Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa

Mornings in Jenin (original 2006; edition 2011)

by Susan Abulhawa

Member:polarbear123
Title:Mornings in Jenin
Authors:Susan Abulhawa
Info:Bloomsbury Paperbacks (2011), Paperback, 352 pages

Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa (2006)

English (44)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (49)
Mornings in Jenin is a contentious book, one which goes to the heart of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict. Susan Abulhawa is a Palestinian-American, whose own life story led her to human rights activism, and she is an outspoken critic of Israel and its military campaigns. Her novel is a catalogue of wrongs perpetrated against Palestine since the inception of the State of Israel and it is quite draining to read.

The novel follows the Abulheja family, Yehya and Basima and their two sons, in the Palestinian village of Ein Hod, and how they fare as Israel is established in their ancient homeland. Flouting convention, Hasan falls for a Bedouin girl, Dalia, and marries her, but tragedy strikes when during the Zionist invasion of their village, an Israeli soldier called Moshe gives way to impulse and steals their one of their twins, baby Ismael, for Jolanta, his childless wife, who is a Holocaust survivor who lost her entire family. They rename the baby David, and he disappears out of the story but the reader knows there will be a reunion because he is so recognisable due to scarring on his face.

This wicked theft of a child to recompense an individual for a great wrong done to them, is a not-very-subtle symbol of the taking of Palestinian land to recompense Jews for a great wrong done to them.

To read the rest of my review please visit https://anzlitlovers.com/2016/03/21/mornings-in-jenin-by-susan-abulhawa/ ( )
  anzlitlovers | Aug 15, 2016 |
The wars in Israel between the Jewish and Palestinian people have been ongoing for some time. Generally, we hear about the Jewish people and their fight to keep or attain what they believe is theirs, especially here in the US. This book gives a different perspective, giving a human face to the conflicts from the Palestinian side. I had never considered the conflicts from that point of view, and I am glad that this novel opened up a different world for me. A good book will do that. The tragedy is almost non-ending, but I am guessing that this picture is realistic. The struggles that Amal must handle are intense and frequent, whether in the US or in her hometown of Jenin. I will not look at news from Israel the same again. ( )
  hobbitprincess | Mar 12, 2016 |
Mornings in Jenin (Susan Abulhawa)
This book is the story of Amal Abulheja and her family spanning 54 years. It starts in 1948 when the family is removed from their home in Ein Hod and forced to live as refugees in Jenin. It is a tragic tale of war and loss, yet is also a story of family bonding, love and dedication.

Amal goes through war and conflict between Palestine (Muslims) and Israel (Jewish). She is a strong proud woman, with tragedy following her. The vivid detail of war and terror is heart felt and grabbed me by the heart. It is difficult for one to imagine to live as refuges, with curfews and fear, bombs gunfire and death. The graphic detail of the treatment of the refuges, especially the children was heart wrenching. All the lives lost is saddening. This story left an impression. One that makes me want peace within the world, more than ever before. How this will happen, I have no clue.

I admit I know little of the conflict between Palestine & Israel and I suppose most of the world does not understand, nor know as well. (I could be wrong, but it is my opinion). I found this an unforgettable read. I highly recommend Mornings In Jenin and would love to read more by Ms. Abulhawa. ( )
  SheriAWilkinson | Mar 11, 2016 |
This is a really interesting, emotive read that bridges the gap between fiction and non-fiction seamlessly. Whilst the characters are fictional, the events and emotions are real, and based on the author's own experiences as a child of Palestinian refugees. The story stretches over six decades and follows the life of Amal, and her family, who are removed by the Israelis from their beautiful home in Ein Hod, to live in a refugee camp in Jenin.

A beautifully written book, there are many times when the author's anger and pain is papable. However, my one criticism would be the sudden switch from the usual third person narrative to the first. Whilst I can understand why Susan did this, a heading at the start of these sections would have been useful to give the reader some warning. Overall though, a deeply moving and powerful book. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
Book Club 2010 (second book our, choice)
  deirdrebrown | Nov 6, 2014 |
The everyday life of cramped conditions, poverty, restriction, and the fear of soldiers, guns, checkpoints and beatings, would have been enough to make the novel unforgettable, but Abulhawa's writing also shines, at best assured and unsentimental.

Mornings in Jenin (Susan Abulhawa)

added by SheriAWilkinson | editPrinceton, Il., Sheri A Wilkinson (Dec 13, 1901)

Für Natalie und für Seif
Amal wanted a closer look into the soldier's eyes, but the muzzle of his automatic rifle, pressed against her forehead, would not allow it.
Mornings in Jenin was also published as The Scar of David.

Four generations of a Palestinian family struggle to survive during more than sixty years of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict, finding themselves on both sides of the fighting.
Við stofnun Ísraelsríkis 1948 er palestínsk fjölskylda hrakin úr þorpinu þar sem ættin hefur búið öldum saman og í kjölfarið finnur hún sér hæli í flóttamannabúðunum í Jenín. Á leiðinni hverfur eitt barnanna, ungur drengur sem elst upp í gyðingdómi, en bróðir hans fórnar öllu fyrir málstað Palestínumanna. Systirin Amal flyst til Bandaríkjanna en snýr aftur og kynnist ást, missi og hefndarþorsta. Saga fjölskyldunnar er saga palestínsku þjóðarinnar, flóttamanna í sextíu ár – einlæg og mannleg frásögn sem oft hefur verið líkt við Flugdrekahlauparann.Susan Abulhawa er sjálf barn palestínskra flóttamanna en fluttist til Bandaríkjanna á unglingsárum. Bókin, sem bregður nýju ljósi á deilurnar við botn Miðjarðarhafs, hefur þegar vakið mikla athygli og verið gefin út í fjölmörgum löndum.

Follow Amal's parents as they are driven from their ancestral village by the newly formed state of Israel, as Amal is born in the refugee camp of Jenin, and as they struggle and survive over sixty years of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict, carrying them from Jenin to Jerusalem and Lebanon, and to the anonymity of America.… (more)

100 wanted5 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,263,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible