Man's Search For Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl

Man's Search For Meaning (original 1946; edition 1997)

by Viktor E. Frankl

7,320120482 (4.25)144
Member:robotheart
Title:Man's Search For Meaning
Authors:Viktor E. Frankl
Info:Pocket (1997), Edition: Rev&Updtd, Mass Market Paperback
Tags:meaning, history, philosophy

Man's Search For Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl (1946)

Recently added bynospi, djroga76, private library, gsm235, Excal, jordanf150
Legacy LibrariesAnne Sexton, JeffBuckley, Danilo Kiš

English (113)  Spanish (5)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (120)
Excellent. A classic. ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
The first half of the book is about the author's experience in a Nazi concentration camp. He spent three years between Auschwitz and Dachau-affiliated camps. The focus of that section is the psychology of the prisoners (and a little on the guards). Mostly, he wants to know who had the best chance of survival and why; that is, who could find meaning in their life in the midst of forced labor, freezing cold with little clothing, severe undernourishment, and no sanitation. I would give the book four stars if it had ended there.

The half-star comes because of the second half of the book, which is an explanation of what logotherapy is (it's helping patients find meaning in life [logos=meaning]) and how it might differ from other forms of psychotherapy. There isn't anything wrong with this section, and indeed there are nuggets of interesting information among some of the more technical terms. The inclusion of this section makes the book more for psychologists or researchers. The layperson can very happily read only the first section and skip part two. ( )
  theonlinelibrarian | Jan 29, 2016 |
A Holocaust survior, Frankel describes his own experience in a Nazi prison camp and somehow manages to come out of it all with a way to survive no matter how dire and extreme the circumstances. A book that anyone comtemplating suicide should be forced to read. "He who has a WILL to live, can live with almost any HOW." ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
I have heard of this book for a long, long time. I'm not sure why it took me so long to read it. Perhaps that was because the first part of the book talks about the author's personal experience in Auschwitz, a Polish concentration camp that I have a hard time revisiting in books since I know that my maternal grandparents died in its crematoria.

The author presents his own experiences in Auschwitz as a precursor to an explanation of logotherapy, the type of psychiatry he developed and practiced. Some of the information related to his theory was a bit difficult for me to understand, yet I found reading about it worthwhile. It is a very different approach to psychiatry than the psychoanalysis of Sigmund Fried. In a way, it seems much gentler. I also liked Frankl's approach to how to find meaning in life despite his unbearable treatment as a prisoner at Auschwitz. ( )
  SqueakyChu | Nov 25, 2015 |
I read this book partly because I had visited Auschwitz this past summer and I was including this with the rest of the Holocaust books I had been reading. Although the beginning recounts Dr. Frankl's experience in the concentration camp, the takeaways from this book can be applied to almost any aspect of life. The essence of this book is that we all need to find meaning and purpose in our lives and I found that I reflected on these lessons quite often in the past few months as I watched a friend die from cancer.

Excellent and profound. ( )
  jmoncton | Sep 15, 2015 |

Viktor E. Franklprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kushner, Harold S.Forewordmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lasch, IlseTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winslade, William J.Afterwordmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Allport, Gordon WPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my mother
This book does not claim to be an account of facts and events but of personal experiences, experiences which millions of prisoners have suffered time and again.
He who has a Why to live for can bear almost any How
Life is not primarily a quest for pleasure, as Freud believed, or a quest for power, as Alfred Adler taught, but a quest for meaning.
Man's inner strangth may raise him about his outward fate
Forces beyond your control can take away everything you possess except one thing, your freedom to choose how you will respond to the situation. You cannot control what happens to you in life, but you can always control what you feel and do about what happens to you.
Life is meaningful and that we must learn to see life as meaningful despite our circumstances.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 080701429X, Mass Market Paperback)

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl is among the most influential works of psychiatric literature since Freud. The book begins with a lengthy, austere, and deeply moving personal essay about Frankl's imprisonment in Auschwitz and other concentration camps for five years, and his struggle during this time to find reasons to live. The second part of the book, called "Logotherapy in a Nutshell," describes the psychotherapeutic method that Frankl pioneered as a result of his experiences in the concentration camps. Freud believed that sexual instincts and urges were the driving force of humanity's life; Frankl, by contrast, believes that man's deepest desire is to search for meaning and purpose. Frankl's logotherapy, therefore, is much more compatible with Western religions than Freudian psychotherapy. This is a fascinating, sophisticated, and very human book. At times, Frankl's personal and professional discourses merge into a style of tremendous power. "Our generation is realistic, for we have come to know man as he really is," Frankl writes. "After all, man is that being who invented the gas chambers of Auschwitz; however, he is also that being who entered those gas chambers upright, with the Lord's Prayer or the Shema Yisrael on his lips."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:49 -0400)

Psychiatrist Viktor Frankl's memoir has riveted generations of readers with its descriptions of life in Nazi death camps and its lessons for spiritual survival. Based on his own experience and the stories of his patients, Frankl argues that we cannot avoid suffering but we can choose how to cope with it, find meaning in it, and move forward. At the heart of his theory, known as logotherapy, is a conviction that the primary human drive is not pleasure but the pursuit of what we find meaningful. Man's Search for Meaning has become one of the most influential books in America; it continues to inspire us all to find significance in the very act of living. Book jacket.… (more)

Beacon Press

3 editions of this book were published by Beacon Press.

Editions: 080701429X, 0807014265, 0807014273

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,070,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible