The Forbidden Rose by Joanna Bourne

The Forbidden Rose

by Joanna Bourne

Just excellent. I'm short on time (my mother broke a bone in her foot and she's 86) but this continues Bourne's excellent characters who actually have had real pasts and who feel more like people who are actually involved in spying might be.

Bourne also doesn't fall into the trap of "well the heroine is good but the hero saves the day."

I did have some minor qualms that the main characters end up being a little more reluctant to kill people than they should have been.

Oh, and there are two marvelous, marvelous secondary characters, Adrian and Justine who just leap off the page for me.

Adolescents (12 & 14 I think) who are much too old because of what they have seen and done. And an English spymistress in London who more than makes up in ruthlessness for the qualms I have about the main characters.

Buy this book! It makes the "ebook and paper" purchase for me. ( )
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
My first re-read of Doyle and Maggie. Not as much of a favorite as THE SPYMASTER'S LADY or MY LORD AND SPYMASTER, but still a fantastic romance that is worth coming back to. ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
I've had this one on my TBR for ages and I really don't know what took me so long to read it. However, inspired by the DABWAHA tournament, I decided to pick it up. I'm very glad I did. This is kind of a prequel to Bourne's first book, The Spymaster's Lady. Set shortly after the revolution in France, it follows the story of English spy Doyle and French aristocrat Marguerite. Bourne has such a wonderful touch with prose. You can tell when the point of view is from an Englishman or a Frenchwoman - there's just something in the way the words are placed which make it obvious. And her phrasing, the pictures painted with words are just beautiful. Here's a couple I particularly noted: She could become lost in this man, in territories of amazement, countries of sensation. and She did not rush to fill the silence up, in case LeBreton might have a use for it.The connection between the characters, how they related to one another and saw through one another and did not jump to misplaced conclusions about one another was refreshing and much appreciated. At the start of the book, both the hero and heroine are pretending to be someone else - but rather than making it the obvious "Big Mis" story, Ms. Bourne told another (and much more satisfying) tale. I was so inspired, afterwards, I went and read The Spymaster's Lady again and then I ordered My Lord & Spymaster too. When I checked the author's website, I was happy to see that Adrian's story is coming out later this year. I'm very much looking forward to his story - we meet Justine (his lady) in TFR. ( )
  Kaetrin | Aug 13, 2012 |
I picked this book up because I was in the mood for a really passionate historical romance. Instead, it seemed to me way too much historical intrigue and not nearly enough romance. The story was good, the writing was fine, I just never really bonded with The Forbidden Rose. I'd recommend it to those who enjoy political intrigue--you'll probably get a lot more out of the plotline and characterizations than I did. Skip it if you're looking to be swept off your feet by enviable love scenes and sexual antics. ( )
1 vote dissed1 | Jun 14, 2011 |
As gripping and entertaining as ever. Deducted half a point for the sex in prison when they should have had other things on their minds... ( )
2 vote gollywollypogs | Jul 22, 2010 |
"You have not been foolish," she said. "But you have been unlucky. The results are indistinguishable."

A glittering French aristocrat is on the run, disguised as a British governess. England's top spy has a score to settle with her family. But as they're drawn inexorably into the intrigue and madness of Revolutionary Paris, they gamble on a love to which neither of them will admit.… (more)

Joanna Bourne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

68 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,253,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible