Man's Search For Meaning by Viktor Frankl

Man's Search For Meaning (1946)

by Viktor Frankl

English (110)  Spanish (5)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (117)
I have heard of this book for a long, long time. I'm not sure why it took me so long to read it. Perhaps that was because the first part of the book talks about the author's personal experience in Auschwitz, a Polish concentration camp that I have a hard time revisiting in books since I know that my maternal grandparents died in its crematoria.

The author presents his own experiences in Auschwitz as a precursor to an explanation of logotherapy, the type of psychiatry he developed and practiced. Some of the information related to his theory was a bit difficult for me to understand, yet I found reading about it worthwhile. It is a very different approach to psychiatry than the psychoanalysis of Sigmund Fried. In a way, it seems much gentler. I also liked Frankl's approach to how to find meaning in life despite his unbearable treatment as a prisoner at Auschwitz. ( )
  SqueakyChu | Nov 25, 2015 |
I read this book partly because I had visited Auschwitz this past summer and I was including this with the rest of the Holocaust books I had been reading. Although the beginning recounts Dr. Frankl's experience in the concentration camp, the takeaways from this book can be applied to almost any aspect of life. The essence of this book is that we all need to find meaning and purpose in our lives and I found that I reflected on these lessons quite often in the past few months as I watched a friend die from cancer.

Excellent and profound. ( )
  jmoncton | Sep 15, 2015 |
This was one intense read for me. Having previously read "Night" while I was in high school many years ago, I thought that I was already well-aware of the atrocities that occurred during the Holocaust. Whatever torturous acts I thought I knew were only exacerbated throughout the pages of this book. However, that isn't all that this book was about. As a fellow student of psychiatry, I was able to understand the quote that Frankl borrowed from Nietzsche, which read as so: "He who has a Why to live for can bear almost any How." With that tidbit of knowledge, it is possible to understand how Frankl was able to make it through, albeit far from unscathed. He endured things that no living being should ever have to experience, yet he came out far from the bitter man that one would expect (and certainly understand the reasoning behind). Surely, if a man who witnessed first-hand the brutalities of war can make it through and emerge as a better person, there is hope for the rest of us.

I received a copy of this book for free in exchange for my honest opinion. ( )
  sealford | Sep 13, 2015 |
Quoting Nietzsche, "He who has a why to live can bear with almost any how."

This is a tough book to read. The first part is about the author's interment in various concentration camps. Just brutal. It's a first hand account, yet it differs from others I've read as it is told through the experiences of a man who is a psychiatrist, and thus offers a different take on the atrocities in the camps. The second part is about logotherapy, which I did not enjoy reading very much at all. And then the postscript sort of sums it all up. And within that section, at the end, this is written:

So, let us be alert - alert in a twofold sense:

Since Auschwitz we know what man is capable of.

And since Hiroshima we know what is at stake.

Powerful stuff. ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Aug 1, 2015 |
Incredibly powerful and inspiring book by someone who can truly claim to be a survivor. ( )
  rosiezbanks | Jul 27, 2015 |

Viktor Franklprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kushner, Harold S.Forewordmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winslade, William J.Afterwordmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lasch, IlseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my mother
This book does not claim to be an account of facts and events but of personal experiences, experiences which millions of prisoners have suffered time and again.
He who has a Why to live for can bear almost any How
Life is not primarily a quest for pleasure, as Freud believed, or a quest for power, as Alfred Adler taught, but a quest for meaning.
Man's inner strangth may raise him about his outward fate
Forces beyond your control can take away everything you possess except one thing, your freedom to choose how you will respond to the situation. You cannot control what happens to you in life, but you can always control what you feel and do about what happens to you.
Life is meaningful and that we must learn to see life as meaningful despite our circumstances.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 080701429X, Mass Market Paperback)

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl is among the most influential works of psychiatric literature since Freud. The book begins with a lengthy, austere, and deeply moving personal essay about Frankl's imprisonment in Auschwitz and other concentration camps for five years, and his struggle during this time to find reasons to live. The second part of the book, called "Logotherapy in a Nutshell," describes the psychotherapeutic method that Frankl pioneered as a result of his experiences in the concentration camps. Freud believed that sexual instincts and urges were the driving force of humanity's life; Frankl, by contrast, believes that man's deepest desire is to search for meaning and purpose. Frankl's logotherapy, therefore, is much more compatible with Western religions than Freudian psychotherapy. This is a fascinating, sophisticated, and very human book. At times, Frankl's personal and professional discourses merge into a style of tremendous power. "Our generation is realistic, for we have come to know man as he really is," Frankl writes. "After all, man is that being who invented the gas chambers of Auschwitz; however, he is also that being who entered those gas chambers upright, with the Lord's Prayer or the Shema Yisrael on his lips."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:49 -0400)

Psychiatrist Viktor Frankl's memoir has riveted generations of readers with its descriptions of life in Nazi death camps and its lessons for spiritual survival. Based on his own experience and the stories of his patients, Frankl argues that we cannot avoid suffering but we can choose how to cope with it, find meaning in it, and move forward. At the heart of his theory, known as logotherapy, is a conviction that the primary human drive is not pleasure but the pursuit of what we find meaningful. Man's Search for Meaning has become one of the most influential books in America; it continues to inspire us all to find significance in the very act of living. Book jacket.… (more)

Beacon Press

3 editions of this book were published by Beacon Press.

Editions: 080701429X, 0807014265, 0807014273

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,851,561 books! | Top bar: Always visible