Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson

The Mistborn Trilogy

by Brandon Sanderson

I've reviewed these separately at FanLit:
http://www.fantasyliterature.com/fantasy-author/sandersonbrandon ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
The Mistborn trilogy is phenomenal! I was hooked on Sanderson as I read the last three books of Robert Jordan's wheel of Time - his storytelling and writing is better than Jordan's in my view, though that doesn't take away from an incredible and, at the time, unique series.

I've now read everything Sanderson has written - except for the Alcatraz series - and I'm an unashamed fan. :) ( )
  Camy-Sussex | Feb 26, 2014 |
I only read Mistborn (the first book) so far. The story is very well written, and original. Things you couldn't have imagined ;). the characters are well worked out, well the main characters. ( )
  Farore | Feb 7, 2014 |
Summary: My favorite magical world of all time! ( )
  6boysandme | Jul 16, 2013 |
More reviews at: http://www.onstarshipsanddragonwings.com/2010/12/05/mistborn/

Many people know about Brandon Sanderson because he’s finishing up the Wheel of Time series, but I had sadly never heard of him before last year. Thankfully, a friend remedied this by loaning me the first in the Mistborn trilogy, and now I’m definitely addicted to Sanderson. He actually was at a convention in my area last year and I’m so upset with myself that I didn’t know about him and therefore was not motivated to go!

Title: The series is Mistborn trilogy, and the first book is also called Mistborn
Author: Brandon Sanderson
Length: Trilogy, each book is about 650 pages (paperback)
Strengths:
Unexpected but totally fitting plot twists
The first book stands alone wonderfully, and only at the end do you realize how much more there is to know about this world
Completely new (as far as I’m aware) magic systems! Metal is used as a fuel/storage for eight (to begin with) super human powers. Physics is also taken into account :D
Completely new and interesting cultures and races that are definitely not traditional fantasy.
Amazing battle scenes, wow can Sanderson write!
The characters are entertaining, and they get much better developed later on
Weaknesses:
I didn’t get as attached to the characters as I do with some books, Sanderson is clearly a plot writer
The first book focuses a lot on political stuff as they work to bring down a dictatorship, and I had trouble keeping with it at first.
There is a lot of death and Sanderson does not always spare the details
Sanderson really wants you to fear and despise his bad guys, so he plays upon modern day fears with his Inquisitors (they have spikes through their eyes, gross)
Summary: Really, really amazing books that I highly recommend, as long as you have the stomach for it. Sometimes they are scary, often they are a bit gory, but it’s totally worth it for the amazing world that Sanderson has come up with. ( )
  anyaejo | Feb 16, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076536543X, Mass Market Paperback)

The New York Times bestselling series from Brandon Sanderson.

This boxed set contains:
Mistborn
The Well of Ascension
The Hero of Ages

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:45 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,696,913 books! | Top bar: Always visible