Man's Search For Meaning by Viktor Frankl

Man's Search For Meaning (1946)

by Viktor Frankl

English (107)  Spanish (5)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (114)
Quoting Nietzsche, "He who has a why to live can bear with almost any how."

This is a tough book to read. The first part is about the author's interment in various concentration camps. Just brutal. It's a first hand account, yet it differs from others I've read as it is told through the experiences of a man who is a psychiatrist, and thus offers a different take on the atrocities in the camps. The second part is about logotherapy, which I did not enjoy reading very much at all. And then the postscript sort of sums it all up. And within that section, at the end, this is written:

So, let us be alert - alert in a twofold sense:

Since Auschwitz we know what man is capable of.

And since Hiroshima we know what is at stake.

Powerful stuff. ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Aug 1, 2015 |
Incredibly powerful and inspiring book by someone who can truly claim to be a survivor. ( )
  rosiezbanks | Jul 27, 2015 |
If you've ever dealt with existential crises, or just want to hear the take of a psychiatrist that survived Auschwitz, you need to read this. Phenomenal. ( )
  trilliams | May 30, 2015 |
It's late and I'm tired. I will really try to update this soon with my review. ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
This autobiograpical books contains Viktor Frankl's testimonies regarding his experience in Auschwitz. His analysis from a psychotherapeutic point of view has fascinated the world reaching the cifre of 10 millions copies sold by 1997. ( )
  MohammedLR | Mar 24, 2015 |

Viktor Franklprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kushner, Harold S.Forewordmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winslade, William J.Afterwordmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lasch, IlseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my mother
This book does not claim to be an account of facts and events but of personal experiences, experiences which millions of prisoners have suffered time and again.
He who has a Why to live for can bear almost any How
Life is not primarily a quest for pleasure, as Freud believed, or a quest for power, as Alfred Adler taught, but a quest for meaning.
Man's inner strangth may raise him about his outward fate
Forces beyond your control can take away everything you possess except one thing, your freedom to choose how you will respond to the situation. You cannot control what happens to you in life, but you can always control what you feel and do about what happens to you.
Life is meaningful and that we must learn to see life as meaningful despite our circumstances.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 080701429X, Mass Market Paperback)

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl is among the most influential works of psychiatric literature since Freud. The book begins with a lengthy, austere, and deeply moving personal essay about Frankl's imprisonment in Auschwitz and other concentration camps for five years, and his struggle during this time to find reasons to live. The second part of the book, called "Logotherapy in a Nutshell," describes the psychotherapeutic method that Frankl pioneered as a result of his experiences in the concentration camps. Freud believed that sexual instincts and urges were the driving force of humanity's life; Frankl, by contrast, believes that man's deepest desire is to search for meaning and purpose. Frankl's logotherapy, therefore, is much more compatible with Western religions than Freudian psychotherapy. This is a fascinating, sophisticated, and very human book. At times, Frankl's personal and professional discourses merge into a style of tremendous power. "Our generation is realistic, for we have come to know man as he really is," Frankl writes. "After all, man is that being who invented the gas chambers of Auschwitz; however, he is also that being who entered those gas chambers upright, with the Lord's Prayer or the Shema Yisrael on his lips."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:49 -0400)

Psychiatrist Viktor Frankl's memoir has riveted generations of readers with its descriptions of life in Nazi death camps and its lessons for spiritual survival. Based on his own experience and the stories of his patients, Frankl argues that we cannot avoid suffering but we can choose how to cope with it, find meaning in it, and move forward. At the heart of his theory, known as logotherapy, is a conviction that the primary human drive is not pleasure but the pursuit of what we find meaningful. Man's Search for Meaning has become one of the most influential books in America; it continues to inspire us all to find significance in the very act of living. Book jacket.… (more)

Beacon Press

3 editions of this book were published by Beacon Press.

Editions: 080701429X, 0807014265, 0807014273

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,050,570 books! | Top bar: Always visible