... trotzdem Ja zum Leben sagen: Ein…

... trotzdem Ja zum Leben sagen: Ein Psychologe erlebt das… (original 1946; edition 2009)

by Viktor E. Frankl, Viktor E. Frankl (Author)

Member:muflax
Title:... trotzdem Ja zum Leben sagen: Ein Psychologe erlebt das Konzentrationslager
Authors:Viktor E. Frankl
Other authors:Viktor E. Frankl (Author)
Info:Kösel-Verlag (2009), Gebundene Ausgabe, 192 pages

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl (1946)

English (118)  Spanish (5)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (125)
A ver qué tal ya que este libro lo escribió un sobreviviente del holocausto Viktor Frankl ( )
  HectorAguirre | Apr 13, 2016 |
I began reading this book after reading an article about happiness, and why it's overrated. While happiness is a good thing, Frankl's slender volume explores why being happy in life and having a meaningful life aren't necessarily the same thing.

Towards the end, Frankl discusses the American tendency to command people to be happy, and to pursue happiness. While the Declaration of Independence secures our right to do so, a human being pursuing happiness is sort of like a small dog chasing a car. Frankl's contention is that we ought to pursue meaning, and once we've discovered our meaning and purpose, happiness will follow on its own.

No easy answers are offered here, but for anyone willing to give it the time and thought, this book can really live up to its reputation as a life-changer. ( )
1 vote pshaw | Apr 7, 2016 |
"Et Lux In Tenebris Lucet" is Latin for "...and a light shines in darkness" (I'm quoting the author, who's describing a moment during a long, forced march in the middle of the night and winter, when he saw a little farmhouse in the distance; his vision of that distant, lit home became the bedrock of the author's faith that he would survive his harrowing time under the Nazi's thumbs; he did survive.) Few books have had so great an impact on my life as this one. Most definitely read this book. ( )
  evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |
Frankl wrote this book a year after being released from Auschwitz, the Nazi concentration camp during World War II. The first half of the book recounts his experiences while in camp. Frankl doesn’t do this to display the atrocities of the camps, but to to support his method of psychotherapy called Logotherapy, a technique that essentially results in the patient/person taking control of their situation as opposed to being told how they feel (like in Freudian or Adlerian psychoanalysis). The second half is an essay explaining the utility of Logotherapy, but is actually “the life lesson” section.
I suggest reading the 2006 version as it includes an additional forward and afterword to go along with Frankl’s preface and postscript (which he wrote decades after the original book). On the second page of Harold S. Kushner’s forward is a summary of one of the most poignant concepts of the book:

“Forces beyond your control can take away everything you possess except one thing, your freedom to choose how you will respond to the situation. You cannot control what happens to you in life, but you can always control what you will feel and do about what happens to you.”

–pg X

The other important concept is helping people discover the meaning of their life; Logotherapy essentially puts meaning to people’s suffering. While Frankl had developed Logotherapy in theory and practice before the war, Auschwitz helped him learn the final method of discovering the meaning of life.

“According to logotherapy, we can discover this meaning in life in three different ways: 1) by creating work or doing a deed; 2) by experiencing something or encountering someone (love of experience or a person); 3) by the attitude we take toward unavoidable suffering.”

–pg 111

One of the biggest lessons from Frankl is that the meaning of life is relative to the time and situation you’re in. It changes! That concept never occurred to me as Western, or maybe even American, society is always pushed towards having a singular purpose. In Auschwitz, Frankl survived at different times by thinking of his wife or feeling the need to re-write his Logotherapy manuscript after the war. Later in life he did not suffer and his continued work on Logotherapy became his meaning.

What a person is experiencing will dictate what they consider their “meaning”, but it’s up to them to restructure their thoughts to provide meaning to that situation.

