Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Man's Search for Meaning: An Introduction to…

Man's Search for Meaning: An Introduction to Logotheraphy (original 1946; edition 1971)

by Victor E. Frankl

Member:haydanhugo
Title:Man's Search for Meaning: An Introduction to Logotheraphy
Authors:Victor E. Frankl
Info:Pocket (1971), Mass Market Paperback, 226 pages

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl (Author) (1946)

English (171)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (181)
He who has a Why to live for can bear almost any How. --Nietzsche

I’ve encountered references to this book in so many others I’ve read and it was finally time to get to it. Over the first two-thirds here, Frankl examines prisoners’ (including himself) three phases of reactions to internment in WWII concentration camps: just after admission; later, when camp life had become familiar; and after liberation.

…the last of the human freedoms – to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.

In the last third, Frankl describes a doctrine of psychotherapy he developed called logotherapy -- that life is a quest for meaning (vs. pleasure or power) and that neuroses trace to an existential vacuum in meaning.

It’s a powerful Holocaust memoir and an empowering psychological boost. ( )
  DetailMuse | Jun 1, 2019 |
I love his saying that the young should envy the old because they have realities in the past that they have actualized and meanings they have fulfilled and values that they have realized and no one can take that away from them. ( )
  FourFreedoms | May 17, 2019 |
“In the depths of a never ending winter ; I finally learned within me burns an invincible summer.” - Camus

After reading psychiatrist Dr. Frankl's horrifying autobiographical tale of surviving Nazi death camp's of Auschwitz & Dachau while his entire family was wiped out ; Albert Camus words for some reason resonate in my mind .

Psychoanalysis is no easy task and undertaking it in a concentration camp under those conditions is nothing short of an superhuman effort ; however I think there lies the flaw in Dr.Frankl's "Logos" - Greek for Meaning - "Logos-Therapy" . The mechanism he engages is skewed towards finding an meaning when all hope is lost ; it uses any means to find something positive irrespective of the current circumstances. eg. The case where the 30 something single mother with a crippled child is contemplating suicide .

In any case - Dr.Frankl's motives is beyond doubt and although he downplays Freud's analysis and mentions he is complimenting Freud ; I believe Freud would be highly critical of Dr.Frankl as it seems to me He (Frankl) attempts an "inception" in the mind of the neurotic there by guiding him to a purpose in life .

Vik.Ram | May 5, 2019 |
I don't usually read books of this kind, so my opinion probably doesn't hold much weight, but I found this book very edifying. I don't necessarily relate to or agree with every point he makes (mostly because some of it feels old-fashioned or outdated), but I got a lot out of his overall message. My therapist recommended this book to me when I was going through a hard time, and I think that's really the best time to read this. ( )
  xiaomarlo | Apr 17, 2019 |
From one of America’s iconic writers, a stunning book of electric honesty and passion. Joan Didion explores an intensely personal yet universal experience: a portrait of a marriage--and a life, in good times and bad--that will speak to anyone who has ever loved a husband or wife or child.
  PSZC | Apr 17, 2019 |

Frankl, Viktor E.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kushner, Harold S.Forewordmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lasch, IlseTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winslade, William J.Afterwordmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Allport, Gordon WPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Šuvajevs, IgorsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my mother
This book does not claim to be an account of facts and events but of personal experiences, experiences which millions of prisoners have suffered time and again.
He who has a Why to live for can bear almost any How
Life is not primarily a quest for pleasure, as Freud believed, or a quest for power, as Alfred Adler taught, but a quest for meaning.
Man's inner strangth may raise him about his outward fate
Forces beyond your control can take away everything you possess except one thing, your freedom to choose how you will respond to the situation. You cannot control what happens to you in life, but you can always control what you feel and do about what happens to you.
Life is meaningful and that we must learn to see life as meaningful despite our circumstances.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 080701429X, Mass Market Paperback)

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl is among the most influential works of psychiatric literature since Freud. The book begins with a lengthy, austere, and deeply moving personal essay about Frankl's imprisonment in Auschwitz and other concentration camps for five years, and his struggle during this time to find reasons to live. The second part of the book, called "Logotherapy in a Nutshell," describes the psychotherapeutic method that Frankl pioneered as a result of his experiences in the concentration camps. Freud believed that sexual instincts and urges were the driving force of humanity's life; Frankl, by contrast, believes that man's deepest desire is to search for meaning and purpose. Frankl's logotherapy, therefore, is much more compatible with Western religions than Freudian psychotherapy. This is a fascinating, sophisticated, and very human book. At times, Frankl's personal and professional discourses merge into a style of tremendous power. "Our generation is realistic, for we have come to know man as he really is," Frankl writes. "After all, man is that being who invented the gas chambers of Auschwitz; however, he is also that being who entered those gas chambers upright, with the Lord's Prayer or the Shema Yisrael on his lips."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:49 -0400)

Psychiatrist Viktor Frankl's memoir has riveted generations of readers with its descriptions of life in Nazi death camps and its lessons for spiritual survival. Based on his own experience and the stories of his patients, Frankl argues that we cannot avoid suffering but we can choose how to cope with it, find meaning in it, and move forward. At the heart of his theory, known as logotherapy, is a conviction that the primary human drive is not pleasure but the pursuit of what we find meaningful. Man's Search for Meaning has become one of the most influential books in America; it continues to inspire us all to find significance in the very act of living. Book jacket.… (more)

Beacon Press

3 editions of this book were published by Beacon Press.

Editions: 080701429X, 0807014265, 0807014273

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,511,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible