He Lover of Death by Boris Akunin

He Lover of Death (2001)

by Boris Akunin

Series: Erast Fandorin (9)

I would have enjoyed this book more if all the female characters had not died. Akunin draws characters with a cartoonish noir glee which means, of course, that Masa is about as orientalist as you can get short of Batfink's sidekick Karate. I liked [b:She Lover of Death|6408618|She Lover Of Death (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #8)|Boris Akunin|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/517Nmn2wCnL._SL75_.jpg|3382488] ever so much better. ( )
  veracite | Apr 7, 2013 |
  veracite | Apr 6, 2013 |
  veracite | Apr 5, 2013 |
An interesting slight twist on your average turn of the twentieth century russian detective novel set in Moscow. The detective doesn't appear for a while as you really see the story through the eyes of the street urching Senka. I haven't read any of the other books in the series so I don't know what the detective Fandorin is normally like but he was described at all times by Senka so presumably in other books he may seem quite different. Ok so the story wasn't surprising, neither was it wholly predictable. It was definitely original enough and engaging enough to make me want to read more in the series. ( )
  polarbear123 | Dec 8, 2011 |

Boris Akuninprimary authorall editionscalculated
Braungardt, Ganna-MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bromfield, AndrewTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Of course, that wasn't what she was called to begin with.

Senka Skorikov, orphan and urchin, has been abandoned to the murky world of Moscow's gangster district. While picking a pocket or two, he glimpses the most beautiful woman he has ever seen, and joins the gang of her overlord lover, The Prince, so desperate he is to meet her. Senka climbs the criminal ranks, uncovering a stash of precious metal, and gradually capturing the heart of his beloved Death - so named for the life expectancy of her lovers. But as the bandit community balks at his success on both fronts, threats on his life begin to pour in . A dandy and his 'Chinese' sidekick seem to be taking an inordinate interest in Senka's welfare, and it becomes clear that those threatening Senka are linked to a spate of murders, grizzly even by underworld standards. Fandorin must unweave a tangled web of narcotics, false identities and organised crime - but can he survive an encounter with the ever-alluring Death unscathed? Find out in the darkest Fandorin to date!… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,349,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible