A Little Wanting Song by Cath Crowley

A Little Wanting Song

by Cath Crowley

Poetry, metaphor, honesty - amazing. Recommended for people who hear a soundtrack to their lives.

I could say I didn't like the whiney teenagers, but that was the point: at first they weren't very likable, after all they are teens. But they learn and grow like real teens do. I do wish it came with a CD so we could hear all the artists and songs being talked about. I wouldn't recommend this to just anyone, despite that it's so well-written, because a reader would have to want to read it. In other words, it *doesn't* transcend its genre or demographic. But it's still amazing. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Charlie (Charlotte) Duskin, 16, has been going with her father every vacation to stay in the country outside Melbourne, Australia with her grandparents, but this will be their first Christmas there since Charlie’s grandmother died seven months earlier.

Charlie doesn’t have any friends there; although the kids who live near her grandparents’ are around her age - Rose Butler and her two close buddies, Dave and Luke - they have never wanted anything to do with Charlie. Suddenly this year, Rose, clearly the leader of the three, seems almost to be courting Charlie as a friend. Since Rose and Luke are together, Charlie is thrown in with Dave, and she likes him a lot. But she discovers that Rose’s motivations for friendship with her are not without guile. Rose is full of anger and ambition and wanting, and maybe Charlie could be her ticket out of the countryside. Rose hasn’t told Luke and Dave why now she always wants to include Charlie, but the truth is bound to come out. And when it does, Charlie thinks Luke and Dave are in on it as well.

This isn’t the only big problem Charlie faces. Her grandpa and father are both suffering emotionally, and can’t seem to find a way out of the darkness. Charlie feels like she is alone, even though she is hurting too, and could use some love and attention in her life.

Charlie plays guitar and composes songs, mostly just for herself. This is the means by which she vents her emotions, especially her anger, hurts, and fears. She sings to the ghosts of loved ones who died:

"She’s lost in catacomb days.

She wonders if she’ll come back
If no one shows her how
And the ghost looks out the window
Says wow
I’d die for
One more
Taste of cake and bread and wine
Those little sugar biscuits
With real chunks of lemon rind
I’m aching for the day when I was blood
Aching for some hands to rain some skin
across my skin
Aching for that moment when I let a
person in
Aching just to want again.

… Maybe one day

For now she’s lost in catacomb days.”

Maybe her music is the way to break through to everyone. Maybe the beauty and truth and love that come out in her songs will bring everyone out of their own private catacombs and back into the light.

Evaluation: Cath Crowley is an exceptional writer. She excels at mapping the emotional landscape of teens, and telling their stories with sensitivity and humor. This is a story that would be bleak in the hands of another author, but with Crowley it is touching, hopeful, and an absorbing exploration of the different love that characterizes families, friends, and romances. ( )
1 vote nbmars | Jan 14, 2015 |
Ok. That's that. Too purple for my tastes. I read 25% and I just don't give a shit about the story or characters. The purple is too distracting. I see how this would appeal to many, but it's just not my kind of book.

Sowwy, Dee! I gave it my best shot.

As I'm super lazy
ready to move on ASAP, I'm just going to copy & paste all my status updates here. They're pretty self-explanatory. -_-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It’s so early he’s wiping hills of sand piled in the corners of his eyes.

Seriously? This is in the first paragraph. -_-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Everything in the world’s got a voice; most people don’t hear hard enough is all. Sunrise sounds like slow chords dripping from my guitar this morning. Sad chords, in B-flat.

I'm still on the first paragraph. Shoot me now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stared in the mirror for a while. I did that thing where you turn and spin back and try to catch yourself by surprise.

Oh, yeah! I do that all the time - said no one ever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I guess things change, though, so slowly you don’t notice the chord’s different. You’re playing B7 with added D and then D drifts away and all you’re left with is B minor. That’s a pretty sad key.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She laid her head on the pillow beside me and her breath stole the cool of the night.

So, she had hot breath? That's what I take away from this sentence.

Am I just stupid or is this sentence ridiculously stupid?

You get the picture. -_-

JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
I really liked this book. Charlie is a musician with talent who is too shy to show it and Rose is the girl who wants to leave town. It is interesting to me how Rose didn't like Charlie but then began to like her. I have not read many books that are so emotional and it was a bit of a nice change from what I usually read. ( )
  ChickensAreBrave | Jul 6, 2014 |
Wait a little longer

If you wait a little longer
I’ll be getting closer soon
I’m really very close
Got some things to say
And you’ll be hearing from me soon
I’m not that far away
I’m writing almost-love-songs
That I’ll be singing to you soon
They’re really close to ready
  Soplada | Feb 27, 2014 |

A summer of friendship, romance, and songs in major chords. . . .

CHARLIE DUSKIN loves music, and she knows she's good at it. But she only sings when she's alone, on the moonlit porch or in the back room at Old Gus's Secondhand Record and CD Store. Charlie's mom and grandmother have both died, and this summer she's visiting her grandpa in the country, surrounded by ghosts and grieving family, and serving burgers to the local kids at the milk bar. She's got her iPod, her guitar, and all her recording equipment, but she wants more: A friend. A dad who notices her. The chance to show Dave Robbie that she's not entirely unspectacular.

ROSE BUTLER lives next door to Charlie's grandfather and spends her days watching cars pass on the freeway and hanging out with her troublemaker boyfriend. She loves Luke but can't wait to leave their small country town. And she's figured out a way: she's won a scholarship to a science school in the city, and now she has to convince her parents to let her go. This is where Charlie comes in. Charlie, who lives in the city, and whom Rose has ignored for years. Charlie, who just might be Rose's ticket out.

Told in alternating voices and filled with music, friendship, and romance, Charlie and Rose's "little wanting song" is about the kind of longing that begins as a heavy ache but ultimately makes us feel hopeful and wonderfully alive.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:48 -0400)

One Australian summer, two very different sixteen-year-old girls--Charlie, a talented but shy musician, and Rose, a confident student longing to escape her tiny town--are drawn into an unexpected friendship, as told in their alternating voices.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,866,976 books! | Top bar: Always visible