The Search by Nora Roberts

The Search (edition 2011)

by Nora Roberts

Member:lilfries
Title:The Search
Authors:Nora Roberts
Info:Jove (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Mystery

The Search by Nora Roberts

English (57)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (60)
I love Nora Roberts when she writes as J.D. Robb. I have yet to have the same feeling for her other books. This one took FOREVER to get to any suspense and it was so contrived. ( )
  sgilbraith | Feb 8, 2019 |
4 Stars

Synopsis:
Fiona Bristow trains search and rescue dogs, and is the only survivor of the Red Scarf Killer. Now, just as her life has taken a new romantic turn with sexy wood artist, Simon Doyle, Fiona has become the target of her tormentor’s apprentice. Can she outwit this vicious murderer and save his latest victim, or will she perish in the attempt?

Review:
Nora Roberts is a gifted storyteller and this is no exception. The witty banter between her characters is particularly enjoyable, although I must say that Simon’s brusqueness takes some getting used to. Nevertheless, his chemistry with Fiona is potent and their relationship develops in an engaging way.
The serial killer plot is where the tale takes a troublesome turn. To begin with, his identity is revealed far to early and I prefer following clues and figuring it out for myself. Second, his motivations are indistinct and poorly detailed, and finally, despite the excellent build up of tension throughout the book, the conclusion is disappointing and anti-climactic.
Recommendation: These faults reflect my own personal peeves and that said, this is a highly entertaining read for fans and newbies alike. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
I feel like I actually learned something about training dogs from reading this. Of course, taken with a strong dose of salt. Roberts' abilities at writing suspense seem to be improving, even though this story line mimics that of "Angel Fall" rather closely. The female lead is strong, obstinate, but not annoyingly so, which seems to be a problem in so many romances. However, I still have a beef with the characters talking so damn much. To each other, I mean, and about their problems. "I am going to do such and such, and you are not going to do such and such and this is why..." it's as though somewhere along the line self-psychology became the norm for romance novelists. It's vaguely annoying. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
Nora Roberts is a compete comfort read for me and this didn't disappoint. All her favorite elements making it a successful if fairly standard romance. ( )
  nautilus | Sep 20, 2017 |
My interests have moved away from romance novels - but I occasionally get a recommendation from someone I have to take. My dad, yes that's what I said, told me I'd love this book. And he wasn't kidding. The main character trains search and rescue dogs - hence, the title. Her understanding of dog behavior and training transfers to her understanding of human behavior. For the most part that works. No spoilers here - Roberts has written a fast paced story full of interesting characters (including the dogs), a lovely setting and an excellent plot full of twists and turns. My dad really enjoyed the dogs - that's what he told me, but I bet he didn't mind the steamy sections either. I didn't. ( )
  TerryLewis | Jun 12, 2017 |

Nora Robertsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Domínguez Palomo, Ana IsabelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eby, TanyaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodríguez Barrena, María del MarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

To most people, Fiona Bristow seems to have an idyllic life-a quaint house on an island off Seattle's coast, a thriving dog-training school, and a challenging volunteer job performing canine search and rescues. Not to mention her three intensely loyal Labs. But Fiona got to this point by surviving a nightmare...

Several years ago, Fiona was the only survivor of the Red Scarf serial killer, who shot and killed Fiona's cop fiancé and his K-9 partner.

On Orcas Island, Fiona found the peace and solitude she needed to rebuild her life. But all that changes on the day Simon Doyle barrels up her drive, desperate for her help. He's the reluctant owner of an out-of-control puppy, foisted upon him by his mother. Jaws has eaten through Simon's house, and he's at his wit's end.

To Fiona, Jaws is nothing she can't handle. Simon, however, is another matter. A newcomer to Orcas, he's a rugged and in-tensely private artist, known for the exquisite furniture he creates from wood. Simon never wanted a puppy-and he most definitely doesn't want a woman. Besides, the lanky redhead is not his type. But tell that to his hormones.

As Fiona embarks on training Jaws, and Simon begins to appreciate both dog and trainer, the past tears back into Fiona's life. A copycat killer has emerged out of the shadows, a man whose bloodlust has been channeled by a master with one motive: to reclaim the woman who slipped out of his hands...

Fiona, a dog trainer who performs canine search-and-rescue missions, is devastated after her fiancé is murdered, but her emotions are rekindled when Simon, a newcomer to town, brings his puppy Jaws to her for obedience training.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,433,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible