Blue lightning by Ann Cleeves

Blue lightning (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Ann Cleeves

3131935,548 (3.89)61
Member:tymfos
Title:Blue lightning
Authors:Ann Cleeves
Info:London : Macmillan, 2010
Collections:Read and recycled
Tags:Shetland Series #4, mystery, fiction, thriller

Blue Lightning by Ann Cleeves (2010)

English (15)  Dutch (4)  All languages (19)
This was the fourth of the Shetland Island mysteries for me and by far my least favorite. Perhaps due to the subject matter -- I discovered I don't really care anything about birders. Not sure I'll read her next installment. ( )
  CLStern | May 5, 2014 |
*** Spoiler Alert ***

It evokes the small Shetland island life very well with also the bird watchers covered. The ending punches hard and it can't be said that Detective Jimmy Perez comes through unscathed. It'll be interesting to see if there is more in the series. ( )
  jerhogan | Jul 12, 2013 |
Anyone who's read my reviews of the last three won't need to read this one - loved it again. Dark, a 'country house' limited range of suspects plot, claustrophobic, with a shocking ending. I now have to resist the next one till it's out in paperback. It's going to be hard. ( )
  lexieconyngham | Jul 1, 2013 |
Jimmy Perez brings home his fiancee to meet his parents but soon finds himself investigating the death of the bird center's most well-known scientist. She's found with a knife in her back. With bad weather which prevents bringing in additional help from Inverness, his fiancee assists him in photographing the crime scene although he tries to keep her as far removed from the investigation as possible. The murderer had to be one of the persons staying at the center. Which one was it?

Fair Isle is the setting for this fourth installment of the Shetland Island series. It's well plotted with small clues that may bypass some readers throughout the novel. In fact, I found myself trying to remember which character was the one to do a certain thing as I got later in the novel. There are plenty of suspects with various motives. Perez even has to investigate members of his own family in the course of the case. There are some events that took place in the course of this novel that this reader would have preferred not have taken place, but they didn't mar my enjoyment of it. In fact, they were necessary to the plot. Although this was supposed to be a quartet, the ending leaves one wondering if the author may have left it open for additional installments in the future. I, for one, would definitely pick up a fifth in the series. ( )
  thornton37814 | Jan 26, 2013 |
Shetland Detective Jimmy Perez knows it will be a difficult homecoming when he returns to the Fair Isles to introduce his fiancée, Fran, to his parents. When a woman's body is discovered at the renowned Fair Isles bird observatory, Jimmy must investigate the old-fashioned way. Summary BPL

I'm not sure where this belongs in the Shetland Island Quartet; obviously you don't need to read the others to enjoy this story. Blue Lightning has a lighthouse, birdwatchers, north-north Scotland scenery and an unsolved crime: sound good? Ruling out the option of forensic technology makes for a different, more human inquiry.

7.5 out of 10. For the usual suspects: fans of crime fiction, rural lifestyles, Scotland.... ( )
  julie10reads | Jun 16, 2012 |
Information from the Norwegian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Inspector Jimmy Perez takes his fiancé home to Fair Isle, the tiny island he comes from, to meet his parents. The island is a magnet for bird watchers, who congregate at the local inn and lighthouse. When a local married celebrity, who had an eye for the lads, is murdered, Perez discovers that the suspects are very close to him indeed. With a sensational ending destined to create much buzz in the mystery world, Blue Lightning will thrill suspense fans everywhere.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:41 -0400)

When a woman's body is discovered at the renowned Fair Isle's bird observatory, with feathers threaded through her hair, the islanders react with fear and anger. With no support from the mainland and only his fiance to help him, Shetland Detective Jimmy Perez soon realizes that this is no crime of passion--but a murder of cold and calculated intention.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,124,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible