Whom God Would Destroy by Commander Pants

Whom God Would Destroy (edition 2009)

by Commander Pants

Member:Kythe42
Title:Whom God Would Destroy
Authors:Commander Pants
Info:Pantsateria (2009), Paperback, 316 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, Own
Tags:Aliens, Comedy, Commander Pants, Fiction, Humor, Satire, Science Fiction

Whom God Would Destroy by Commander Pants

aliens (2) Big Macs (1) check-metadata (1) comedy (1) Commander Pants (2) fiction (4) humor (1) imported (1) K (1) Kindle (1) life (1) nlil (1) psychiatry (1) R (1) read in 2010 (1) reality (1) review copy (1) romance (1) satire (1) science fiction (2) sex (1) sff (1) signed (2) television (1) to-read (3) weird (1)

Whom God Would Destroy by Commander Pants is a satirical novel that makes fun of both religion and the mental health industry. In this story a mental health caseworker named Oliver meets Jeremy, the owner of a new age shop, through one of his clients. Oliver quickly becomes enamored with the extremely charismatic shop owner, and begins to rethink his life while Jeremy does everything in his power to recruit Oliver as his first follower. In addition to Jeremy trying to bring about a new religious movement, this novel also follows the stories of multiple mental health patients who aren't quite as ill as they appear. I thought this book was hilarious and I highly recommend it. Please don't read it though if you think you will be easily offended by the subject matter, which includes explicit sex as well as the religious and mental health satire. ( )
  Kythe42 | Apr 26, 2015 |
Oliver is an outreach counselor for the mentally ill, which mainly involves making sure they get to their doctor appointments. His clients include Abbey, who may or may not have multiple personalities; Greg, who may or may not be turning into his therapist; and Doc, who may or may not be communicating with aliens who demand Big Macs. Meanwhile, the ultra-charismatic Jeremy, who may or may not be Jesus, has opened a new age shop and started a television show on public access to spread his message of selfishness. Confused? Believe it or not, the story wasn't so difficult to follow as long as you just went with it, accepting whatever bizarre new twist was thrown at you. (I've found a similar approach is helpful when reading Douglas Adams novels.) This is a bizarre tale of religion, drugs, sex, extraterrestrials, mental illness, and fast food, full of cynical humor and truly strange characters. I would suggest that anyone who is very sensitive about any of these issues (most especially religion) give this one a miss, but if you're more cynical and/or apathetic, you might find the insanity rather enjoyable. I'll be curious to see if Commander Pants writes anything else, or if he chooses a different pen name for each novel. ( )
  melydia | May 19, 2011 |
Cover

Looking at the cover puts many thoughts into one's mind ... vastness of space, timelessness, possibility of aliens, God or another omnipresent being, etc. It leaves the imagination open and ready for explanation.

Plot

This novel has left me unsure of what to think about it. There's an all-knowing, omnipresent being in human form, there's a seemingly crazy man who believes in aliens, there's a girl with multiple personalities who has a case worker willing to do almost anything to be with her and then there's a Big Mac fanatic loving species willing to do anything to have the delectable sandwich all the time ... and that's not even all of it!

Sarcastic and snarky humor abounds between the covers of this novel, but it doesn't deter from the action, intrigue or alien abductions. Many times I wondered where this story was heading. Were some of the scenes delusional thinking or were they really happening to the character?

Main Characters

Jeremy - A charismatic business owner, new to town and likes to mess with people.

Oliver - A professional and personal door mat who doesn't know how to stick up for himself ... until he meets Jeremy.

Arnold - Believes himself to be a doctor and believes in the OOklah, an alien species.

Overall

This novel is definitely quirky and unique. It is extremely well-written and will keep you entertained. I would recommend this novel to anyone who likes something ... different. ( )
  MRShemery | Apr 3, 2011 |
Article first published as Book Review: Whom God Would Destroy by Commander Pants on Blogcritics
We often have to ask ourselves, what is reality? Just because my reality is different from someone else’s, does that make it wrong? What would happen if God chose to come into the 21st century to live among us? Would he be surprised or would he fit in and go with the flow. In Whom God Would Destroy, Commander Pants has written a satirical look at an entirely different existence than the one that consumes us. In this light-hearted and satirical story, he has created a twisted and alternate truth.

In this comedic look at what happens when conspiracy and psychiatry mingle with aliens, Commander Pants' characterizations in the different plots and subplots have you scratching your head and mumbling to yourself. While he creates dreamscapes and landscapes, the characters come alive with theories and plots of their own. As you follow the flow from each direction, it is like stepping off into a void. One moment you are sane and then you join the Mad Hatters tea party, where anything can happen. Then it does. This is “A Novel about taking reality with a pillar of salt.”

Whom God Would Destroy has a way of making you question the way you look at life and the things you think you know. As Commander Pants delves into religion and sanity with a deft hand, he launches aliens in the mix by introducing them to McDonalds' Big Mac, and the ultimate orgasm. Only an extraordinary mind can juggle such an extreme cast of characters and storylines and still come out with an interesting and slightly hysterical novel. Follow along with a zany cast, find yourself kidnapped by aliens, then buckle up and enjoy the ride.

Through it all, as God settles in to reach the masses, he develops a new term for the quality of life: Meism. A charismatic character that attracts all of the wrong kinds of people, he only adds to the level of satire, inherent in the theme of the entire novel.

If you like satire and enjoy a good laugh, Whom God Would Destroy is the book for you. It would be interesting reading for a book club or reading group. Following the characters and watching how they come together to make for a fully realized read, would lend tidbits to talk about for hours. This is an uncomfortable and often laugh out-loud book, sure to stir your thoughts

This book was received as a free copy from the Author. All opinions are my own based off me reading and understanding of the material. ( )
  wrighton-time | Mar 16, 2011 |
Welcome to another book I'm having a hard time reviewing. Whom God Would Destroy does not fit easily into the traditional good/bad categories.

Let me start here, I really enjoyed reading Whom God Would Destroy. But, here's a little secret, I read for characters, not action. And Commander Pants is really good with characters. This book is filled with interesting, entertaining characters. People who feel real. Given how strange some of these characters are, it would be very easy to go off the rails and end up with farcically drawn comic book characters. But, even at their most insane, Pants' characters still feel real.

Of course, a book is not just a collection of characters. There also needs to be a plot. And this is where the problem is. Whom God Would Destroy doesn't so much have a plot as a collection of themes. The Vagaries Of Mental Health: it's in there. The Nature of God To Man: yep, got that, too. The Dissatisfaction That Comes From Looking For a Perfect Experience: in spades, my friends. Reality Is a Collection Of Layers, One More Complex Than the Next, and In The Whole Scheme Of Things Humans Understand Just As Much About The Universe As Bacteria Understand Quantum Physics: of course. One Man's Crazy Is Another Man's Truth: do I even need to mention it?

Instead of a plot, let us say there are two main themes. The Nature of God to Man, and One Man's Crazy is Another Man's Truth. Interestingly enough both involve aliens. Theme A is illustrated by the story of Jeremy, an alien playing God for kicks and giggles. (He gave the Jews the Shema, He did the Christ routine, and this time around He's apparently been reading some Heinlein, 'cause He sounds an awful lot like Valentine Michael Smith, you grok?) He's messing with humanity again because He enjoys it. He finds Oliver, an outreach counselor for a local mental health facility, and decides Oliver would be a perfect disciple. A modern day Paul if you will. So, in line A we watch as Jeremy manipulates Oliver into Discipleship. For Theme B we follow Doc, one of Oliver's clients, and learn about how Doc is being used by an alien race in search of the PERFECT experience. (The Ultimate Orgasm, they term it so mere humans can understand the idea.) They find said experience in Big Macs (why not?) and Doc is part of the team of humans being used to make sure they get their Big Mac fix.

As themes these two lines have similar focuses and illustrate different aspects of the same concepts (the levels of reality, for example). But as a story, they just don't have a whole lot to do with each other. What the book is missing is an overarching plot to tie these themes together.

Let me be clear here, Whom God Would Destroy is worth reading. It's five or so hours well spent. But if you want to examine it critically, there's a huge hole in the middle of it, and that's the plot. Whom God Would Destroy meanders from one character to the next, spending time in their interesting worlds, getting to know them, but it's lacking in direction.

Take Greg for example. He's my favorite character in the book. His purpose in the book is to illustrate how psychology isn't all that precise and with great ego comes the ability for a great fall. I really like his story line and think it's quite clever. But if you cut every scene with him as the main character out, it would have absolutely no bearing on the story. He's not vital or even tangentially related to either of the main themes. On his own and developed more fully he'd be a wicked cool novel or novella. As a part of this story, he's just there. Greg is a microcosm for what's right and wrong with Whom God Would Destroy. He's well written, he's fascinating, as a reader you want to get to know him better, and he's totally divorced from any plot the book may have.

So, how does a reviewer rank a book that was enjoyable, with well drawn characters and no real plot? Pants knows how to use words. His writing is clear and, if not poetic, well crafted for the purpose of the book. His themes and the way he treats them is not precisely new (see Heinlein comment above) but well done. His characters really are excellent. But plot is a major issue, and it's a writing 101 level skill. The whole purpose of a novel is to have something happen that ties all the elements of the story (characters, setting, writing style) together. And that's just not in this story.

I'll call Whom God Would Destroy a well recommended 3 stars. ( )
  Keryl | Jan 29, 2011 |

It's 1987, and "God" has returned to Earth to goof on humanity once more. Equipped with a new message, and a bell that makes people happy, he opens up a new age store, ready to have a little fun. Fortunately for us, things don't turn out quite as He'd planned. Whom God Would Destroy is a thought provoking novel about God, insanity, Big Macs, space aliens and the search for the Ultimate Orgasm...but mostly it's about taking reality with a pillar of salt. Luke Rhinehart (author of the cult classic, The Dice Man) calls WHOM GOD WOULD DESTROY, "a wonderful novel with an original comic vision and style that had me laughing aloud. Commander Pants has created a unique cast of characters and tells a story that gets increasingly mad as we proceed, climaxing in a series of scenes, each one topping the previous one."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:49 -0400)

Commander Pants is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,621,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible