Man's Search For Meaning by Viktor Frankl

Man's Search For Meaning (1946)

by Viktor Frankl

Recently added byjmnlman, honeychohan, private library, e-zReader, Brian.Hiller, theGlassChild, taylorfayle
Legacy LibrariesAnne Sexton, JeffBuckley, Danilo Kiš

English (102)  Spanish (4)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (108)
“It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life"

I really didn't have high expectations when I opened this book since I've never been a fan of books about Auschwitz (they always leave me with a hopeless lack of faith in humanity), but somehow small beautiful lines and sentences about the way a human being can use pain to build his strength, got me through the first part of the book. It never got too deep into the facts about the camps but stayed within the 'hopeful' mindset.
The 2nd part also surprised me and became some sort of brief introduction to psychotherapy and I found myself scribbling down small tips and ideas that I'd like to remember the next time I'm going through a hard time.

I loved reading this classic book and it's a beautiful story about how you can handle so much more than you ever thought you could. It's about trusting your story and about always saying yes to everything that happens, because it happens so that you can learn something. Everything happens to teach you something that you need to know in order to become who you're really meant to be. I will probably re-read this many times.

[ai:Charlotte Eriksson|7056690|Charlotte Eriksson|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1367998964p2/7056690.jpg] [a:Charlotte Eriksson|7056690|Charlotte Eriksson|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1367998964p2/7056690.jpg]
author of [b:Empty Roads & Broken Bottles; in search for The Great Perhaps|17829704|Empty Roads & Broken Bottles; in search for The Great Perhaps|Charlotte Eriksson|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1366309457s/17829704.jpg|24944198] ( )
  theGlassChild | Dec 16, 2014 |
This book was very meaningful and helpful to me during a time of grief. Frankl's philosophical stance is monumental. ( )
  JeaniaK | Dec 13, 2014 |
This book is a book of realistic optimism. Victor E. Frankl explores the existential nihilism found in much of the world today, especially in our Post Modern thought. Sophists would claim that there is no meaning in the world. It is easy to buy yourself an existential vaccum, but it sucks up all meaning.

But what then? What would Daryl Hannah do? Atlas holds the world but who holds Atlas? And if Atlas stands on-top of turtles than who is the squashed turtle on the bottom of the pile?

There is pain in this world. There is suffering, and much of this suffering is not decipherable, but we must go on finding our meaning in this world. One becomes happy when one finds the answer beyond the number 42 for what is the reason for God, the universe, and self. Frankl claimed the core principal to godly living is “to live as if you were living for the second time and acts as wrongly the first time as you are about to act now.”pg. 175,
I would recommend to anyone who might have suffered, or is suffering, or will suffer in the future.
Man’s Search for Meaning would benefit everyone.
  Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |

Man’s Search for Meaning would benefit everyone.
  Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |
Curajoasă intenţia lui Viktor Frankl de a da un sens vieţii. Ca fost supravieţuitor al Auschwitz-ului intenţia lui este de încredere. Totuşi nu m-a vindecat. Sunt încă în convalescenţă după "Mitul lui Sisif" sau "Îndreptar pătimaş". Şi probabil voi fi multă vreme... ( )
  mariusgm | Sep 12, 2014 |

Viktor Franklprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kushner, Harold S.Forewordmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winslade, William J.Afterwordmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lasch, IlseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my mother
This book does not claim to be an account of facts and events but of personal experiences, experiences which millions of prisoners have suffered time and again.
He who has a Why to live for can bear almost any How
Life is not primarily a quest for pleasure, as Freud believed, or a quest for power, as Alfred Adler taught, but a quest for meaning.
Man's inner strangth may raise him about his outward fate
Forces beyong your control can take away everything you possess exxept one things, your freedom to choose how you will respond to the situation. You cannot control what happens to you in life, but you can always control what you feel and do about what happens to you.
Life is meaningful and that we must learn to see life as meaningful despite our circumstances.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 080701429X, Mass Market Paperback)

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl is among the most influential works of psychiatric literature since Freud. The book begins with a lengthy, austere, and deeply moving personal essay about Frankl's imprisonment in Auschwitz and other concentration camps for five years, and his struggle during this time to find reasons to live. The second part of the book, called "Logotherapy in a Nutshell," describes the psychotherapeutic method that Frankl pioneered as a result of his experiences in the concentration camps. Freud believed that sexual instincts and urges were the driving force of humanity's life; Frankl, by contrast, believes that man's deepest desire is to search for meaning and purpose. Frankl's logotherapy, therefore, is much more compatible with Western religions than Freudian psychotherapy. This is a fascinating, sophisticated, and very human book. At times, Frankl's personal and professional discourses merge into a style of tremendous power. "Our generation is realistic, for we have come to know man as he really is," Frankl writes. "After all, man is that being who invented the gas chambers of Auschwitz; however, he is also that being who entered those gas chambers upright, with the Lord's Prayer or the Shema Yisrael on his lips."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:48 -0400)

Psychiatrist Viktor Frankl's memoir has riveted generations of readers with its descriptions of life in Nazi death camps and its lessons for spiritual survival. Based on his own experience and the stories of his patients, Frankl argues that we cannot avoid suffering but we can choose how to cope with it, find meaning in it, and move forward. At the heart of his theory, known as logotherapy, is a conviction that the primary human drive is not pleasure but the pursuit of what we find meaningful. Man's Search for Meaning has become one of the most influential books in America; it continues to inspire us all to find significance in the very act of living. Book jacket.… (more)

Beacon Press

3 editions of this book were published by Beacon Press.

Editions: 080701429X, 0807014265, 0807014273

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,394,542 books! | Top bar: Always visible