Man's Search For Meaning by Viktor Frankl

Man's Search For Meaning (1946)

by Viktor Frankl

6,361None609 (4.26)118

English (91)  Spanish (4)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (97)
I heard a story about the author on NPR and I am curious to see if he has more to say than mere platitudes.
  ClosetWryter | Mar 3, 2014 |
_Éô_ôã ôɯ»¯±¯ÂôÉ
  dinanabil | Feb 28, 2014 |
_Éô_ôã ôɯ»¯±¯ÂôÉ
  Dina_Nabil | Feb 28, 2014 |
Skip the biographical part if you know anything about WWII.
Skip the second part if you know anything about meaning/logotherapy. ( )
  TAU67SEu | Feb 6, 2014 |
A psychiatrist's account of his concentration camp experience followed by a discussion of logotherapy. I like the idea of paradoxical intention, e.g. if you turn red easily when embarrassed, try to make yourself red when you start feeling like you might get embarrassed. Several of my favorite ideas from the book:
p. 108 Meaning of life differs from man to man, from day to day and from hour to hour.
p. 111 Three ways to discover the meaning of life
1) creating a work or doing a deed
2) experiencing something or encountering someone
3) attitude we take to unavoidable suffering
p. 145 Values are something we are, crystallized in the course of the evolution of our species.
I totally agree!! ( )
  Becky221 | Jan 14, 2014 |

Viktor Franklprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kushner, Harold S.Forewordmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winslade, William J.Afterwordmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lasch, IlseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my mother
This book does not claim to be an account of facts and events but of personal experiences, experiences which millions of prisoners have suffered time and again.
He who has a Why to live for can bear almost any How
Life is not primarily a quest for pleasure, as Freud believed, or a quest for power, as Alfred Adler taught, but a quest for meaning.
Man's inner strangth may raise him about his outward fate
Forces beyong your control can take away everything you possess exxept one things, your freedom to choose how you will respond to the situation. You cannot control what happens to you in life, but you can always control what you feel and do about what happens to you.
Life is meaningful and that we must learn to see life as meaningful despite our circumstances.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 080701429X, Mass Market Paperback)

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl is among the most influential works of psychiatric literature since Freud. The book begins with a lengthy, austere, and deeply moving personal essay about Frankl's imprisonment in Auschwitz and other concentration camps for five years, and his struggle during this time to find reasons to live. The second part of the book, called "Logotherapy in a Nutshell," describes the psychotherapeutic method that Frankl pioneered as a result of his experiences in the concentration camps. Freud believed that sexual instincts and urges were the driving force of humanity's life; Frankl, by contrast, believes that man's deepest desire is to search for meaning and purpose. Frankl's logotherapy, therefore, is much more compatible with Western religions than Freudian psychotherapy. This is a fascinating, sophisticated, and very human book. At times, Frankl's personal and professional discourses merge into a style of tremendous power. "Our generation is realistic, for we have come to know man as he really is," Frankl writes. "After all, man is that being who invented the gas chambers of Auschwitz; however, he is also that being who entered those gas chambers upright, with the Lord's Prayer or the Shema Yisrael on his lips."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:48 -0400)

Psychiatrist Viktor Frankl's memoir has riveted generations of readers with its descriptions of life in Nazi death camps and its lessons for spiritual survival. Based on his own experience and the stories of his patients, Frankl argues that we cannot avoid suffering but we can choose how to cope with it, find meaning in it, and move forward. At the heart of his theory, known as logotherapy, is a conviction that the primary human drive is not pleasure but the pursuit of what we find meaningful. Man's Search for Meaning has become one of the most influential books in America; it continues to inspire us all to find significance in the very act of living. Book jacket.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Beacon Press

Three editions of this book were published by Beacon Press.

Editions: 080701429X, 0807014265, 0807014273

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,505,625 books! | Top bar: Always visible