A Little Wanting Song by Cath Crowley

A Little Wanting Song

by Cath Crowley

Recently added byMABoone, Glire, ChickensAreBrave, mylifeinverse, stephanie.dicesare.7, private library

I really liked this book. Charlie is a musician with talent who is too shy to show it and Rose is the girl who wants to leave town. It is interesting to me how Rose didn't like Charlie but then began to like her. I have not read many books that are so emotional and it was a bit of a nice change from what I usually read. ( )
  ChickensAreBrave | Jul 6, 2014 |
Wait a little longer

If you wait a little longer
I’ll be getting closer soon
I’m really very close
Got some things to say
And you’ll be hearing from me soon
I’m not that far away
I’m writing almost-love-songs
That I’ll be singing to you soon
They’re really close to ready
  Soplada | Feb 27, 2014 |
3.5 stars ( )
  bonniemarjorie | May 7, 2013 |
Very, very nice. The characters and situations were made very real and I was very absorbed into their lives and emotions. This is among the best coming-of-age novels I've read. As with the others of the genre that I've liked a lot, it's more the writing of the characters than it is the story, I think, that really makes it what it is. If this stays with me long enough I may have to come back and add the fifth star. I'm looking forward to Graffiti Moon. ( )
  Yona | May 2, 2013 |
“We were the only three people awake in a world half asleep and the air felt heavy with maybe.”

The Aussies hit it out of the park again. Seriously, I’m beginning to wonder if there is something in the water down under that allows them to produce amazing YA lit. (or maybe all of it is put through a strainer and only the best of the best is published in the US—either way, I haven’t read a bad Aussie YA book yet) And I can’t wait to get my grubby hands on [b:Graffiti Moon|7863274|Graffiti Moon|Cath Crowley|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1279318277s/7863274.jpg|11018320].

Charlotte (Charlie) Duskin has been going to stay in her grandparents’ town every summer since she was young. Though she lost her mother several years earlier, her grandmother recently passed away and her father and grandfather are still mourning their losses. Charlie always saw Rose, Dave, and Luke playing around town but was never a part of their fun. Before she left the city for the summer, she had a huge fight with her best friend and was embarrassed in front of tons of her peers. She’s looking for an escape.

Rose Butler feels stuck. She’s lived in the same small town forever and, though she loves her family and her two best friends, she wants to go to school in the city. After taking an entry exam and winning a scholarship, her summer plan is to befriend Charlie Duskin and then return to stay with her family so she can attend the school. Only no one knows about Rose’s plan…and there’s that lovely hump of an entire childhood of being a total jerk to get over.

This author takes several of my pet peeves and then serves them back to me on a silver platter. And they tasted like enchiladas….mmm, enchiladas. We’ve got shifting narrators—usually, this is a major buzzkill for me but I smiled over and over when the author replayed the same conversation from the other side. And a musical theme—I usually tire of that after a chapter or two. I get it, you like the GD guitar. Here, it was endearing. Charlie’s personality and the song lyrics (which are interspersed in the text) are just lovely. I especially loved her snark—“tell anyone who doesn’t like it to shove it up their arse.”

When it comes down to it, this book is between 4 and 5 stars for me but I'm feeling especially happy after reading it so BAM! 5 stars it is.

Thanks to Nic for running the Aussie YA Challenge and introducing me to all kinds of awesomeness. And thanks to Jess, for picking it as my TBR Challenge read!
  FlanneryAC | Mar 31, 2013 |

A summer of friendship, romance, and songs in major chords. . . .

CHARLIE DUSKIN loves music, and she knows she's good at it. But she only sings when she's alone, on the moonlit porch or in the back room at Old Gus's Secondhand Record and CD Store. Charlie's mom and grandmother have both died, and this summer she's visiting her grandpa in the country, surrounded by ghosts and grieving family, and serving burgers to the local kids at the milk bar. She's got her iPod, her guitar, and all her recording equipment, but she wants more: A friend. A dad who notices her. The chance to show Dave Robbie that she's not entirely unspectacular.

ROSE BUTLER lives next door to Charlie's grandfather and spends her days watching cars pass on the freeway and hanging out with her troublemaker boyfriend. She loves Luke but can't wait to leave their small country town. And she's figured out a way: she's won a scholarship to a science school in the city, and now she has to convince her parents to let her go. This is where Charlie comes in. Charlie, who lives in the city, and whom Rose has ignored for years. Charlie, who just might be Rose's ticket out.

Told in alternating voices and filled with music, friendship, and romance, Charlie and Rose's "little wanting song" is about the kind of longing that begins as a heavy ache but ultimately makes us feel hopeful and wonderfully alive.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:48 -0400)

One Australian summer, two very different sixteen-year-old girls--Charlie, a talented but shy musician, and Rose, a confident student longing to escape her tiny town--are drawn into an unexpected friendship, as told in their alternating voices.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,488,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible