Almost to Die For: A Vampire Princess Novel…

Almost to Die For: A Vampire Princess Novel (Vampire Princess of St. Paul) (edition 2010)

by Tate Hallaway

Member:eliselb
Title:Almost to Die For: A Vampire Princess Novel (Vampire Princess of St. Paul)
Authors:Tate Hallaway
Info:NAL Trade (2010), Paperback, 256 pages

Almost to Die For by Tate Hallaway

Read the full Review at Witchmag's Boekenplank

From the start I had a problem with Ana’s mother. Protecting your child from monsters? No problem. But the monsters didn’t feel like monsters at all. And the reaction Ana’s mother had, was way overboard. This could be because I’ve read too much Twilight books were vampires aren’t monsters anymore, at least not all of them ;) But putting a spell on your daughter is way over the line…

I also didn’t like Nikolai very much. He acted much too soon with certain things and he didn’t even try to see Ana’s side of the story when he, as a vampire killer, is confronted with her family. I seriously hope she dumps him for Elias who had always wanted the best for her and he’s just so cute ^^

I like the idea behind this story. Especially the fresh, intriguing and unusual way vampires are described in this book. Although sadly enough they still can’t stand the sun ;) . I look forward to find out more about them and what kind of surprises the vampire culture will bring ;)

The ending was a little too soon. I liked the fight between mom and dad, but everything fizzled out. I’d loved to see a bit more action. Not that I like to see dead or hurt witches and vampires, but there was so much tension at the end of the book that I was a bit disappointed that it ended like that, I expected a bit more ;)

Overall rating 3 hearts. It was a nice story to read, but the ending was weak. The idea on the other hand was very refreshing and well done, although the love triangle is a bit cliché ;). Oh well, when it’s written well, it’s worth reading ;) ( )
  Iris-Boekenplank | Nov 17, 2013 |
I couldn't even finish this. It is a terrible book. I wrote a long review for Amazon, so I won't repeat here. ( )
  Melumebelle | Aug 8, 2013 |
For such a short book, it was a great read! it take an idea that’s not quite new, and puts a new spin on it. The writing in the book is quick and fun to read. The characters were also quite memorable and extremely likable.

The magic part of the book was simple, yet satisfying. It was fun to read Bea do her little spells with a simple “zap”. Plus, it was fun to see the magic at work. The plot itself was really good and easy to follow. Ana has wit, and her thoughts are extremely entertaining and funny to read. Naturally, in nearly all YA’s out there, there is a love triangle in the making, but it’s not cheesy or overdone. Both Nikolai and Elias are likable in their own way although I’d have to say, I’m leaning towards Elias a lot more.

I’ve read one other of Hallaway’s books and enjoyed it as well, so I’m going to continue reading this series. It’s enjoyable and a fun light read without any overbearing cliches and cheesiness. Give this one a try if you’re into paranormal YA and want something quick between long epic reads. ( )
  sensitivemuse | Feb 10, 2013 |
My rating: 3.5 starsI loved the basic plot of the story, but I don't think the ending was really all that climactic after the huge build-up of suspense. Despite this book being normal novel length, it still felt like an incredibly light read and there wasn't much progress in the plot at all. I also completely hated Ana's mom and it got on my nerves how no one else was hating on her as much as would be obvious because of her behavior. But like I said, the basic plot is extremely interesting, so I'll probably be reading the next books in the series. ( )
1 vote DijaK | Feb 6, 2012 |
I’m going to start off by saying that I LOVE Tate Hallaway but unfortunately this is not my favorite work by her. I absolutely loved her Garnet Lacey series, which was an adult paranormal series filled with vampires, witches, goddesses and other magical beings! Almost To Die For is her new YA paranormal series, and while I really liked the premise, I felt the book was too short and rushed.
It’s Ana’s 16th birthday, and this doesn’t just mean sweet 16 parties with giggling girls and birthday cake, because Ana is also a witch. Turning 16 is an important age in Ana’s coven, and it is her turn to take her initiation test and finally join in the inner circle. The test is pretty simple and a basic spell would be easy for any young witch, except Ana has a secret…..she can’t do magic…nadda…none.
Things get a little more complicated when her long lost father shows up. Ana’s mother promptly freaks out and cast a spell on him that would be deadly to any human. She soon learns the shocking truth…She has vampire blood running through her veins, and they are the witches’ sworn enemy. Ana is now torn between two worlds. One she was raised in and one she didn’t even know existed.
Ana goes back and forth between her mother’s world and her father’s world in the book, and the reader gets a glimpse of both. While I loved the characters I wanted more detail in both the raising action and the climactic battle at the end. I was very interested in the vampire’s world. Every paranormal author likes to put their own twist on the classic blood suckers, and I love reading what they come up with. Hallaway is no different. She made an underground world where vampires sleep during the day in humid recessed wall cubbies….in the nude, no less. Descendants from the underworld they became slaves to the witches long ago. While Ana father is the king of their world now, not every vampire wants to serve him. Some still believe they should do the witches bidding and are rising against him. This means they are also coming for Ana.
While Ana tries to sneak around her mother’s watchful eye, dodge rebel vampires against the king, and figure out as much about her heritage as she can, she is also crushing on a rather hunky member of her coven….Only he hunts vampires!
I really want to read the next book in this series and hope the story is not only longer but evolves more and offers more details on each side of Ana’s life. ( )
  ShadowKissed | Jan 26, 2012 |
Guess what?

On her sixteenth birthday, Anastasija Parker learns that her so-called deadbeat dad is actually a vampire king. And he wants Ana to assume her rightful position at his side, in spite of the fact that she has witch’s blood running through her veins-from her mother’s side.

Too bad witches and vampires are mortal enemies. And now Ana’s parents are at each other’s throats over her future. It’s up to Ana to make a choice, but deciding your eternal destiny is a pretty big deal for a girl who just wants to get through high school.

On her 16th birthday, Anastasija Parker learns that her so-called deadbeat dad is actually a vampire king.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,975,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible