dismiss

The Abortion: An Historical Romance 1966 by…

The Abortion: An Historical Romance 1966 (original 1970; edition 1978)

by Richard brautigan

A reclusive young man works in a San Francisco library for unpublishable books. Life's losers, an astonishing number of whom seem to be writers, can bring their manuscripts to the library, where they will be welcomed, registered and shelved. They will not be read, but they will be cherished. In comes Vida, with her manuscript. Her book is about her gorgeous body, in which she feels uncomfortable. The librarian makes her feel comfortable, and together they live in the back of the library until the trip to Tijuana changes them in ways neither of them had ever expected.… (more)
Member:Grey_Coopre
Title:The Abortion: An Historical Romance 1966
Authors:Richard brautigan
Info:Pocket (1978), Paperback

The Abortion by Richard Brautigan (1970)

English (12)  German (1)  All languages (13)
I wanted to like this book after hearing about it on the This American Life episode on libraries. The library described as being open 24 hours a day and allowing any submission of unpublished book being an interesting concept. However, this is a novel about an abortion from the perspective of a man where the female involved is so not flushed out that all we know about her is that she has a Barbie-esque body, with breasts that don't move. Her beauty is so great that there is risk of accident because people stare at her. This is like the fantasy of an adult male who lives in his mother's basement. No thank you. ( )
  LivingReflections | Dec 3, 2019 |
I'd heard good things about this author, but frankly I'm not really seeing what the hype's about. I read this book because it centers on a peculiar library. The story itself has no real plot, but is mostly a blow-by-blow of the day they go to Mexico for an abortion.

The main problem of the female protagonist is that she'e too beautiful. Don't you just hate having that problem? While she was impossible to sympathize with, the male lead was at least interesting for his odd commitment to a library job in which he was never paid, had to be open 24/7 (hence it had been years since he'd left the building), and which accepted only unpublished books that were hand-delivered to the library, placed on the shelf and never read. Odd, but intriguing. ( )
  dono421846 | Jan 21, 2019 |
A gentle story despite the title. ( )
  unclebob53703 | Feb 16, 2016 |
A metaphor. An abortion. It helped us let go. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
1970. A great book with some real flaws. I love Brautigan's style. It's absurd and bizarre. His descriptions are original and exciting. The library in this book is no ordinary public library, but I don't want to give too much away. It's set in San Francisco and even though they hardly go anywhere the ineffable California sixties feel is there. I wondered if Brautigan did a lot of LSD to come up with this shit. It does not involve drugs or hippies, but drugs and hippies exist in its world without needing to be mentioned. The major flaw is part of the premise which is that the female character, Vida, is so beautiful that she causes men to have accidents everywhere she goes. Vida is miserable, from being constantly sexually harassed; and she hates her body. Somehow, mysteriously, sleeping with the protagonist seems to cure her of hating her body. I didn't feel any clear character development though. It was as if Brautigan was saying all she needed was a really good fuck. Which was lame. However the prose and humor and strangeness kept me happily reading along, through rampant sexism and a few mild racist remarks. Has a very pro-choice outlook at a time when abortion was still illegal in the US and they have to travel to Tiajuana to get one. "Trout Fishing in America" is just as awesome with none of the flaws so read that first. ( )
2 vote kylekatz | Aug 28, 2013 |

in front room.
I'll be back
in about 2 hours.
Richard
This is a beautiful library, timed perfectly, lush and American.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,642,860 books! | Top bar: Always visible