Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa

Mornings in Jenin (original 2006; edition 2011)

by Susan Abulhawa

Member:polarbear123
Title:Mornings in Jenin
Authors:Susan Abulhawa
Info:Bloomsbury Paperbacks (2011), Paperback, 352 pages

Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa (2006)

English (41)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (44)
Book Club 2010 (second book our, choice)
  deirdrebrown | Nov 6, 2014 |
This is the story of Palestine told from the perspective of the Arabs as the Jews come in to their homeland. It certainly gave me a fresh insight into the situation and how our media can write what powerful individuals wanT others to know. ( )
  creighley | Jul 11, 2014 |
I can not count how many books I have read about war, the holocaust, death and dying and still I keep reading them. This is one of the better ones that was written so beautifully and portrayed the life of Palestinian people in a lyrical poetic way. Rarely due these stories bring tears to me eyes but this one moved me. Not sure why the ending had to be so dark because the message was already made but enjoyed the book never less. ( )
  sschaller | May 2, 2014 |
I don't know how to review this novel, so let me just start from the beginning of ma journey with it..

Heard abt the book, and since this year 4 me is abt re-discovering Palestine,I searched 4 da book, until finally I found it in Diwan bookstore, the guy brought me the English original novel and the Arabic translation, I was confused 4 a min. since I'm so in love w/ Arabic lately, but @ the same time I hate not reading the book in its original lang as long as I know it, so eventually I decided 2 buy the English one, and THANK GOD I did...

My impression after reading the 1st couple of pages was "mmm okay", I blame Ghassan Kanafani, Elias Khoury, Mourid ElBarghouthi, Radwa Ashour and other Arab authors 4 that, I blame them 4 feeling this way coz they r so amazing in writing powerful Arabic making the novel more than just a typical story, it's deeper with so much feelings & conflicts, powerful in a way words can't express. So I was kinda not so impressed since English didn't gimme the same feeling it was a typical story, sthing like "The Kite runner" as the publisher itself tries 2 promote it..

It even came to the point when Susan used the same twist that Ghassan Kanafani created in one of his amazing novels "Back to Haifa", -she wrote that Kanafani's novel was an inspiration-, but Kanafani made this twist 2 deliver sthing deep abt the definition of "home" among many other things.. he gave it this extra 4th dimension that can't be delivered by any1, just the ppl who care alot, who know alot, who r smart w/ powerful language...

Back to Susan, I doubted she'd do like Kanafani, but who said that a plain direct story can't do wonders & deliver messages as well?.. Susan proved me wrong and got me addicted to her novel, made me cry river of tears & ma whole face was swollen with all the crying & sniffing, it was a heartbreaking story, very heartbreaking yet full of love and hope, has smiles and joyful moments in between the sadness and blood, just like most Palestinians lives r...

Some might think that this is fiction with so much unrealistic drama, non-Arabs ofcourse would think so, but the worst part is that we -Arabs & ppl affiliated w/ Palestine- we know as a fact that real life is even worse than fiction, we've seen so much heartbreaking stories, we've seen the wounds and the heart scars that never heal, and we haven't even seen it all, it's worse than you'd ever think, it's really worse..

And that's when Susan gets even more honest and amazing, making her comparison 2 "The Kite Runner" so not fair, I love "The Kite Runner" but I gotta say 'm not really impressed abt Hosseini promoting the American war of Afghanistan, he's an Afghan who endorsed the American version of Afghanistan in his novel 2 justify the war against it, I don't deny Taliban's horror but I know there's more into it than wat he said..

Susan didn't do that, Susan was EXTREMELY honest abt the mess & sadness of 4 generations of Palestinians since ElNakba "the catastrophe" , she stood up 4 Palestine & Palestinians in her English written novel, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't easy, she totally destroyed the American media coverage of Palestinians as terrorists and all of this bullshit, she just showed how unjust this world is, how ugly this world is supporting the guys who hold the big guns,the F16s, the planes, the trucks and the full power. I don't mind supporting Israelis but don't call them victims, have the decency 2 admit they r using excessive power against unarmed civilians 4 watever reasons u believe in, admit it instead of babbling around w/ the "terrorists" silly story coz it's really illogical, read abt Deer Yassin, Kafr Qasem,Sabra & Shatila, ElTantoura,Jenin massacres and many more ma head can't keep up w/, not 2 mention demolishing Palestinians' homes, forceful evacuation, arrest of thousands of Palestinians, denying them entry, the daily assaults against them,and much more ..

So as Susan mentioned in the middle of her brilliant novel, "Hitler massacred Jews, and now Jews massacre Palestinians", so plz spare us the Holocaust story, innocent Jews suffered badly bec. of Hitler, but now we'r not dealing w/ Jewish victims, we r dealing w/ disgusting Zionists..

Just need again 2 show ma respect 4 Susan 4 saying the whole truth even though most westerns don't like 2 hear it coz it doesn't please them, not years of living in America made her forget that or condemn any kind of resistance by Palestinians against occupation..'m pretty sure that 4 this particular reason, this novel won't get the attention it deserves.. coz regardless of anything... that's a hell of an amazing novel...

