. Overall a good if undemanding read. 1 July 2016 ( )
  alanca | Jul 4, 2016 |
From Amazon:

In the fourth book of Ann Cleeves' critically acclaimed series set in the Shetland Islands, Detective Inspector Jimmy Perez brings his fiancée home to Fair Isle, a birder's paradise, where strangers are viewed with suspicions and distrust. When a woman's body is discovered at the island's bird observatory, the investigation is hampered by a raging storm that renders the island totally isolated. Jimmy has to find clues the old-fashioned way, and he has to do it quickly. There's a killer on the island just waiting for the chance to strike again.

My Thoughts:

Ann Cleeve's books featuring Inspector Jimmy Perez and taking place on the isolated Shetland Islands in the far northwest edge of Scotland, are always a delight from start to finish. This one was no exception....until... I won't say why it lost a star for me because it certainly had nothing to do with the plot of the story of the writing ability of the writer...lets just say it was personal. It was not only hugely disappointing but completely unnecessary. As we know time heals all wounds and this will also pass and I will continue reading and recommending the series. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Poor Jimmy Perez can't even travel home to introduce his fiance to his parents without someone gets murdered and since he is the only cop there, and it's bad weather and no one can get there and no one can get off the island, he has the solve the murder. A bit like Midsomer Murders, on an island, with a lot of suspects. And, of course, with a lot of suspects with motives.

Was I surprised how good this book was? Hell yes, the previous three books can't compare to how intense this book was, or perhaps it all has to do how surprising the ending was. Anyway. I felt that I needed a decent crime novel to read and since I have somehow missed reading this one, I thought, "why not". I didn't think that I would get sucked into the story and spend a good part of Saturday reading it. I like Jimmy Perez, I like that he is a bit old fashioned that he is thoughtful. He gets the job done. But this time, well it's a thought case for him.

It was a really good crime novel and I can't wait to read the next one! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Feb 9, 2016 |

It was a really good crime novel and I can't wait to read the next one! ( )
  | Feb 9, 2016 | edit |
Blue Lightning is a fairly standard locked room mystery, set on Fair Isle during and after a storm that cuts the island off from the nearest major city. It's the fourth book in the Shetland/Jimmy Perez series. I wonder whether I should have started with book 1, because I couldn't get a handle on who Jimmy is as a person or detective, and maybe the previous three books would have helped with that. It was okay, as crime novels go. I was expecting more. I like the tv adaptation, which included this book in the second series. The tv version has many differences, though, which also affected the way I read the book. The writing is good, the progression of the story makes sense, but there was nothing in it that really grabbed me. I might borrow another in the series from the library, see if I warm to it a bit more, I might not. ( )
  missizicks | Feb 8, 2016 |

Inspector Jimmy Perez takes his fiancé home to Fair Isle, the tiny island he comes from, to meet his parents. The island is a magnet for bird watchers, who congregate at the local inn and lighthouse. When a local married celebrity, who had an eye for the lads, is murdered, Perez discovers that the suspects are very close to him indeed. With a sensational ending destined to create much buzz in the mystery world, Blue Lightning will thrill suspense fans everywhere.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:46 -0400)

In this fourth Shetland Islands book, Detective Inspector Jimmy Perez brings his fiance home to Fair Isle. But when a body is found at the island's bird observatory and a terrible storm cuts Fair Isle off from the rest of the world, Perez must solve the murder quickly before the killer strikes again.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,361,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible