Almost to Die For: A Vampire Princess Novel…

Almost to Die For: A Vampire Princess Novel (Vampire Princess of St. Paul) (edition 2010)

by Tate Hallaway

Member:eliselb
Title:Almost to Die For: A Vampire Princess Novel (Vampire Princess of St. Paul)
Authors:Tate Hallaway
Info:NAL Trade (2010), Paperback, 256 pages

Almost to Die For by Tate Hallaway

Read the full review at Witchmag's Boekenplank

From the start I had a problem with Ana’s mother. Protecting your child from monsters? No problem. But the monsters didn’t feel like monsters at all. And the reaction Ana’s mother had, was way overboard. This could be because I’ve read too much Twilight books were vampires aren’t monsters anymore, at least not all of them But putting a spell on your daughter is way over the line…

I also didn’t like Nikolai very much. He acted much too soon with some certain things and he doesn’t een try to see Ana’s side of the story when he, as a vampire killer, is confronted with her family. I seriously hope she dumps him for Elias who had always wanted the best for her and he’s just so cute ^^

I like the idea behind this story. Especially the fresh, intriguing and unusual way vampires are described in this book. Although sadly enough they still can’t stand the sun . I look forward to find out more about them and what kind of surprises the vampire culture will bring

Overall rating 3 hearts. It was a nice story to read, but the ending was weak. The idea on the other hand was very refreshing and well done, although the love triangle is a bit cliché ;). Oh well, when it’s written well, it’s worth reading ( )
  CarpeLibra | Aug 16, 2015 |
Read the full Review at Witchmag's Boekenplank

From the start I had a problem with Ana’s mother. Protecting your child from monsters? No problem. But the monsters didn’t feel like monsters at all. And the reaction Ana’s mother had, was way overboard. This could be because I’ve read too much Twilight books were vampires aren’t monsters anymore, at least not all of them ;) But putting a spell on your daughter is way over the line…

I also didn’t like Nikolai very much. He acted much too soon with certain things and he didn’t even try to see Ana’s side of the story when he, as a vampire killer, is confronted with her family. I seriously hope she dumps him for Elias who had always wanted the best for her and he’s just so cute ^^

I like the idea behind this story. Especially the fresh, intriguing and unusual way vampires are described in this book. Although sadly enough they still can’t stand the sun ;) . I look forward to find out more about them and what kind of surprises the vampire culture will bring ;)

The ending was a little too soon. I liked the fight between mom and dad, but everything fizzled out. I’d loved to see a bit more action. Not that I like to see dead or hurt witches and vampires, but there was so much tension at the end of the book that I was a bit disappointed that it ended like that, I expected a bit more ;)

Overall rating 3 hearts. It was a nice story to read, but the ending was weak. The idea on the other hand was very refreshing and well done, although the love triangle is a bit cliché ;). Oh well, when it’s written well, it’s worth reading ;) ( )
  Iris-Boekenplank | Nov 17, 2013 |
I couldn't even finish this. It is a terrible book. I wrote a long review for Amazon, so I won't repeat here. ( )
  Melumebelle | Aug 8, 2013 |
For such a short book, it was a great read! it take an idea that’s not quite new, and puts a new spin on it. The writing in the book is quick and fun to read. The characters were also quite memorable and extremely likable.

The magic part of the book was simple, yet satisfying. It was fun to read Bea do her little spells with a simple “zap”. Plus, it was fun to see the magic at work. The plot itself was really good and easy to follow. Ana has wit, and her thoughts are extremely entertaining and funny to read. Naturally, in nearly all YA’s out there, there is a love triangle in the making, but it’s not cheesy or overdone. Both Nikolai and Elias are likable in their own way although I’d have to say, I’m leaning towards Elias a lot more.

I’ve read one other of Hallaway’s books and enjoyed it as well, so I’m going to continue reading this series. It’s enjoyable and a fun light read without any overbearing cliches and cheesiness. Give this one a try if you’re into paranormal YA and want something quick between long epic reads. ( )
  sensitivemuse | Feb 10, 2013 |
My rating: 3.5 starsI loved the basic plot of the story, but I don't think the ending was really all that climactic after the huge build-up of suspense. Despite this book being normal novel length, it still felt like an incredibly light read and there wasn't much progress in the plot at all. I also completely hated Ana's mom and it got on my nerves how no one else was hating on her as much as would be obvious because of her behavior. But like I said, the basic plot is extremely interesting, so I'll probably be reading the next books in the series. ( )
1 vote DijaK | Feb 6, 2012 |
Guess what?

On her sixteenth birthday, Anastasija Parker learns that her so-called deadbeat dad is actually a vampire king. And he wants Ana to assume her rightful position at his side, in spite of the fact that she has witch’s blood running through her veins-from her mother’s side.

Too bad witches and vampires are mortal enemies. And now Ana’s parents are at each other’s throats over her future. It’s up to Ana to make a choice, but deciding your eternal destiny is a pretty big deal for a girl who just wants to get through high school.

On her 16th birthday, Anastasija Parker learns that her so-called deadbeat dad is actually a vampire king.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,071,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible