Man's Search For Meaning by Viktor Frankl

Man's Search For Meaning (1946)

by Viktor Frankl

English (98)  Spanish (4)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (104)
Curajoasă intenţia lui Viktor Frankl de a da un sens vieţii. Ca fost supravieţuitor al Auschwitz-ului intenţia lui este de încredere. Totuşi nu m-a vindecat. Sunt încă în convalescenţă după "Mitul lui Sisif" sau "Îndreptar pătimaş". Şi probabil voi fi multă vreme... ( )
  mariusgm | Sep 12, 2014 |
I'm not sure how to review this book. It reminded me a lot of the philosophy books I read in college...but not in the same way. A little bit of contradiction: while reading this book I wished that he would be more specific/expand on what he meant more than he did...but also cannot deny that I was counting down the pages ("Ok, only 60 more pages of the book, I can make it"). Some of what he wrote I think I agree with, other parts I felt were nonsensical, and needed more explanation. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
The first part of the book, which covers more than half of the book, is Victor's experiences in the concentration camp, WWII. This section alone is worth ten stars. He approaches it from a psychological approach leading to some deep human reflection. I first read this when I was 12 and make it a point to reread it every decade. We are not the sum of our nature or how we've been nurtured. At some point, there is a level of maturation that begins when you recognize you have a choice - find meaning in life, find a reason to live. In the searching and choosing the worst of whatever (has happened, will happen, or is happening) is NOT so big of an all consuming monster that we've made it out to be. When this happens I believe we move from surviving to thriving.
Classic read!!
Top quotes from Man’s Search for Meaning – Viktor Frankl
He who has a Why to live for can bear almost any How
Live as if you were living already for the second time and as if you had acted the first time as wrongly as you are about to act now
Suffering in and of itself is meaningless; we give our suffering meaning by the way in which we respond to it.
Forces beyond your control can take away everything you possess except one thing, your freedom to choose how you will respond to the situation. You cannot control what happens to you in life, but you can always control what you will feel and do about what happens to you.
The way in which a man accepts his fate and all the suffering it entails, the way in which he takes up his cross, gives him ample opportunity – even under the most difficult circumstances – to add a deeper meaning to his life.
Life is like being at the dentist. You always think that the worst is still to come, and yet it is over already.
It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us.
I called to the Lord from my narrow prison and he answered me in the freedom of space.
I consider it a dangerous misconception of mental hygiene to assume that what man needs in the first place is equilibrium or, as it is called in biology, “homeostasis,” i.e. a tension-less state. What man actually need is not a tension-less state but rather the striving and struggling for a worthwhile goal, a freely chosen task”
In fact, freedom is in danger of degenerating into mere arbitrariness unless it is lived in terms of responsibleness. That is why I recommend that the Statue of Liberty on the East Coast be supplemented by a Statue of Responsibility on the West Coast.”
Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual.
Emotion, which is suffering, ceases to be suffering as soon as we form a clear and precise picture of it.
Everything can be taken from a man but one thing; the last of the human freedoms – to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.
Don’t aim at success – the more you aim at it and make it a target, the more you are going to miss it. For success, like happiness, cannot be pursued; it must ensue, and it only does so as the unintended side effect of one’s dedication to a cause greater. ( )
  revslick | Jul 3, 2014 |
Much more than a simple Holocaust memoir, Frankl uses his experience in the camps to explore the psychology of the prisoner and to illuminate his discipline of logotherapy. This thought places emphasis on a will to meaning rather than a Freudian will to pleasure, urging people to find purpose through creative acts or meaningful deeds or even suffering if necessary. Such a dictum doesn't prevail in American psychotherapy, since people having to take responsibility isn't as easy as blaming your father and mother for unalterable neuroses. Personally, Frankl's approach and his story strongly resonated with me. This is just as important as anything by Freud or Jung. ( )
  poetontheone | Jun 23, 2014 |

Viktor Franklprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kushner, Harold S.Forewordmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winslade, William J.Afterwordmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lasch, IlseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my mother
This book does not claim to be an account of facts and events but of personal experiences, experiences which millions of prisoners have suffered time and again.
He who has a Why to live for can bear almost any How
Life is not primarily a quest for pleasure, as Freud believed, or a quest for power, as Alfred Adler taught, but a quest for meaning.
Man's inner strangth may raise him about his outward fate
Forces beyong your control can take away everything you possess exxept one things, your freedom to choose how you will respond to the situation. You cannot control what happens to you in life, but you can always control what you feel and do about what happens to you.
Life is meaningful and that we must learn to see life as meaningful despite our circumstances.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 080701429X, Mass Market Paperback)

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl is among the most influential works of psychiatric literature since Freud. The book begins with a lengthy, austere, and deeply moving personal essay about Frankl's imprisonment in Auschwitz and other concentration camps for five years, and his struggle during this time to find reasons to live. The second part of the book, called "Logotherapy in a Nutshell," describes the psychotherapeutic method that Frankl pioneered as a result of his experiences in the concentration camps. Freud believed that sexual instincts and urges were the driving force of humanity's life; Frankl, by contrast, believes that man's deepest desire is to search for meaning and purpose. Frankl's logotherapy, therefore, is much more compatible with Western religions than Freudian psychotherapy. This is a fascinating, sophisticated, and very human book. At times, Frankl's personal and professional discourses merge into a style of tremendous power. "Our generation is realistic, for we have come to know man as he really is," Frankl writes. "After all, man is that being who invented the gas chambers of Auschwitz; however, he is also that being who entered those gas chambers upright, with the Lord's Prayer or the Shema Yisrael on his lips."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:48 -0400)

Psychiatrist Viktor Frankl's memoir has riveted generations of readers with its descriptions of life in Nazi death camps and its lessons for spiritual survival. Based on his own experience and the stories of his patients, Frankl argues that we cannot avoid suffering but we can choose how to cope with it, find meaning in it, and move forward. At the heart of his theory, known as logotherapy, is a conviction that the primary human drive is not pleasure but the pursuit of what we find meaningful. Man's Search for Meaning has become one of the most influential books in America; it continues to inspire us all to find significance in the very act of living. Book jacket.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Beacon Press

Three editions of this book were published by Beacon Press.

Editions: 080701429X, 0807014265, 0807014273

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,389,286 books! | Top bar: Always visible