Blue lightning by Ann Cleeves

Blue lightning (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Ann Cleeves

Series: Shetland (4)

Member:tymfos
Title:Blue lightning
Authors:Ann Cleeves
Info:London : Macmillan, 2010
Collections:Read and recycled
Tags:Shetland Series #4, mystery, fiction, thriller

Blue Lightning by Ann Cleeves (2010)

English (23)  Dutch (3)  All languages (26)
Poor Jimmy Perez can't even travel home to introduce his fiance to his parents without someone gets murdered and since he is the only cop there, and it's bad weather and no one can get there and no one can get off the island, he has the solve the murder. A bit like Midsomer Murders, on an island, with a lot of suspects. And, of course, with a lot of suspects with motives.

Was I surprised how good this book was? Hell yes, the previous three books can't compare to how intense this book was, or perhaps it all has to do how surprising the ending was. Anyway. I felt that I needed a decent crime novel to read and since I have somehow missed reading this one, I thought, "why not". I didn't think that I would get sucked into the story and spend a good part of Saturday reading it. I like Jimmy Perez, I like that he is a bit old fashioned that he is thoughtful. He gets the job done. But this time, well it's a thought case for him.

It was a really good crime novel and I can't wait to read the next one! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Feb 9, 2016 |

It was a really good crime novel and I can't wait to read the next one! ( )
  | Feb 9, 2016 | edit |
Blue Lightning is a fairly standard locked room mystery, set on Fair Isle during and after a storm that cuts the island off from the nearest major city. It's the fourth book in the Shetland/Jimmy Perez series. I wonder whether I should have started with book 1, because I couldn't get a handle on who Jimmy is as a person or detective, and maybe the previous three books would have helped with that. It was okay, as crime novels go. I was expecting more. I like the tv adaptation, which included this book in the second series. The tv version has many differences, though, which also affected the way I read the book. The writing is good, the progression of the story makes sense, but there was nothing in it that really grabbed me. I might borrow another in the series from the library, see if I warm to it a bit more, I might not. ( )
  missizicks | Feb 8, 2016 |
This 4th installment of Ann Cleeves Shetland Island series takes place on Fair Isle home of the Perez family. I loved the smallness of the island and the dreary, rainy weather is the perfect atmosphere for murder. Cleeves plots out the murders with expertise without giving much away about who's doing the killings until the very end. The ending is so shocking, you have to go back and read it again to make sure you read it right. I love authors who take chances with their characters and do the unexpected. I'm now looking forward to reading the next book in the series just to see how this plays out in the future novels. Great job, Ann, for shocking us all! ( )
  eadieburke | Jan 19, 2016 |
Blue Lightning is the fourth book in Ann Cleeves' series of crime novels set in the Shetland Islands. Detective Jimmy Perez arrives on Fair Isle, where he was born, to introduce Fran Hunter, his English fiancee, to his parents. After their engagement party at a local bird observatory, Angela Moore is found murdered, with feathers entwined in her hair. The victim was at the center of a tangle of lust and jealousy among a small group staying there for the bird migration season. Suspects include an angry teenage step-daughter, a jilted lover, and a cook whose has just been fired from her job. Soon there is another murder.

Meanwhile, Jimmy is discovering his parents' past and Fran, wanting to become involved in the community for Jimmy's sake, becomes deeply involved. Jimmy starts to wonder if Angela's sexual game- playing is the motive for her murder. If so, why was the second person killed? Jimmy Perez is a much deeper character than the usual detective, struggling with the puritanism of his upbringing as he also tries to work out the logistics of murder without any police back-up, and seems tormented by doubts.

This is the darkest of Ann Cleeves' absorbing and atmospheric series. Cleeves is excellent, not just on the mystery, but on the atmosphere of Fair Isle. She does provide a couple of brutal twists that will have deep emotional impact and leave the reader surprised she had the nerve to perform them. I can't wait to see what the author has for us in Dead Water, the fifth book of the series.
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |

Inspector Jimmy Perez takes his fiancé home to Fair Isle, the tiny island he comes from, to meet his parents. The island is a magnet for bird watchers, who congregate at the local inn and lighthouse. When a local married celebrity, who had an eye for the lads, is murdered, Perez discovers that the suspects are very close to him indeed. With a sensational ending destined to create much buzz in the mystery world, Blue Lightning will thrill suspense fans everywhere.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:46 -0400)

In this fourth Shetland Islands book, Detective Inspector Jimmy Perez brings his fiance home to Fair Isle. But when a body is found at the island's bird observatory and a terrible storm cuts Fair Isle off from the rest of the world, Perez must solve the murder quickly before the killer strikes again.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 6 books! | Top bar: Always visible