In a society where personal responsibility seems to ebb away daily, Frankl states that man inherently has responsibility for his actions. The world may not be black and white, good and evil, yet man can make a decision on how black or white his next act will be. Man has the ability to provide meaning to his existential vacuum through work, love, or courage. And when a man lacks the gumption to define that for himself, Logotherapy is there to give him a nudge in the right direction. ( )
1 vote AlexisLovesBooks | Mar 13, 2016 |
Frankl was a concentration camp survivor. As a psychiatrist prior to the war he had a unique position from which to evaluate himself and his experience. The book consists of his recounting of events, which is less than 100 pages. This is followed by his description of logotherapy, which is what he had developed as an approach to psychoanalysis.

The first part is basically various observations of how he and others responded to the imprisonment. It seems his basic thought is that there was minimal chance of survival when a prisoner lost his sense of meaning for his life. Similarly, when one lost hope then death often followed quickly.
"If there is a meaning in life at all, then there must be a meaning in suffering. Suffering is an ineradicable part of life, even as fate and death. Without suffering and death life cannot be complete." (p 67).
Also, a nice story: "A rich and mighty Persian once walked in his garden with one of his servants. The servant cried that he had just encountered Death, who had threatened him. He begged his master to give him his fastest horse so that he could make haste and flee to Teheran, which he could reach that same evening. The master consented and the servant galloped off on the horse. On returning to his house the master himself met Death, and questioned him, "Why did you terrify and threaten my servant?" "I did not threaten him; I only showed surprise in still finding him here when I planned to meet him tonight in Teheran," said Death. (p 56)

His approach to counseling seemed quite interesting, and circled around helping people find meaning. Another emphasis is responsibility.

The book is more interesting than helpful. He lived many decades after the war and sought to help many people. ( )
  jimmoz | Mar 12, 2016 |

Viktor E. Franklprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kushner, Harold S.Forewordmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lasch, IlseTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winslade, William J.Afterwordmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Allport, Gordon WPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my mother
This book does not claim to be an account of facts and events but of personal experiences, experiences which millions of prisoners have suffered time and again.
He who has a Why to live for can bear almost any How
Life is not primarily a quest for pleasure, as Freud believed, or a quest for power, as Alfred Adler taught, but a quest for meaning.
Man's inner strangth may raise him about his outward fate
Forces beyond your control can take away everything you possess except one thing, your freedom to choose how you will respond to the situation. You cannot control what happens to you in life, but you can always control what you feel and do about what happens to you.
Life is meaningful and that we must learn to see life as meaningful despite our circumstances.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 080701429X, Mass Market Paperback)

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl is among the most influential works of psychiatric literature since Freud. The book begins with a lengthy, austere, and deeply moving personal essay about Frankl's imprisonment in Auschwitz and other concentration camps for five years, and his struggle during this time to find reasons to live. The second part of the book, called "Logotherapy in a Nutshell," describes the psychotherapeutic method that Frankl pioneered as a result of his experiences in the concentration camps. Freud believed that sexual instincts and urges were the driving force of humanity's life; Frankl, by contrast, believes that man's deepest desire is to search for meaning and purpose. Frankl's logotherapy, therefore, is much more compatible with Western religions than Freudian psychotherapy. This is a fascinating, sophisticated, and very human book. At times, Frankl's personal and professional discourses merge into a style of tremendous power. "Our generation is realistic, for we have come to know man as he really is," Frankl writes. "After all, man is that being who invented the gas chambers of Auschwitz; however, he is also that being who entered those gas chambers upright, with the Lord's Prayer or the Shema Yisrael on his lips."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:49 -0400)

Psychiatrist Viktor Frankl's memoir has riveted generations of readers with its descriptions of life in Nazi death camps and its lessons for spiritual survival. Based on his own experience and the stories of his patients, Frankl argues that we cannot avoid suffering but we can choose how to cope with it, find meaning in it, and move forward. At the heart of his theory, known as logotherapy, is a conviction that the primary human drive is not pleasure but the pursuit of what we find meaningful. Man's Search for Meaning has become one of the most influential books in America; it continues to inspire us all to find significance in the very act of living. Book jacket.… (more)

Beacon Press

3 editions of this book were published by Beacon Press.

Editions: 080701429X, 0807014265, 0807014273

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,702 books! | Top bar: Always visible