Man's Search For Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl

Man's Search For Meaning (original 1946; edition 1997)

by Viktor E. Frankl

Member:robotheart
Title:Man's Search For Meaning
Authors:Viktor E. Frankl
Info:Pocket (1997), Edition: Rev&Updtd, Mass Market Paperback
Tags:meaning, history, philosophy

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl (1946)

English (121)  Spanish (5)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (129)
A true accomplishment.

Frankl is kind, calm, and honest. Most of all, he is, however, not dogmatic, but refreshingly open-minded. Just as he guided and comforted his fellow victims in the various concentration camps he was taken to, he gently steers his patients out of their neuroses and crises. In this book one finds a voice of humanity and kindness, which is more significant because of what Dr. Frankl had to go through, and the bleak times he lived in.
  bartt95 | Jul 17, 2016 |
If you've ever wondered what makes life meaningful, the answer is right here. Because of the author's vivid recollections of the concentration camp, it's disturbing to read, but so necessary. I read it every two years and have given away several copies. A must read for adults. ( )
  BonitaMartin | Jun 25, 2016 |
This book was very moving and inspirational. The book discusses time spent in a prisoner of war camp and the mental challenges faced within this time. The author also discusses many different choices he had to make in order to keep an optimistic attitude and positive frame of mind during the time he spent in the Jewish Concentration camp in Germany. The brings the reader to an understanding of the importance of choices and meaning in all of life's situations, even the ones we feel we have no hope or choice in, and realize even in those situations we still have control over the way we think if nothing else. ( )
1 vote velliott73 | May 8, 2016 |
A ver qué tal ya que este libro lo escribió un sobreviviente del holocausto Viktor Frankl ( )
  HectorAguirre | Apr 13, 2016 |
I began reading this book after reading an article about happiness, and why it's overrated. While happiness is a good thing, Frankl's slender volume explores why being happy in life and having a meaningful life aren't necessarily the same thing.

Towards the end, Frankl discusses the American tendency to command people to be happy, and to pursue happiness. While the Declaration of Independence secures our right to do so, a human being pursuing happiness is sort of like a small dog chasing a car. Frankl's contention is that we ought to pursue meaning, and once we've discovered our meaning and purpose, happiness will follow on its own.

No easy answers are offered here, but for anyone willing to give it the time and thought, this book can really live up to its reputation as a life-changer. ( )
2 vote pshaw | Apr 7, 2016 |

Viktor E. Franklprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kushner, Harold S.Forewordmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lasch, IlseTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winslade, William J.Afterwordmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Allport, Gordon WPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my mother
This book does not claim to be an account of facts and events but of personal experiences, experiences which millions of prisoners have suffered time and again.
He who has a Why to live for can bear almost any How
Life is not primarily a quest for pleasure, as Freud believed, or a quest for power, as Alfred Adler taught, but a quest for meaning.
Man's inner strangth may raise him about his outward fate
Forces beyond your control can take away everything you possess except one thing, your freedom to choose how you will respond to the situation. You cannot control what happens to you in life, but you can always control what you feel and do about what happens to you.
Life is meaningful and that we must learn to see life as meaningful despite our circumstances.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 080701429X, Mass Market Paperback)

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl is among the most influential works of psychiatric literature since Freud. The book begins with a lengthy, austere, and deeply moving personal essay about Frankl's imprisonment in Auschwitz and other concentration camps for five years, and his struggle during this time to find reasons to live. The second part of the book, called "Logotherapy in a Nutshell," describes the psychotherapeutic method that Frankl pioneered as a result of his experiences in the concentration camps. Freud believed that sexual instincts and urges were the driving force of humanity's life; Frankl, by contrast, believes that man's deepest desire is to search for meaning and purpose. Frankl's logotherapy, therefore, is much more compatible with Western religions than Freudian psychotherapy. This is a fascinating, sophisticated, and very human book. At times, Frankl's personal and professional discourses merge into a style of tremendous power. "Our generation is realistic, for we have come to know man as he really is," Frankl writes. "After all, man is that being who invented the gas chambers of Auschwitz; however, he is also that being who entered those gas chambers upright, with the Lord's Prayer or the Shema Yisrael on his lips."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:49 -0400)

Psychiatrist Viktor Frankl's memoir has riveted generations of readers with its descriptions of life in Nazi death camps and its lessons for spiritual survival. Based on his own experience and the stories of his patients, Frankl argues that we cannot avoid suffering but we can choose how to cope with it, find meaning in it, and move forward. At the heart of his theory, known as logotherapy, is a conviction that the primary human drive is not pleasure but the pursuit of what we find meaningful. Man's Search for Meaning has become one of the most influential books in America; it continues to inspire us all to find significance in the very act of living. Book jacket.… (more)

Beacon Press

3 editions of this book were published by Beacon Press.

Editions: 080701429X, 0807014265, 0807014273

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,321,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible