The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, &…

The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, & June (edition 2010)

by Robin Benway

Collections:Your library, Read
Rating:*****
Tags:hb

The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May & June by Robin Benway

THE CUTE. That is what this book is. So freaking adorable. I’ve read one Robin Benway book before this, but I tried the audio, and I feel like the adorbs did not translate quite as well to the audiobook format. Anyway, I totally understand why people want Benway books with their cuteness. Also, I totally will use the words cute and adorable until they cease having any meaning throughout the course of this review, so deal with it. Honestly, it’s Robin Benway’s fault, because all I can say is CUTE CUTE CUTE.

Read the full review at A Reader of Fictions. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Apr 8, 2014 |
Pros:
* What if you woke up with super powers?
* What if you still had to go to high school?

Cons:
* A bit fluffy
* It feels like there is subtext, but it's buried too deep.

I enjoyed this novel a lot, which is odd because I usually don't like multiple POVs. I thought the author did a good job giving the girls each a unique voice, so even if you skipped the chapter header, you knew who's head you were in.

The thing that bugged me was that the whole novel it felt like there was something going on behind the surface, for instance May's feelings of loneliness and her power being invisibility, but it never came around for the other girls.

Also, and it may be because I just finished Lauren Oliver's "Before I Fall," but I kept expecting that there would some consequence for changing the future. ( )
  ErikaWasTaken | Sep 22, 2013 |
Sisters, April, May and June are dealing with their parents divorce. They move to a new town with their mom and think everything is falling apart until they discover they have special powers. April can see the future, May can disappear, and June can read people's thoughts. I liked how close the sisters were and when I read their names I kept thinking of the months. They have their own personality but together they are amazing. Some things were predictable, like them using their powers for their own good. May not dealing with things and just disappearing or June using her powers to be popular. ( )
  ArielDean | Apr 26, 2013 |
Sisters April, May and June thought their parent's divorce, and the move to a new town and a new school had turned their lives upside down...but all those changes are nothing to what happens when they realize they have psychic powers! April can see the future, May can disappear, and June can read people's thoughts. As if high school wasn't confusing enough already!

I've been looking forward to this book ever since 'Audrey, Wait!', and I'm glad to see it didn't disappoint. It has that same fun, gossipy tone, and true to life teenage feel as 'Audrey' did, and some how the inclusion of psychic powers doesn't make the book and less realistic. Benway also got the dynamic between sisters down so well I was surprised to read in an interview she is an only child.

Another thoroughly enjoyable read from Robin Benway. I'll definitely be waiting for her next book agan. ( )
  shojo_a | Apr 4, 2013 |

shojo_a | Apr 4, 2013 |
"We are an impossibility in an impossible universe." --Ray Bradbury
"There is a crack in everything/That's how the light gets in..."--Leonard Cohen, "Anthem"
For all the extraordinary ordinary girls
I hate being the oldest.

After their parents' divorce, teenaged sisters April, May, and June recover special powers from childhood and use them to cope with moving to a new home and high school, but wonder if the gifts have a greater purpose.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,310,478 books! | Top bar: Always visible