By Order of the President (Presidential…

By Order of the President (Presidential Agent) (original 2004; edition 2005)

by W.E.B. Griffin

Member:buffalogr
Title:By Order of the President (Presidential Agent)
Authors:W.E.B. Griffin
Info:Jove (2005), Edition: First, Mass Market Paperback, 624 pages
Collections:Audible

By Order of the President by W. E. B. Griffin (2004)

This book is the first in the series about Charlie Castellio, a super-hero kind of guy that we all wish actually existed and worked to save us all.

The story line was interesting, and moved right along. In fact, it jumped around a little too much for my tastes.

My complaint with this one is the absolute lack of any resolution of the many point of the plot--in fighting and territorialness in the various intelligence agencies in the USA. The main point of the book was that good ole Charlie/Carlos at a tender age it seems to me was asked by the President to examine the intelligence agencies to see what each knew about a particular incident.

There was absolutely no resolution to this question--it just drifted off into space. A major annoyance to me were the outright lies one of the members of an agency told about a situation that nearly cost the USA a great deal of misery; absolutely nothing in the book regarding what if anything was done to this person when it was discovered. Not one word. Or, come to that, what was done about an injustice done to another agent due to this other than a vague "It'll be alright" kind of thing. And the main female lead was so unlikely as to be a detriment. And, of course, the constant calling of the lead character "Don Juan" was just idiotic.

My true problem with this edition, however, is the HORRIBLE audio book properties. There are clever sound effects added, esp. when a battle rages, as they always do in this series. I don't need gunfire, loud booms, sirens, and God knows what else screaming in the background, in spots nearly drowning out the narrator. Very amateur, very childish, very distracting, very irritating. Had I know these things were part of the edition, I would not have listened to it.

My other quibble -- why does one of the main characters, an American Colonel, speak with a British accent? Ridiculous.

This book would be a good bathtub or beach read, but I can't recommend this audio edition -- the production flaws outweigh the reasonably good story, albeit one without adequate resolution of plot lines.

MissJessie | Oct 16, 2013 |
SUMMARY:
When a leased Boeing 727 is violently hijacked from Angola and flown to parts unknown, the President turns to an outsider--Major Carlos Guillermo Castillo--for answers. A pilot, West Point graduate, and veteran of Desert Storm, Castillo has a sharp eye for the facts--and the truth behind them. In Africa, he is helped and hindered by unexpected allies and ruthless enemies, and begins to untangle a plot of horrific dimensions--a plot that, unless Castillo acts quickly, will end very, very badly.
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
Exciting book that was a fun listen. The characters were very well (over) developed, probably because this was the first of a series. I'll read #2. ( )
  buffalogr | Nov 24, 2012 |
I have enjoy many of WEB Griffin's books. I loved this book and have quickly finished the series and currently waiting impatiently until the next book comes out in December. If like action adventures with military special ops thrown in you will love this book and series. This guys do what needs to be done when and how it needs done. ( )
  nursewidener | Oct 6, 2010 |
Carlos "Charlie" Castillo is many things to many people and he sometimes has a hard time keeping them all straight. He's an Army Major, ex-Delta Force, pilot, secret Service Agent, spy, aid to the Secretary of Homeland security. as well as a mulit-linguist, is independently wealthy and is an all around nice guy. Makes Jack Ryan look like a second rate wammabe.

Someone has stolen a 727 in Angola and no one seems to no by who, why, where is going or what it is to be used for. The president decides he wants to do a little test on his intelligence corps. Our poster boy Carlos, who is working for the Homeland Security Secretary is picked to do the snooping. Carlos uncovers a few things among them a plot to crash the plane into Philadelphia. Carlos becomes the lead man in trying to stop the terrorist plot.

Overall a fun book to listen to and Griffin is a great story teller. We keep doing flashbacks with Carlos to find out how he became the man we see today. The writing decent and as long as you don't mind that Carlos seems to be near perfect and Generals seems to be common as house flies and just go along for the ride you'll have fun. ( )
  readafew | Apr 10, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515139777, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:01 -0400)

When a leased Boeing 727 mysteriously vanishes after two passengers murder the pilot, Army intelligence officer Major Carlos Guillermo Castillo, a veteran of the Special Forces, is called in by the president of the United States to uncover the truth and embarks on an undercover investigation into a case with frightening implications.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,361,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible