Bullet (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter) by…

Bullet (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter) (edition 2011)

by Laurell K. Hamilton

Member:charlee2
Title:Bullet (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter)
Authors:Laurell K. Hamilton
Info:Jove (2011), Paperback, 432 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Bullet by Laurell K. Hamilton

English (64)  Piratical (1)  French (1)  All languages (66)
This one was a hot mess. ( )
  themjrawr | Dec 1, 2017 |
(lots of spoilers)

Oh, Laurell, how could you disappoint me so?

I'm a long time Anita Blake fan - admittedly her earlier ones more so than the last 10. Her series got so BAD for a while there, and the last few gave me hope again. And then this one... I have no words to express how I feel about this book.

First of all - opening with a ballet scene? Really? I mean, Anita doesn't like to dance, so sure, start with a ballet scene. What did that have to do with anything?? Except to talk about how a little kid likes Anita so much... that's just creepy & sad.

Lots of repeating info - I realize every book in every series does this, but LKH just seems like she takes this to new heights.

And once again - way, way too many characters that you can't keep up with (or care about, or even want to care about), too much kinky sex (and new levels of sex), no plot... no real action (other than said sex)... and of course, the death of a character that COULD have made future books interesting. I personally didn't like Haven... but he was what Anita needed, what LKH needed to make this series interesting again. ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
Bullet is not a plot-driven book; it's a character-driven book. In some ways, Bullet has more in common with literary fiction than genre fiction. Laurell K. Hamilton's books have become less about what the characters are doing than who they are becoming. In Bullet, readers will not find the larger-than-life conflicts and flashy climaxes of early Anita Blake novels. If you like fast-paced action, you're going to be dissatisfied when the majority of a book focuses on the internal workings of the characters' minds.

Inside Anita's mind is exactly where the majority of Bullet's story takes place. This is a fine thing, but readers who long for the days when Anita rushed from one life-or-death emergency to the next will be frustrated. If you like heavy doses of carnal lust (or at least don't mind them), then you'll be rewarded with some interesting character development happening in the midst of, because of, or in spite of the sex. Take your pick.

That being said, sex, while abundant and one of the driving forces of Bullet, is not the focus. Bullet is almost exclusively focused on Anita's private struggles. The conflict is about Anita working her internal issues and the external forces feel like little more than scaffolding raised to hold together the architecture of a novel. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
This has to go back in the to-read box until I download a better file... ugh, that was annoying! ( )
  BethanyMoore | May 13, 2016 |
There's lots of sex in this book, it makes sense for the story line. Anita is having to deal with the weretigers and making all of them her animal to call as Master of the Tigers. She just needs a gold tiger to be able to do it. Why does she need to do this? Marmee Noir isn't as dead as they thought. She's possessed by the vampire council and what she's really after is Anita's body to live in. First though she has to deal with Haven the Rex. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |

Laurell K. Hamiltonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chernik, EchoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"One mustn't look at the abyss, because there is at the bottom an inexpressible charm which attracts us." - Gustave Flaubert
To Jonathon, who has stood at my side and looked into the abyss and found both charm, attraction, and love, for we are not made up of only our light and happiness but also of darkness and sorrow. To deny the darkness of yourself is to deny half of who you are, and when you love, truly love, you need to love the whole person not just the part that smiles and waves, but the part that thinks murderous thoughts and knows that pain is both pleasure and temptation, but still thinks puppies are really cute.
I was worming my way through a mass of parents and children with a tiny clown hat clutched in one hand.
If I had ever wanted to give in to hysterics, it was then. How do you fight something with no body to kill? How do you fight something that can possess the most powerful vampires in the world and use them like puppets? How the fuck does anyone fight something like that?

Anita Blake is back in St. Louis and trying to live a normal life—as normal as possible for someone who is a legal vampire executioner and a U. S. Marshal. There are lovers, friends and their children, school programs to attend. In the midst of all the ordinary happiness a vampire from Anita's past reaches out. She was supposed to be dead, killed in an explosion, but the Mother of All Darkness is the first vampire, their dark creator. It's hard to kill a god. This dark goddess has reached out to her here—in St. Louis, home of everyone Anita loves most. The Mother of All Darkness has decided she has to act now or never, to control Anita, and all the vampires in America.

The Mother of All Darkness believes that the triumvirate created by master vampire Jean-Claude with Anita and the werewolf Richard Zeeman has enough power for her to regain a body and to immigrate to the New World. But the body she wants to possess is already taken. Anita is about to learn a whole new meaning to sharing her body, one that has nothing to do with the bedroom. And if the Mother of All Darkness can't succeed in taking over Anita's body for herself, she means to see that no one else has the use of it, ever again. Even Belle Morte, not always a friend to Anita, has sent word: "Run if you can..."

Assassins are coming to St. Louis to kill master vampire Jean-Claude, necromancer Anita Blake, and werewolf Richard Zeeman. Anita knows they're coming, but even being forewarned doesn't mean the triumvirate will win.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,448,349 books! | Top bar: Always visible