Tunnel Vision by Sara Paretsky

Tunnel Vision (1994)

by Sara Paretsky

Recently added bySamqua, LEFraser, Marie_Powell, miezetatze, JaanaG, mkbird, private library

This is the 8th book in the V.I. Warshawski series, and I really liked some things about this one--V.I.'s fierce protectiveness of some children she fears are caught between two abusive parents, her work for the homeless, and other issues she champions. But there are several things I did not like about her as well, and some of the dialog seemed very contrived and unlikely. And sometimes the plot got so convoluted it was hard to know who was doing what. I have liked this series overall, and hope the next one is something I enjoy more. ( )
  jhoaglin | Feb 19, 2014 |
V.I. Warshawski's funds are getting low and she accepts the case of a women's construction group whose contract was turned down by a bank that had a neighborhood lending policy.

Vic's office building is scheduled for demolition and she finds a woman and the woman's three children living in the basement. One of the woman's children is sickly.

A parallel story shows Vic invited to a retirement dinner at a wealthy couple's home and witnessing the mistreatment of the family's children by both the wife and the influential husband.

I enjoyed the story and the manner in which the author talks about important topics such as irregularities in the construction business, abused women and troubled children from wealthy and impoverished families. With these topics, the author does a nice job of balancing them within the story so the reader is able to follow a complex plot easily. ( )
  mikedraper | Apr 25, 2013 |
Okay, the abridged version of this book is not the way to go. Stopped at about the halfway point (about side 3.5 of 8) after a law enforcement officer brought the parent of a missing child along for the arrest of the kidnapping suspect at the suspect's home.

I can't figure how that would have been any more acceptable or required less of a suspension of disbelief in the full-length version. ( )
  FiberBabble | Mar 30, 2013 |
V.I. Warshawsky and a homeless family and crooked contractors. ( )
  jepeters333 | Aug 31, 2010 |
This is the only one of the Warshawski series I've read all the way through and I enjoyed most of it. Paretsky can get preachy at times which slows things down but this one had little of that. ( )
  jwcooper3 | Nov 15, 2009 |
For Dorothy

"It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and
a good writer."
--E. B. White
Charlotte's Web
When the power went I was finishing a ten-page report.

Stubbornness has landed private eye V.I. Warshawski in big trouble at her Chicago office.  With her grand old Loop building set to be razed, she's become a hold-out tenant amid frayed wiring and scary, empty corridors.  Then she finds a homeless woman with three kids in the basement, and before she can rescue them, they disappear.  Worst of all, she's been implicated in a murder--after the body of Deirdre Messenger, a prominent lawyer's wife, turns up sprawled across her desk.

V.I., who had volunteered with Deirdre at a women's shelter, suspects her death is linked to a case of upper-class domestic abuse so slickly concealed that the police refuse to believe it.  Increasingly at odds with the cops, V.I. is blindly plunging ahead after the truth.  And her path may lead to corruption at the highest levels.or deep into the abandoned tunnels beneath Chicago's streets, where secrets are hiding in the dark like a child's--or V.I.'s--worst nightmare.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:37 -0400)

Private investigator V.I. Warshawski pits her sleuthing skills against high-level government and financial powers when she investigates Home Free, a homeless advocates' group; financial fraud; and murder.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,605,279 books! | Top bar: Always visible