Loved the characters: Abu Yehia,Basima,Hasan,Darweesh, Dalia,Yusuf ,Amal, Fatima, Huda, Majid, Hajj Abu Salem, George O'Mally, Ari Perlstein, all these ppl I lived w/ them and felt their pain, cried alot 4 them, damn 'm crying now :'(

These sweet moments of Amal and her father Hassan @ dawn, Yusuf and Amal, Yusuf and Fatima :(, Amal and Huda, Amal & Dalia, Hassan & Ari, Amal and Majid, Amal and Sara... God, so many beautiful,heartbreaking, sweet,happy, sad moments that I've felt every min. of it.. and it hurts so much 2 remember..

Wat can I possibly say abt this novel and do it justice?.. dunno.. just plz read it..

I need 2 say that 'm grateful 4 buying the original English book 2 not miss the beautiful Arabic words written in English w/ their translation by Susan, I extremely loved it, showing the difference between the 2 languages, how a sentence in Arabic means a paragraph in English, so instead of saying a simple "Thank u" in English, In Arabic we say "May Allah extend ur life and gives u the best ..." and we can go on :D:D.. beautiful, extremely beautiful.. and Susan seemed fascinated by it..

I also luved her accuracy in translation 2 give the same feeling of the Arabic words, just like her translation to "Allahu Akbar" 4 example:

see wat I mean?.. brilliant!

So I loved it, I give it 100 stars, an all time fav, a MUST read... ( )
  Samar.Abd-Allah | Feb 27, 2014 |
Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa was both a difficult book to read and a difficult book to write a review on. This was one of the most emotional reads I’ve had in a very long time. This is the story of the Palestine refugees told in a way that I personally had never known. This is a story of loss. The characters face the loss of their land, the loss of their dignity and the loss of their lives. The author opened my eyes to an event that has been on the world stage for a generation, yet one I really knew very little about.

The story of one Palestinian family from the 1940’s through to 2003 was a story of hardship, war and hatred. I was surprised and angry to read of such horrible acts that were committed by the same people who were mistreated and murdered by the Nazis. I know this book is probably more than a little one-sided and I need to balance my views by reading something from the Israeli point of view, but the message I take from Mornings In Jenin is that violence begets violence in a never ending cycle.

Both heart and gut-wrenching, Mornings In Jenin is a powerful read that resonated with me and left me feeling a sense of both loss and guilt. A moving story that takes one behind the headlines and gives us a personal look at the cost of disassembling a nation. ( )
1 vote DeltaQueen50 | Feb 14, 2014 |
The everyday life of cramped conditions, poverty, restriction, and the fear of soldiers, guns, checkpoints and beatings, would have been enough to make the novel unforgettable, but Abulhawa's writing also shines, at best assured and unsentimental.

Mornings in Jenin (Susan Abulhawa)
This book is the story of Amal Abulheja and her family spanning 54 years. It starts in 1948 when the family is removed from their home in Ein Hod and forced to live as refugees in Jenin. It is a tragic tale of war and loss, yet is also a story of family bonding, love and dedication.

Amal goes through war and conflict between Palestine (Muslims) and Israel (Jewish). She is a strong proud woman, with tragedy following her. The vivid detail of war and terror is heart felt and grabbed me by the heart. It is difficult for one to imagine to live as refuges, with curfews and fear, bombs gunfire and death. The graphic detail of the treatment of the refuges, especially the children was heart wrenching. All the lives lost is saddening. This story left an impression. One that makes me want peace within the world, more than ever before. How this will happen, I have no clue.

I admit I know little of the conflict between Palestine & Israel and I suppose most of the world does not understand, nor know as well. (I could be wrong, but it is my opinion). I found this an unforgettable read. I highly recommend Mornings In Jenin and would love to read more by Ms. Abulhawa.
added by SheriAWilkinson | editPrinceton, Il., Sheri A Wilkinson (Dec 13, 1901)

Amal wanted a closer look into the soldier's eyes, but the muzzle of his automatic rifle, pressed against her forehead, would not allow it.
Mornings in Jenin was also published as The Scar of David.

Four generations of a Palestinian family struggle to survive during more than sixty years of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict, finding themselves on both sides of the fighting.
Við stofnun Ísraelsríkis 1948 er palestínsk fjölskylda hrakin úr þorpinu þar sem ættin hefur búið öldum saman og í kjölfarið finnur hún sér hæli í flóttamannabúðunum í Jenín. Á leiðinni hverfur eitt barnanna, ungur drengur sem elst upp í gyðingdómi, en bróðir hans fórnar öllu fyrir málstað Palestínumanna. Systirin Amal flyst til Bandaríkjanna en snýr aftur og kynnist ást, missi og hefndarþorsta. Saga fjölskyldunnar er saga palestínsku þjóðarinnar, flóttamanna í sextíu ár – einlæg og mannleg frásögn sem oft hefur verið líkt við Flugdrekahlauparann.Susan Abulhawa er sjálf barn palestínskra flóttamanna en fluttist til Bandaríkjanna á unglingsárum. Bókin, sem bregður nýju ljósi á deilurnar við botn Miðjarðarhafs, hefur þegar vakið mikla athygli og verið gefin út í fjölmörgum löndum.

Follow Amal's parents as they are driven from their ancestral village by the newly formed state of Israel, as Amal is born in the refugee camp of Jenin, and as they struggle and survive over sixty years of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict, carrying them from Jenin to Jerusalem and Lebanon, and to the anonymity of America.… (more)

102 wanted5 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,043,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible