By Order of the President (Presidential…

By Order of the President (Presidential Agent) (original 2004; edition 2005)

by W.E.B. Griffin

Member:buffalogr
Title:By Order of the President (Presidential Agent)
Authors:W.E.B. Griffin
Info:Jove (2005), Edition: First, Mass Market Paperback, 624 pages
Collections:Audible

By Order of the President by W. E. B. Griffin (2004)

Recently added bybookbroke, DonaldBuehler, private library, Kitamura, Quietman2, sandra.k.heinzman

No more W.E.B. Griffin

I love the military - I love war novels. And I am a sucker for serialized novels.

A few years ago I finally picked up a W.E.B. Griffin book (do not remember the title). I was excited - read it. but really struggled with the fact that there was almost no action in the book. So I put him off.

Recently I have picked up 3 of his novels from the "Presidential Agent" Series - and am now 450 pages into "By Order of the President." No way am I going to clog thru the next 150 pages. In the beginning of the book - a pilot and his co-pilot get their throats slit - and then the action stops. The President and a bunch pif his minions (Secy Defense, etc.) fumble around - talk in cryptic language (they all were buddies in a past life) - and generally just engage in office politics, until I want too blow my head off!

No more best buddy - past relationships which are called upon - no more "rules be damned" I'm going to do what I know is best (that worked for Jack Bauer, but not for the characters in W.E.B.'s world) - no more of the endless flying around, commandeering military planes - or using your rich families planes to do the government's business. I have had it. W.E.B. Griffin (or your son, whoever is writing this stuff) - you will not steal another hour of my precious life.

I am giving up on "By the Order .." and giving away my unread books (about 5 of them) because I do not want to be bored out of my mind. NOTE: I have NEVER given books away!!!!

This must be someone(s) out there that likes this drivel. But NOT MEEEEEEE!

DonB ( )
  DonaldBuehler | May 11, 2015 |
This book is the first in the series about Charlie Castellio, a super-hero kind of guy that we all wish actually existed and worked to save us all.

The story line was interesting, and moved right along. In fact, it jumped around a little too much for my tastes.

My complaint with this one is the absolute lack of any resolution of the many point of the plot--in fighting and territorialness in the various intelligence agencies in the USA. The main point of the book was that good ole Charlie/Carlos at a tender age it seems to me was asked by the President to examine the intelligence agencies to see what each knew about a particular incident.

There was absolutely no resolution to this question--it just drifted off into space. A major annoyance to me were the outright lies one of the members of an agency told about a situation that nearly cost the USA a great deal of misery; absolutely nothing in the book regarding what if anything was done to this person when it was discovered. Not one word. Or, come to that, what was done about an injustice done to another agent due to this other than a vague "It'll be alright" kind of thing. And the main female lead was so unlikely as to be a detriment. And, of course, the constant calling of the lead character "Don Juan" was just idiotic.

My true problem with this edition, however, is the HORRIBLE audio book properties. There are clever sound effects added, esp. when a battle rages, as they always do in this series. I don't need gunfire, loud booms, sirens, and God knows what else screaming in the background, in spots nearly drowning out the narrator. Very amateur, very childish, very distracting, very irritating. Had I know these things were part of the edition, I would not have listened to it.

My other quibble -- why does one of the main characters, an American Colonel, speak with a British accent? Ridiculous.

This book would be a good bathtub or beach read, but I can't recommend this audio edition -- the production flaws outweigh the reasonably good story, albeit one without adequate resolution of plot lines.

MissJessie | Oct 16, 2013 |
SUMMARY:
When a leased Boeing 727 is violently hijacked from Angola and flown to parts unknown, the President turns to an outsider--Major Carlos Guillermo Castillo--for answers. A pilot, West Point graduate, and veteran of Desert Storm, Castillo has a sharp eye for the facts--and the truth behind them. In Africa, he is helped and hindered by unexpected allies and ruthless enemies, and begins to untangle a plot of horrific dimensions--a plot that, unless Castillo acts quickly, will end very, very badly.
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
Exciting book that was a fun listen. The characters were very well (over) developed, probably because this was the first of a series. I'll read #2. ( )
  buffalogr | Nov 24, 2012 |
I have enjoy many of WEB Griffin's books. I loved this book and have quickly finished the series and currently waiting impatiently until the next book comes out in December. If like action adventures with military special ops thrown in you will love this book and series. This guys do what needs to be done when and how it needs done. ( )
  nursewidener | Oct 6, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515139777, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:01 -0400)

When a leased Boeing 727 mysteriously vanishes after two passengers murder the pilot, Army intelligence officer Major Carlos Guillermo Castillo, a veteran of the Special Forces, is called in by the president of the United States to uncover the truth and embarks on an undercover investigation into a case with frightening implications.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,170,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible